Thread: Bridging Speedtouch 580 & WL-500g

Bridging Speedtouch 580 & WL-500g

I am looking into setting up a Wireless bridge with my Speedtouch 580 which is an ADSL modem and router in one also offering a 4 port switch and Wireless AP. What I'd like to know is, if I buy a WL-500g, can I set it up to bridge to a network upstairs.

So:

internet <-ADSL-> ST580 <-WLAN-> WL-500g <---> LAN (wired)

The Speedtouch does offer WDS and is already a NAT and DHCP so for that I don't really need the WL-500g. I just would like to bridge from the ground floor, two floors up to my computer room which has 3 computers which I'd like to cable-connect to the 500g. (and of course I'd like to use the printer port and possible ftp-server).

And of course the WLAN connection has to be encrypted (using WPA, or some sort).

Cheers,
    B

bump

bump bump bump

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bFunk
    bump bump bump
    search search search

just kidding.

in answer to your question: Yes should be possible. If you search the forum you will probably get a good idea of what to do and what not to do
    Brubber

WL-500g, WL-138g, WL-160g

Quote Originally Posted by brubber
    search search search

just kidding.

in answer to your question: Yes should be possible. If you search the forum you will probably get a good idea of what to do and what not to do
    I have already searched both the documentation that I could find online and the forums. The one thing that worried me was that I read that the WL-500g will only bridge with another WL-500g (or other ASUS WAP). Then on the other hand I read about WDS and wonder if both devices support WDS if that'll make it possible to have a wireless bridge.

Regards,
    B

Quote Originally Posted by bFunk
    I have already searched both the documentation that I could find online and the forums. The one thing that worried me was that I read that the WL-500g will only bridge with another WL-500g (or other ASUS WAP). Then on the other hand I read about WDS and wonder if both devices support WDS if that'll make it possible to have a wireless bridge.

Regards,
    B
    Asus only guarantees that WDS will work with other Asus products

this doesn't mean it will not work with other brands..

e.g. they will work fine with linksys

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO