Thread: Installing Optware Packages on Asus Firmware 1.0.7.8

getting stuck on this step when installing optware packages

Add the following line to /opt/etc/ipkg.conf with the newly installed busybox version of vi:

src optware http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op...g/cross/stable

Guys..I have installed kfurge firmware and have followed all the steps as outlined for installing optware packages.. but when I get to the above step... I am not sure what to type in the telnet session window ( I am new to linux.. I am only seeing what is being typed and duplicating the same on my session).

so I typed in src optware http://.... /stable as above.. and it gives me an error..

what exactly does the author mean when he says "add following line to /opt/etc/ipkg.conf??? Also, in the instructions it shows a picture of ipkg.conf as a file under /shares/web.. which I don't have...?? am I supposed to get this from somwehere and place it in the web folder?
    what exactly am I supposed to do in this step? busybox etc.. were successfully loaded per the instructions in the previous steps..

please help with this src thingy.

Thanks.

Installing Optware Packages on Asus Firmware 1.0.7.8

Is it possible to install the optware packages on Asus's latest firmware? I know it is possible to install the optware packages on KFurge Custom Firmware.. but I'd like to keep Asus's firmware and yet be able to install other packages. I tried with usual optware packages as outlined in kfurge procedures.. but when I used the "tar" command, it said "tar short read".

Please let me know if this is possible.. Thanks.

It's probably not possible because Asus does not include the /opt mount point that optware needs to function (among other things). A 1.0.7.8 version with the same functionality as my 1.0.4.6 version will be available *very* shortly. I have it built right now and just need to test it.

- K.C.
    Last edited by kfurge; 06-01-2008 at 03:57. Reason: Missed some details in the question

thank you for the reply.
    Please do let us know when it is ready.

Thanks