Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accessing nfs shares from the WL700gE

Mounting a remote NFS folder from the White Box

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if it's possible for the White Box to act as an NFS client for a remotely shared folder (in my case a box running Ubuntu 7.04)?

I've tried something along the line of:

mount -t nfs ubuntu_box:/media/stuff /shares/MYVOLUME1/share2

but getting 'Invalid argument' errors.

(If I take off the '-t nfs' then I get an 'File not found error; and since upgrading to BusyBox 1.5 I get a super helpful 'Operation failed' error instead )

I can mount the folder from my macbook pro so the ubuntu box seems to be set up properly (as much as a complete n00b like me can set it up ).

-T

PS. A big thanks to everyone on this site. Like all of you, I was excited by an affordable, wireless NAS only to be dissapointed by the truly terrible firmware. Now I have something I can SSH into, listen to my music via mt-daapd and spin down the HD. (But not for bittorrenting, that still sucks!) Everything I've learnt here has given me the confidence to graduate to a 'proper' Linux server Thanx guys!

NFS UID mapping?

Hi everyone,

I've been mounting the WL700 share on my ubuntu box using both cifs and nfs. I'd prefer nfs since you can make file links and cifs cannot. But right now nfs is really problematic to use : when I create a file from my ubuntu box, it gets my ubuntu UID/GID which do not match the default UID/GID (35000/42000) on the WL700. This means means that I subsequently have permissions problems on those files, for instance when I access the WL700 from the WAN...
    I know in principle it should be possible to map UID/GIDs when exporting a directory over nfs, but I can't find a way to do it on this box (I can't find out how to start the nfs deamon with a mapping file option). Has anyone already succeeded in doing this?

Phil.

Mac OS ans NFS

Hi,

I tried to mount my WL-700gE with Mac OS, but always get the error Message "Permission denied". Configured the Asus für NFS and PBSA as mentioned on the FAQ-Page at Asus.

So, what to do?

best regards.

Acess NFS Shares on Mac OSX

I'm having trouble to access nfs shares with the os 10.4 finder.
    when i try to connect to nfs://192.168.1.1/MYSHARE1, i get a wrong username or password alert, but i know it's correct because samba (smb://192.168.1.1/MYSHARE1) works perfectly.
    is this because the wl700ge is using a different nfs version than 10.4?
    the box has the standard 1.0.7.8 firmware on it...

anyone got it working and can tell me what's going on?

Accessing nfs shares from the WL700gE

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me how to access nfs shares exported by another device from the WL700gE?

Regards,

PVarela

You'll need to be more specific, the question is too general, please provide more detail

More details

Hi, thank you.

I'm using an Intel SS4000E has a NAS server which has the possibility to export folder using NFS. What I would like to do is to mount some of these folders with NFS from the WL-700gE so that I can access them from the WAN.

Regards,

PVarela

8. openwrt and NFS ?

Hello,

did someone succeed in exporting nfs dir from the router ?

An exportfs -r result in :

exportfs: can't open /var/lib/nfs/rmtab for reading
    exportfs: could not open /var/lib/nfs/etab for locking
    exportfs: can't lock /var/lib/nfs/etab for writing
    exportfs: could not open /var/lib/nfs/xtab for locking
    exportfs: can't lock /var/lib/nfs/xtab for writing

which is fully understandable... but how to force it to opt ?
    Last edited by Gregoire.Favre; 21-12-2007 at 22:17.

I believe it's missing the kernel modules necessary to mount NFS shares as a client.

- K.C.

I think you're using the wrong share name. If OSX supports the "showmount" command, then execute "showmount -e 192.168.1.1" from and command prompt window. Mine looks like:

[kfurge@WL700gE /]$ showmount -e localhost
    Export list for localhost:
    /shares/tmp/tmp *
    /shares/tmp/iso *
    /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1 (everyone)

I think you need to add "/shares" on the front of your path?

- K.C.

11. After some try, I got it working, lots of ipkg install/remove and it works ;-)

I didn't undertand what i really did, but I now got a really good router now !!!

Smile NFS not possible anymore with 1.0.7.8? SOLVED

SOLVED, see below.

Hi,

With Asus (custom) firmware 1.0.4.6 I could easily get NFS working.
    But after upgrading to 1.0.7.8 I only get timeouts.

I get:
    mount: mount to NFS server 'asus' failed: timed out (giving up).
    and the log of Asus says nonetheless:
    Mar 3 21:40:48 rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from 10.2.2.1:721 for /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1 (/shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1)
    The problem is on the Asus: I have tried this with two pc's and also with a Knoppix DVD. Also installing the original Asus firmware 1.0.7.8 did not help.

SOLUTION
    Downgraded to firmware Asus 1.0.4.6
    - checked NFS: OK
    upgraded to firmware Asus 1.0.7.8
    upgraded to firmware KFurge 1.0.7.8

In this process I was forced to reset the Asus to factory defaults. Maybe, but unlikely, this did it.

Regards
    Marc
    Last edited by mumsoft; 05-03-2008 at 09:14. Reason: Solved

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12