Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Custom Firmware v1.1.2.8

I will do this soon!

JockyW

Custom Firmware v 1.1.2.8 doesnīt work on WinXP

I canīt use 1.1.2.8 on XP.

The Update work fine but there is a problem...

I use the Asus device discovery to connect with the WL.
    If i use the Link: "Share" i canīt get any connection with the drive.

The custom 1.1.2.7 hasnīt the problem.

Can you help me out?

FoxG

Sorry for my english.

ASUS HDD and DBOX2

kann anybody tell me his settings for the ASUS HDD and the DBOX2 ?
    I want to stream whith the ASUS HDD.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fox_Green
    I canīt use 1.1.2.8 on XP.

The Update work fine but there is a problem...

I use the Asus device discovery to connect with the WL.
    If i use the Link: "Share" i canīt get any connection with the drive.

The custom 1.1.2.7 hasnīt the problem.

Can you help me out?

FoxG

Sorry for my english.
    I have the same problem. With the original firmware it is no problem to map a network drive on the WL-HDD ("\\192.168.1.220\part1" for example).
    With the Custom firmware it donīt work. I tried a lot but no chance. Has this something to do with the Samba thing which is discussed in this thread to? Iīm not so much into this Linux thing.
    So has somebody an idea how to make the custim firmware to run under XP as usual (Original firmware)? Thx

shcshc DBox-settings

Everybody has different settings.
    My settings wouldnīt help you.

What have you done so far?

FoxG

Hi everybody,

A small question, is it possible to run a webserver on this firmware ??? with a small script ?

Thx for your answer

I also have a little question. Ik tried to add a user descibed in the topic of the custom 1.1.27, but there is no busybox.new only a busybox.oleg.

And i had some write problems, couldn't write anything. So I did Chmod 777 part1. But now everyone can read/write my harddisk.

Third and last question, how can you disbale anonymous login on VSFTPD (As in Custom 1.1.2.8)?

Quote Originally Posted by JOCKYW2001
    For all WL-HDD users here's a custom firmware which includes:
    * telnet daemon
    * nfsv3 daemon
    * vsftpd daemon (replaces stupid-ftpd)
    * samba 3.0.9 (supports CIFS)
    * doesn't poll for the harddisk each 5 seconds

Every feature of the original 1.1.2.8 firmware is in this custom version, also NTFS R/W support

Prerequisites
    -------------

- An Asus WL-HDD2.5 with built-in HDD which contains a shared partition "part1" which can be accessed from your PC with RW access
    - I assume the IP of the Asus is 192.168.1.220
    - You have these 3 files:
    WLHDD_1.1.2.8-JockyW-1.0_en.trx
    tmp.rar
    conf.tar.gz

You find the 34MB file 1.1.2.8-custom.zip in:
    http://website.wl500g.info/beta/firmware.php?fid=5
    (courtesy of Antiloop, thanks once more )
    Hi All,

I'm searching for the download of the custom firmware, to install
    at least telnet and vsftpd.

The link however does not work (somewhere I read: "Too much traffic for big files" ).

Can anybody point me at an alternative download location for those files?

Thanks in advance, Frank

Update: found WL-HDD-1.1.2.7-custom.zip.
    This file does countain tmp.rar and conf.tar.gz.
    Hopefully, these are the same as those in 1.1.2.8, are they?

I will use probably Asus standard fw 1.2.3.4, and apply the patches above to is, as per another post in the forum.
    Last edited by frankd; 22-04-2005 at 14:03.

Quote Originally Posted by frankd
    Hi All,

I'm searching for the download of the custom firmware, to install
    at least telnet and vsftpd.

The link however does not work (somewhere I read: "Too much traffic for big files" ).

Can anybody point me at an alternative download location for those files?

Thanks in advance, Frank

Update: found WL-HDD-1.1.2.7-custom.zip.
    This file does countain tmp.rar and conf.tar.gz.
    Hopefully, these are the same as those in 1.1.2.8, are they?

I will use probably Asus standard fw 1.2.3.4, and apply the patches above to is, as per another post in the forum.

Please try again at: http://website.wl500g.info/beta/firmware.php?fid=5
    didn't know it was linked as a directory

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    Please try again at: http://website.wl500g.info/beta/firmware.php?fid=5
    didn't know it was linked as a directory
    Thanks, Antiloop, I got it.

Still one question remains:

I want to install the conf.tar.gz stuff to operate under ASUS firmware 1.2.3.4.

In this case, is it still necessary to install 1.1.2.8 before that?
    And, if so, why?

Quote Originally Posted by frankd
    Still one question remains:

I want to install the conf.tar.gz stuff to operate under ASUS firmware 1.2.3.4.

In this case, is it still necessary to install 1.1.2.8 before that?
    No, shouldn't be necessary. You can't run kernel mode nfsd tho!

/JockyW

Question Testing Jocky's Custom Firmware 1.1.2.8

Hello,

A few days ago I flashed WL-HDD with Jocky's Custom Firmware 1.1.2.8.
    Installation went without any problems.
    1 KB cluster size is great!
    Imagine that in original firmware I had 1 MB cluster size!!!
    With some pain I managed to use newer Samba client included in this firmware
    However, too much manual work need to be done at every reboot to make it run like I want.

I came across various issues. Here I list them all:

1) After flashing, the "power" diode keeps blinking every second, and "status page" on www page shows "file system inconsistency". I tried to use built-in web disk tool to check it, but the diode stays the same. Flashing it again, turning it off and on didn't help. However device seems to run ok.
    Is it some serious error? or should I start getting accustomed to it?

2) Telnetd accepts all connections and does not ask for passwords! Moreover, it gives "root" access for everyone connecting. I changed password for "root" user but it didn't change anything. With no asking for password it still leaves the gates open to everyone.
    Is it possible to configure it to ask for passwords?
    I looked at /etc dir and didn't find anything useful to control its behaviour.

3) smb.conf is recreated at every reboot... So after reboot any changes to smb.conf file are lost and I need to telnet to WL-HDD again, kill nmbd and smbd and run them as deamon from commandline with my custom smbxxx.conf. To keep setting alive even after reboot I've tried a suggested solution in which symbolic links are used to run script launching renamed smbd and nmbd with custom smbxxx.conf but that method does not work. It seems that SH(shell) is one of the last processes to run at every boot. I also tried adding scripts to rc.d but none of them was run at boot.
    How can I keep settings unchanged at reboot or force smbd/nmbd to use my custom smbxxx.conf?
    Is it possible with this firmware to add custom scripts that are to be run at boottime?

Regards,
    Magus

Lightbulb Further testing... DHCP + Samba !

Hello again,

Today I tested DHCP with Jocky's firmware and I'd like to share with you what results I got.
    To begin, let me tell you what preliminary changes I made today to my WL-HDD setup.
    Following one quite "drastical" solution posted on this site I hex-edited "smbd" and "nmbd", so now they use my custom made "sm1.conf" instead of "smb.conf" (which is always rewritten at boot-time).
    I also noticed that /tmp/etc/config/smbpasswd file gets rewritten at boot, probably with settings taken from (Storage Setting/Shared Nodes) web page. After loggin in via telnet, I created a few users with "adduser" and samba-users with "smbpasswd" command. Then I copied /tmp/etc/config/smbpasswd to /tmp/harddisk/part1/ and edited sm1.conf so that line "smb passwd file" points at my new smbpasswd file location. As an add-on I added "interfaces = br0" and "bind interfaces only = true" to allow samba work with IP that is changed from time to time.
    Now I have a usable set-up and can manage users and directory/file permissions directly from telnet session without worrying about something being recreated at boot-time and spoiling my setup.

Now I move to the main part of my message.
    All works ok with Static IP but it's getting broken with DHCP setup (that is when DHCP is turned on in "IP Config" web page).
    With DHCP turned on, my WL-HDD gets IP correctly, I can ping it and web-manage it. But it refuses connections on Telnet port and Samba is not working. I've checked by PS command from backdoor web page that "telnetd" and "smbd/nmbd" are not loaded!!!
    Instead there can be seen many processes named "killall"..
    In fact "telnetd", "smbd", "nmbd" are loaded for a short while (a few seconds) because I checked the samba logs and they looked 100% correct. I also connected via telnet after restart. Well, after a 2 seconds I was kicked out...
    Yes, something KILLS smbd, nmbd and telnetd after a short while. Some kind of DHCP revenge?? haha

Seeing all of that I tried running "telnetd" from backdoor page and suprisingly it launched off. I logged in. I noticed something changed here.
    Colors in telnet terminal disappeared and when listing directories, instead of names like "admin" "rood", there were shown only numerical identifiers (IDs? GIDs?). Not a big deal I thought and launched "smbd" and "nmbd".
    Now, I checked "net view \\[my WL-HDD ip]" from WinXP box and got "Access denied". Then I tried mapping a share. I got "system error 1326, wrong password or user name"...
    Checked Samba logs. Samba logs show that smbd was correctly binded to interface with DHCP assigned IP address.
    I tried to map a share as guest , then as a user (with password). In each case I got the same reply (wrong pass or username) and in samba log:

"build_sam_account: smbpasswd database is corrupt! username nobody with uid 99 is not in unix passwd database!"
    User nobody in passdb, but getpwnam() fails!
    auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(310)
    check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [] -> [] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER"

Of course there is a user "nobody" in passwd database. And nothing is corrupt. I checked it a few times. Very strange.

When I changed to static IP... all of my problems disappeared !!
    I may be wrong but probably Jocky's firmware, in its current verision, is not meant to be used with DHCP.

So I wonder if anyone tried using this firmware and got Samaba and DHCP working together?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123