Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems with hdd spindown og rc.local

Quote Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
    Unfortunately the rc.local that is in /opt/etc does not do the job of spinning down the proper way, or at least in my opinion.

I would appreciate it when K.C.Furge has his saying on this matter, and eventually changes this in the firmware.
    The method in my rc.local is correct but significantly different than yours. You're configuring a very straight-forward spin down. I elected to do the HDD power management a little more elaborately knowing that the HDD would be spinning up/down on a very regular basis.

The two hdparm commands together configure the HDD to enter a low power mode after 5 minutes followed by an even lower power mode after 60 minutes. Details of these commands, and the timing formulas, can be found in the HDD datasheet from Toshiba. I've also posted a long winded explanation containing the formulas somewhere on this forum already.

One reason you might have thought that the HDD spin down was not working was because nether of these modes completely spin down the HDD. Rather they're low (and lower) RPM modes with no servo lock on the spindle or heads which significantly reduce HDD power consumption. In contrast to a full spin-down, I believe spinning up from a low RPM mode to be less stressful on the HDD over the long term.

I'll admit that the 60 minute timeout programmed by the second hdparm command is somewhat long, and there are a number of programs that annoyingly touch the HDD within that hour long window if not properly configured, but I did not want the HDD in my box constantly spinning up and down 24/7. Rather, I only wanted it to spin down when truly idle.

- K.C.

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    The method in my rc.local is correct but significantly different than yours. You're configuring a very straight-forward spin down. I elected to do the HDD power management a little more elaborately knowing that the HDD would be spinning up/down on a very regular basis.
    [cut]
    - K.C.
    Very informative, thanks. I noticed that my HDD (with my settings) spins down, but also that it spins up after a while, maybe after an hour. With the old 1.0.4.6. firmware and the same instructions it really spun down 'forever'. I have both mt-daapd and Twonky running, and both are told to not update anything if not asked to do so. So I think now something else must sweep its tail now and then.
    I guess we will find out some time.
    Again, thanks for your long answer.
    According to
    http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=45110&postcount=5
    the Asus consumes about 5 watts to let the HDD spin. Now I'm curious how much power is saved with your settings. Do you know that?

Marc

yup, i am back again

when i try to copy /opt to /shares/MYVOLUME (logged in as root via ordinary windows telnet session) with the command "cd /; tar cf - opt" then it runs/creates this ar archive... i supose.... When i stop running i never get the shell or command line for furhter command...

Then i have tried to make another telnet session to the nas box for extracting the tar archive - using this command: cd /shares/MYVOLUME1; tar xf -
    Then i just get an "extra" line to write on... I cannot exit it again...

Is there something i completely misunderstood?
    I'll hope you all can help me...

Tanks

Allan

i forgot to write, that i also have tried to log in as admin and copy /opt. But this user dont have permission to do so...

Quote Originally Posted by ashansen View Post
    yup, i am back again
    [cut]
    Allan
    I see...
    why don you just cut & paste this:
    (cd /; tar cf - opt) | (cd /shares/MYVOLUME1; tar xf -)
    as listed.
    So including everything including ( ) and all in one go. And yes, being root.
    You might also login as admin, and then do:
    sudo bash -l
    (again, copy & paste it). This will make you root.

Marc

Great
    Now it all works.

Thanks far all your help - specially you, Marc

All the best

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
    the Asus consumes about 5 watts to let the HDD spin. Now I'm curious how much power is saved with your settings. Do you know that?
    They're virtually the same.

- K.C.

Hi,

so ashansen followed the way mumsoft suggested. But how can I get working the way kfurge suggests?

My drive is not spinning down.
    I am running 1.0.7.8 (Not sure, which exact version, I guess the latest. I bought it from a friend. Is there a way to find it out?)

I would be very thankful for any help. I am a linux n0^2b.
    pooz

Quote Originally Posted by pooz View Post
    Hi,

so ashansen followed the way mumsoft suggested. But how can I get working the way kfurge suggests?

My drive is not spinning down.
    I am running 1.0.7.8 (Not sure, which exact version, I guess the latest. I bought it from a friend. Is there a way to find it out?)

I would be very thankful for any help. I am a linux n0^2b.
    pooz
    Hi Pooz,
    In the web interface you can find what version it is running, but not whether this is a KFurge modified version or not.
    You can however try to telnet to the Asus, and once logged in, see if /opt is there (cd /opt) or not. If it is, goto etc (cd etc), being there, check if there is a rc.local (ls rc.local). This is the rc.local that the kfurge version uses.
    In this rc.local you will find the spindown settings, either those from KFurge, or modified versions from someone else. The KFurge settings won't actually spin down the HD.
    Another way to tell if you have the latest KFurge version is rebooting the Asus, and see whether the powerled blinks three times after several minutes. At this point you can press the copy button until the blinking stops, and so prevent the rc.local from executing (only in case of problems). If you don't touch anything, the rc.local will be executed.

Good luck,
    Marc

Hi Marc,

thanks for your help.
    You can however try to telnet to the Asus
    Due to I am new and did not find a beginners FAQ with step-by-step tuts, like telnet to my router, I wouldlike to ask, how this is done to my wl700ge?

In this rc.local you will find the spindown settings, either those from KFurge, or modified versions from someone else. The KFurge settings won't actually spin down the HD.
    Did I get it right, that kfurges settings only does a kind of "lowering the rpm" of the drive, instead of a complete spin down. (like he mentioned here), while other setting do a complete powering off of the HDD?
    I don´t know, which might be better/less harm to the drive.

Thanks again, for any help!
    pooz

Hi Marc,

thanks for your help.

Due to I am new and did not find a beginners FAQ with step-by-step tuts, like telnet to my router, I wouldlike to ask, how this is done to my wl700ge?

Did I get it right, that kfurges settings only does a kind of "lowering the rpm" of the drive, instead of a complete spin down. (like he mentioned here), while other setting do a complete powering off of the HDD?
    I don´t know, which might be better/less harm to the drive.

Thanks again, for any help!
    pooz
    Telnet:
    telnet asus
    or:
    telnet <ip-address>
    you can login with root or as yourself. You should know the password though.

In my situation, with the WLAN off most of the time, the HD is powered off for days. I have written/modified some radio script to be able to press the copy button and switch wlan on and off.
    So I use my own version of the spindown routine.

Look around for what the kfurge version does.
    Look here:
    http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/node/134

Thanks for your help!

let me ask one beginners q, please
    When logging in via "telnet <ip>", I can only log in with username "root" and then surprisingly no passwort is required. is this correct? My login data via Web-IF doesn´t work.

Is logging via ssh better? but doing "ssh <ip>" or "ssh root@<ip>" doesnt work either.

Anyway: the rc.local file is there! I was able to read it via "nano". But how can I check, if I got the latest version "02" instead of "01" ?

greetings

Thanks for your help!

let me ask one beginners q, please
    When logging in via "telnet <ip>", I can only log in with username "root" and then surprisingly no passwort is required. is this correct? My login data via Web-IF doesn´t work.

Is logging via ssh better? but doing "ssh <ip>" or "ssh root@<ip>" doesnt work either.

Anyway: the rc.local file is there! I was able to read it via "nano". But how can I check, if I got the latest version "02" instead of "01" ?

greetings
    As said, version 2 waits in the boot process and blinks the ready (sorry, i said power) button 3 times.
    It's a long time ago i saw the same login stuff that you have. Did you study the guide from the link I gave you?
    I think ssh is better, and it should work. But, telnet in a local network at home isn't really dangerous.

You could do no harm if you install 02 yourself, if you're still not sure.
    But you should really study the guide FIRST.

Marc
    Last edited by mumsoft; 29-01-2009 at 22:16.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12