Thread: Home Gateway newbie... Wireless not working

Home Gateway newbie... Wireless not working

Hello

Before anyone asks..firmware 1.8.1.7 (original)

I'm sorry if Im asking something silly.. but Im a newbie at this so be gentle please. I tried really, really hard to get this to work, I READ the f* manual, looked on google etc etc.. but I cant get it to work. I have my WL-500g setup as Home Gateway. ADSL modem connected. up and running, my wired PCs all can connect to the internet.. HURRAY! works great.

But my laptop (wireless) CAN connect (54mbps) but I cant ping anything or surf the internet, or connect to http://192.168.5.253 (the router). The ASUS Device Discovery cant even find the WL-500g (from the wireless laptop), although it says it has connection. If I connect the laptop to the router through Cable (with the same TCP/IP settings) I suddenly CAN connect and ping and surf etc..
    Why doesnt the wireless thingy work? Im probably missing something REALLY obvious. Sorry in advance for that.. But please help.

some settings
    WL-500g:
    LAN IP: 192.168.5.253, 255.255.255.0, gateway: 192.168.5.253

PC1 (wired) 192.168.5.1, 255.255.255.0 can connect to internet
    Laptop (wireless) 192.168.5.9, 255.255.255.0 cannot connect to internet, but has wireless connection.

Thanks so much for your help.

Kind regards,
    Fenni
    Last edited by Fenni; 04-11-2004 at 22:37.

Thanks for your reply, Antiloop.

But the laptop CAN connect thats not the problem. I just dont get internet connection, and cant ping any other pc on the network.
    I will try what you suggested however.

Thanks again,
    Fenni

Quote Originally Posted by Fenni
    Thanks for your reply, Antiloop.

But the laptop CAN connect thats not the problem. I just dont get internet connection, and cant ping any other pc on the network.
    I will try what you suggested however.

Thanks again,
    Fenni
    you are able to connect even when keys are wrong(?) entered, only connections stay dead because encryption does not match.

if it works without encryption then it's either a problem that your client is not able to handle specific encryption, think of wpa-psk aes.. or the keys used for encryption do not match at server(wl500g) and client(pc/notebook)

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Please supply the following info:

brand and type of your wireless card

OS you ar running

settings of your wireless connection (SSID; TCP/IP config)

Running any software firewalls on your laptop? Some firewalls will discriminate between wired and wireless connection.

Did you check network configuration for your LAN connection?

If you running W2K or up please open a DOS command shell and type ipconfig /all and post the output
    Brubber

WL-500g, WL-138g, WL-160g

Talking Solved!!

W0000T!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your help. I did a reset on all Wireless settings, and configured my notebook accordingly. Then I had Internet connection! Now I configured it step by step back to the point it didnt work, but now it works!!

Thanks for all your comments to help this newbie out. I learned a lot today!!

Best regards,
    Fenni