Thread: connect to USB drive using OSX

connect to USB drive using OSX

I can connect to my USB drive plugged to my lower USB port of my WL-500gP router via my imac using finder/go/network....but I can only copy 1 file at 1 time and comes up with an error saying I do not have sufficient rights. I have no problem using XP. I called Asus and they said OSX is not supported. Is that true? Need help urgently! In addition, any way I can use download manager from MAC? I am new to this router and imac so please help!

What is with NFS? Is Mac OS X supporting NFS?

Not tried yet... can you guide me how to set this up? Sorry I am not a very teckie person

Download Master is generally a giFT based client, but not runs default on Mac OS X, but works fine with Crossover or Parallels (last requires windows install).

Samba should work out of box, if OS X newer than 10.4.8. If not, try Olegs firmware, with it's preinstalled Samba2. This works, tested! By this way you also replace DM and can install Transmisson (oleo's) or SCTCS (seaky's) torrent downloader, wich works from any webbrowser. Good luck!

O, you dont have olegs firmware installed?

And if you speak german, here is nfs howto for WL-HDD but can be used for olegs firmware on wl500gP as well! http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=8010&highlight=nfs

Quote Originally Posted by thE_29 View Post
    O, you dont have olegs firmware installed?

And if you speak german, here is nfs howto for WL-HDD but can be used for olegs firmware on wl500gP as well! http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=8010&highlight=nfs
    He said he want's to use download master, so I think, not.

Thanks all, I have Parallels but is there any native OSX way I can do DM rather doing Parallels? I do not mind installing extra software on my imac but need some tutorial... and thanks for advance.

I tiried smb://192.168.1.1./share. I can connect but still encountering the same problem of only write 1 file at a time and with error. I do not have this problem using XP.

I have OSX 10.4.10 and unfortunately I do not know German... any English how-to-do for Transmisson (oleo's) or SCTCS (seaky's) torrent downloader assuming they are OSX compatible software?

But the howto´s are for olegs firmware! Not for the original one, or?

Quote Originally Posted by thE_29 View Post
    But the howto´s are for olegs firmware! Not for the original one, or?
    Does that mean if I use olegs firmware I can use transmission and forget about DM; and without turning my imac on for BT?

Yes, olegs Firmware is more powerful than the original one!

But download master won´t work! (In my case, download master never worked with my hdd, so i dont care).

You can have a fully NAS then I record with my dbox2 on the hdd connected to the asus.
    I also connected the seagate freeagent pro 2 500GB for all other stuff Then you can share with samba or NFS (dbox2 needs NFS because it is linux system too). Or you can use FTP, or whatever you want.
    Then you can also use this torrents clients or wget plugins to download via webinf to your hdd and forget the stupid download master which just works within your LAN!

And you have pretty good howto´s for installing and configuring oleg´s fw and then for many other tools!
    So my tip is, use olegs firmware not the original one!
    Ii tested xwrt/openwrt kamikaze, dd-wrt (good lookin webinf). But these 2 have problems with my laser printer (after installation of the usb mods).
    Tomate has no native usb support, so i tried the oleg´s firmware! And i can say, it is the best choice for the asus 500 Everything works perfect and good forum too

Thanks a lot. I am now using oleg firmware. Looks like now I have more options to config for WL-500gP.
    I followed the how-to and managed to complete the dropbear part. Now I am stuck where to reformat my HD. Can I not format my HD and leave it as FAT 32? I can format it if I have to but rather I would like to keep it as FAT32.
    If I can keep it as FAT32, how/where do I proceed making my USB FAT32 to be shared?
    Last edited by gamerhk; 28-10-2007 at 07:16.

A lot of packages don't work properly if use fat32. (access rights, performance etc..)

Why would you want to keep fat32??

And the problem with fat32 is, that no files > 4gig can´t be stored on it!

Maybe you have partition magic on an other pc and connect there your usb disk!
    Format the first partition for swap (512MB), then a ext3 (for opt 1GIG) and then the fat32 if you want to have this.

So everyone would be happy! But you can do this also with fsck! In the howto it is explained how to do it

ok now I got my olegs firmware, got my samba and VSFTP working. Excellent! But my samba permission is wide opened and everyone can do read/write. what parameters I need to put in order to make only user "gamerhk" can do read/write but user "dumb" can only do read and no one else can access my samba share in smb.conf file?

I have in global this entry in smb.conf

[global]
    workgroup = LAN
    netbios name = ASUS
    server string = Samba Optware Server
    security = SHARE
    log file = /opt/var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    load printers = No
    dns proxy = No
    guest account = root
    hosts allow = 192.168.0.
    And the hosts allow says which subnet is allowed to connect! Maybe you can add there multiple IPs so that only the ip is allowed! Try the webinf!