Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accessing nfs shares from the WL700gE

1. Question nfs from wan ?

Hello,

I would like to access the 700g using nfs from the WAN.
    If that's possible, how could I do that ?

Thank.

2. BTW cifs could also do the trick for me

You would need to setup a VPN (Virtal Private Network) that you could connect to via the internet from any location. The only problem is, as far as I can tell the 700g does not have a built-in VPN server, so you would need a 2nd computer to act as a VPN server. Once that's setup connecting is easy and you'll have full, secure & encrypted access to you network from anywhere.

4. I don't really care about security as the 700g is after an openwrt router.
    All I want is that computers after the openwrt router have access to the hd of the 700g.
    Thank

Well, if it's all being accessed on your local network, then you should be able to do a connection to it without any problems, provided the WL700g is not also trying to play router, along with your OpenWRT router. If the wl700 is also trying to play router, it could be on a different subnet (openwrt could be 192.168.0.1 and the wl700g defaults to 192.168.1.1), which might make it more difficult to connect to across the network. You would need to put the wl700g into AP mode, which will make it a slave device on the network.

If you want access to it outside your network (from work, for instance), then again you'll need a VPN server on your home network. In either case if you already have an openwrt router, you should take the wl700g out of router mode and put in AP mode so you don't have competing DHCP servers and firewalls.

Correct directory to mount with NFS

Hi

I have just gotten a wl-700ge router, and am trying to get the NFS share to work correctly. I have enabled NFS read/write in the admin console for the router, but I do not appear to be able to mount any directories. I just get permission denied.

A google search doesn't show up anything in particular for this router. I have tried combinations such as 192.168.1.1:/export/MYSHARE1 and 192.168.1.1:/export/MYVOLUME1, none of which work. Which directory is actually meant to be shared? (with the default MYSHARE1 MYVOLUME1 hard disc settings)

Thanks

d3viant

I access my router with <IP>\MYSHARE1\

So I think you should lose the "export" part in your path call...

Remco

Hmm no luck with that, mounting 192.168.1.1:/MYSHARE1 failed with permission denied again

Ok, managed to mount it eventually with 192.168.1.1:/shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1

Quote Originally Posted by d3viant View Post
    FWIW, you can use "showmount -e 192.168.1.1" from any nfs enabled box to show you all of the available shares.

- K.C.

Cool - thats a useful tip - thanks

NFS mounting on USB HDD

Hi all, can anyone tell me how to mount a FAT filesystem External USB HDD properly?

I have tried a few combinations myself but to no avail. I only managed to mount the ../MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1 with success. That was easy.

I understand that I need to use the Disk Management Utility to ERASE and FORMAT and then CREATE VOLUME for the USB HDD so that I can do a preoper mounting...but the Disk Management Utility stuck at the CREATE VOLUME segment and presented to me with a Blue Screen of Death - saying 'Create Disk Volume Result' on the top...and nothing seem to happen despite the pop-up box stated that creating a VOLUME merely takes about 3 minutes max! What am I doing wrong here?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by d3viant View Post
    That is a wrong syntax
    type in WindowsButton + R abd type in \\192.168.1.1\yourshare
    There you go
    If you want tu use the share as a mapped drive
    type in
    net use x: \\192.168.1.1\yourshare

The : is to add a special port. Leave it away

Router: wl500g deluxe + 64MB SD -- OpenWRT Kamikaze 7.09
    Packages: OpenVPN, SSH
    NAS: NAS1000 400GB, TwonkyVision Media Server
    WirelessClient: TG100, MGB100-"Schufti Style"

Quote Originally Posted by Barnosch View Post
    That is a wrong syntax
    type in WindowsButton + R abd type in \\192.168.1.1\yourshare
    There you go
    If you want tu use the share as a mapped drive
    type in
    net use x: \\192.168.1.1\yourshare

The : is to add a special port. Leave it away
    The syntax is correct if the pc is running linux

Under windows you are perfectly correct - use backslashes and leave out the colon.

ok i´m sorry. i overread this.

Router: wl500g deluxe + 64MB SD -- OpenWRT Kamikaze 7.09
    Packages: OpenVPN, SSH
    NAS: NAS1000 400GB, TwonkyVision Media Server
    WirelessClient: TG100, MGB100-"Schufti Style"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast