Thread: is it possible to resize the ext3 partition?

is it possible to resize the ext3 partition?

Hi guys. Just wanted to find out... got lots of data on my 2 Gb partition, don't want to start from scratch, just want to make it bigger.
    Tried doing it from Windows with Paragon software - no use, Wl500Gp does not see any change...
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is possible, but only doing in *nix style...
    - backup your data (2 GB isn't too much) using tar (to preserve attributes), do not try to just copy folders
    - delete old partition (with fdisk) and create a bigger one
    - mke2fs -j /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/partX
    - restore (with the same tar) your previously saved data into their place
    - not a bad idea to run e2fsck -fv /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/partX on your unmounted partition, before and after this operation.

That's all!

just found the ipkg package e2fsprogs.. it has the resize2fs tool
    when I type "ipkg install e2fsprogs" it downloads ok, but then...

ipkg: /opt/sbin/debugfs: Not a directory
    ipkg: /opt/sbin/badblocks: Not a directory
    ipkg: /opt/sbin/tune2fs: Not a directory
    ipkg: /opt/sbin/dumpe2fs: Not a directory
    ipkg: /opt/sbin/blkid: Not a directory
    ipkg: /opt/sbin/logsave: Not a directory
    ipkg: /opt/sbin/e2image: Not a directory
    ipkg: /opt/sbin/mklost+found: Not a directory
    ipkg: /opt/sbin/filefrag: Not a directory
    ipkg: /opt/sbin/mkfs.ext2: Not a directory
    ipkg: Cannot link from ./opt/sbin/mkfs.ext3 to './opt/sbin/mkfs.ext2': Not a dir
    ectory
    ipkg: /opt/sbin/e2label: Not a directory
    ipkg: Cannot link from ./opt/sbin/findfs to './opt/sbin/e2label': Not a director
    y
    ipkg: /opt/sbin/resize2fs: Not a directory
    ipkg: /opt/sbin/e2fsprogs-fsck: Not a directory
    Configuring e2fsprogs
    update-alternatives: Linking //opt/bin/chattr to /opt/bin/e2fsprogs-chattr
    update-alternatives: Linking //opt/bin/lsattr to /opt/bin/e2fsprogs-lsattr
    mkdir: Cannot create directory `//opt/sbin': File exists
    postinst script returned status 1
    ERROR: e2fsprogs.postinst returned 1
    Successfully terminated.

uh oh... any idea what is causing it?

btw thanks Serpent, did not notice your response. I'll try your approach if resize2fs thing fails..

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysparrow View Post
    Hi guys. Just wanted to find out... got lots of data on my 2 Gb partition, don't want to start from scratch, just want to make it bigger.
    Tried doing it from Windows with Paragon software - no use, Wl500Gp does not see any change...
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Use any Linux distribution (or LiveCD) and parted/qtparted/gparted command.

Get the Gparted CD. From here: http://download.tuxfamily.org/gpartedlive/

Write the image to a CD.

Connect the HDD to the PC (the PC not the router), insert the CD into the PC and reboot.

The computer will start with the LiveCD and after few questions (regarding language, keyboard, video mode) you will be able to resize your partitions very easy. (Draging them with the mouse)

Thank you! I'll try it

I used gparted several times to resize for my wl500g partitions, works as a charm! I also cloned my disk for a second asus with gparted.

Take care if you split partitions before your main ext3 partition, or swap (eg make one smaller and add another) otherwise your asus won't find the partitions on the location it expects them. (you can change these easily of course in post-boot, but it's good to know.)
    Primary partitions are always numbered from 1 to 4, so if you add one the numbers will simply shift up.
    Solar inverter monitoring with Asus wl500gx http://solar.reinieren.net (dutch)

Hey guys..
    I've used Gparted.
    1) There's 8 Gb of unused space just after Ext3 partition. I resized the partition, then rebooted my PC (without disconnecting the HDD), loaded gparted again - it showed the resized partition, so everything's fine.
    BUT
    2) after I unplug HDD from PC and plug it into ROUTER... BAM!... "df" command shows the partition has returned to its old size.
    I unplug and plug it back to PC, reboot to Gparted - BAM - it shows the original (unresized partition), sending me straight to step 1.
    It is as if WL500g would return the old partition size as soon as I plug hard disk into it. Any idea what happens there?

Aside from that, THANKS for recommending Gparted live-CD - it will prove very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by cheekysparrow View Post
    Hey guys..
    I've used Gparted.
    1) There's 8 Gb of unused space just after Ext3 partition. I resized the partition, then rebooted my PC (without disconnecting the HDD), loaded gparted again - it showed the resized partition, so everything's fine.
    BUT
    2) after I unplug HDD from PC and plug it into ROUTER... BAM!... "df" command shows the partition has returned to its old size.
    I unplug and plug it back to PC, reboot to Gparted - BAM - it shows the original (unresized partition), sending me straight to step 1.
    You have done "Apply Changes" by clicking the appropriate button in GParted?