Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions on Transmission & WL500gp

Questions on Transmission & WL500gp

I have two problems with transmission. These two are unrelated to each other, and I will describe them seperately as a result.

But let me give me some background information first. In my home, I have a Sitecom Wireless Router connected to the cable modem. An Asus WL500gp is connected by wire to the Sitecom (main) router, and is setup as an Access Point in my network. A 500 GB USB 2.0 drive is connected, and is set up by following Wengi's excellent guide on this forum. Aside from using the Asus as an extension of the main router for internet purposes, I use the Asus to download torrents from internet. An older version of Transmission is installed (0.7), because newer versions regularly give failed hash problems. The setup is functional, yet at the same time, I regularly encounter problems. Part of it is my own inexperience with the linux-ish environment, but at the same time there might be some bugs as well (this is in no way meant as an attack on Oleg, because I cannot begin to comprehend the work, the time and effort he's put into this whole thing, partly just to please us all).

(1) The first problem has to do with the startup of torrents. From time to time, and lately it's been the case alot, Transmission_watchdog will have started, and processed the queued torrents. But the torrents refuse to actually start downloading (0 connections with peers are being made). The torrents work when running them on my notebook (confirming there are actual peers). My initial reaction was this was a NAT problem, so I forwarded the relevant torrent port (as found in the transmission config) in my Sitecom router, to the IP-address of the WL500gp. But this hasn't changed a thing. Is there anything I'm overlooking in my setup? Since my Asus functions as an Access Point, there should be no need to open any ports, as port traffic should be handled by the main router. I have to say the problem seems worse after the router's been on for a while without any interruption (power down).

(2) The second problem is rather odd. There have been some torrents where Transmission initiates a download, and then almost instantly considers it as
    'finished'! But when looking in the 'target' folder, no file is found (yet it is seen as a completed torrent). Upon deleting the log file in the 'target'
    folder, and restarting the torrent by putting it in the source folder, the process repeats itself: it considers itself as done. I've had a few files as well,
    where it said it was seeding (with no actual file to be seen anywhere). This suggests it may have been downloaded somewhere in the past, but not in the folder as specified in the Transmission config (and I don't see how that could be possible). Has anyone had similar problems?

I also have some general questions:

(3) Sometimes, after the internet connection is down (due to cable modem or main router issues), or if the power goes out, my Asus does not seem to auto-re-mount the USB harddrive upon powering up or rebooting. It is strange, because I configured my Asus according to Wengi's file, so the relevant 'mount' commands are added to the config. After manually mounting drive, everything is okay again. But still, this is a nuisance.

(4) I know due to chipset limitations the WL500gp can only managed USB data transfer speeds up to 2.5 MB/sec. In my case, I've only managed about 1300 kb/sec. What are some of alternatives we can have to transfer lots of data? I've tried ejecting the USB disk (Ext3), and then connecting it to Windows. I installed a Windows Ext2/Ext3 driver (found here), but no success: the drive will get unreponsive and nearly crash my Windows XP. I know the driver can function: I've tried on the same USB 2.0 harddrive, prior to setting it up under the WL500gp, and it worked fine then. My guess is the swap partition might be causing this (as it probably has unreadable data). Any idea how to solve this, or are there any other alternatives to copy Ext3 data quickly to a Windows environment?

I am sorry for so much text. But I don't want to give too little information.

Transmission problems

I have managed to get transmission 0.82 working on my WL-500gP.
    I found it unable to remove the directories created on my USB disk after torrent download is completed. I tried purge, remove, scrape etc and do not help. I tried reboot the router and even use FTP connection to remove still no good. When use FTP to delete, it says directory not empty Please advise. Also, how can I upgrade to the latest transmission version manually?

There is FORCE_REMOVE option in config file!

transmission, few questions

I mounted partition1 of my hd to /opt. Installed samba2 and it all works good(I can acess,copy,delete files).

Then I installed transmission client.

I made directory /opt/torrent >then created /opt/torrent/work,/opt/torrent/source....
    Then used "chmod ugoa+w" on all

Changed i tr.config file all /tmp/harddisk.. to /opt/torrent...

1.When I start torrent i says "segmentation fault"(samba2 is working good)

2. I am no connectable on tracker, how to open port (which is listed in config file)

3. I am listed 2 times on tracker peer list

4. I managed to download one torrent sucessfuly from one public tracker(even after these error aoccured)

ps. fw is 1.9.2.7-8

I have 0.82-3 version installed.

In my transmission.cgi - FORCE_REMOVE looks for "yes".
    In my transmission.conf - FORCE_REMOVE is "YES".

After changing 'yes' to 'YES' in cgi, I can delete torrents that are "DONE" (it was not possible before).

@gamerhk
    try to alter 'YES' to 'yes' in transmission.conf and let us know the result.

regards
    Last edited by dzontra; 11-11-2007 at 11:36.

some more troubles with transmission

Oleo, thank you very much for transmission.cgi and transmission working !

I'v got 20 active torrents seeding, about 50Gb total size with less then 0.3 avg system load !
    But I have some troubles when I have to restart transmission (pressing Pause in web-interface, then after transmission is gone "pause" again and then watchdog manually or by cron). Occasionally 1 - 4 torrents starts checking files. And it takes a long time and high system load. More over, if I press "pause" during some torrent checking or waiting for check - after restart this completed torrents start to download once again from 0% ! So I have to restart transmission with removing all cache files - and it hurts, complete check takes around 4 hours...
    Pausing transmission also gives me coredumps in .transmission folder occasionally.
    Is there any correlation between torrent-file and file in cache folder ? Can I find the related cache file to remove it exactly, not forcing transmission to check all torrents, but only the ones, that started to download once again instead of seeding.

Thanks in advance, Eugene

P.S Sorry for my english

This is probably a bug when stopping large number of active torrents. We are waiting for 5 secondt for torrents to finish. But this is not enough for such cases. That's why some torrents cacge gets garbled. For now I suggest that you manually push them out, although I know than this is not a solution. Recheching should be done in queue . So you should have "Waiting to check ..,"

Correlation of cache files and torrent id of course torrent hash tha coul be shown by Info button.

Anyway, I am now testing 0.93+ and It looks like it will solve most of the problems and probably introduce new ones.
    Last edited by oleo; 12-11-2007 at 10:02. Reason: correlation

thanks oleo and dzontra, it works for me!

How to upgrade from 0.82 to 0.93+?

Quote Originally Posted by gamerhk View Post
    How to upgrade from 0.82 to 0.93+?
    wait until it is released.
    Übersicht aller HowTos --- HowTo Overview (mostly german)
    WL-HDD mit diesem Setup. --- WL-HDD with this setup.
    Kein Support per PM - Frage im jeweiligen Thread! --- No support via pm - ask in the according thread!
    Eine wirklich gute Idee erkennt man daran, dass ihre Verwirklichung von vorne herein ausgeschlossen erscheint. (Albert Einstein)

I see it has been released from the transmission website isn't it?

but oleo has to release version for our asus router.
    Have a look here for available packages and versions.

wengi
    Übersicht aller HowTos --- HowTo Overview (mostly german)
    WL-HDD mit diesem Setup. --- WL-HDD with this setup.
    Kein Support per PM - Frage im jeweiligen Thread! --- No support via pm - ask in the according thread!
    Eine wirklich gute Idee erkennt man daran, dass ihre Verwirklichung von vorne herein ausgeschlossen erscheint. (Albert Einstein)

ic....so need to wait

Transmission weird log ??

the text log is ok but the graph looks like this ?????

Creating graph...
    plot '/tmp/harddisk/torrent/work/transfer.data' using ($1+86400++3600):2 title 'download' axis x1y1 with impulses, '/tmp/harddisk/torrent/work/transfer.data' using ($1+86400++3600):3 title 'upload' with impulses, '/tmp/harddisk/torrent/work/transfer.data' using ($1+86400++3600):4 axis x1y2 title 'load' with lines ^ "/tmp/harddisk/torrent/work/transfer.gnuplot", line 13: warning: Skipping data file with no valid points plot '/tmp/harddisk/torrent/work/transfer.data' using ($1+86400++3600):2 title 'download' axis x1y1 with impulses, '/tmp/harddisk/torrent/work/transfer.data' using ($1+86400++3600):3 title 'upload' with impulses, '/tmp/harddisk/torrent/work/transfer.data' using ($1+86400++3600):4 axis x1y2 title 'load' with lines ^ "/tmp/harddisk/torrent/work/transfer.gnuplot", line 13: warning: Skipping data file with no valid points plot '/tmp/harddisk/torrent/work/transfer.data' using ($1+86400++3600):2 title 'download' axis x1y1 with impulses, '/tmp/harddisk/torrent/work/transfer.data' using ($1+86400++3600):3 title 'upload' with impulses, '/tmp/harddisk/torrent/work/transfer.data' using ($1+86400++3600):4 axis x1y2 title 'load' with lines ^ "/tmp/harddisk/torrent/work/transfer.gnuplot", line 13: warning: Skipping data file with no valid points plot '/tmp/harddisk/torrent/work/transfer.data' using ($1+86400++3600):2 title 'download' axis x1y1 with impulses, '/tmp/harddisk/torrent/work/transfer.data' using ($1+86400++3600):3 title 'upload' with impulses, '/tmp/harddisk/torrent/work/transfer.data' using ($1+86400++3600):4 axis x1y2 title 'load' with lines ^ "/tmp/harddisk/torrent/work/transfer.gnuplot", line 13: x range is invalid

Anyone knows what's wrong

You have empty syslog. Press update to see if that changes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast