Thread: speedtouch 546 + wl500gp

speedtouch 546 + wl500gp

Hi all,
    yeah I know I am a newbie...I searched around the forum but I did not find a clear solution to my issue.

Well it is simple. I currently have a "wired" DSL modem router (the 546).
    it connects to the internet via PPOE.

Until here not problem right..just a straight PPOE connection with wired "routed" computers.

I bought the wl500gp to add wireless connectivity.
    I understand I have to set my modem to bridge, which I did and it looked like it was as bridge (At least the confi said so) and wired to the wl500gp on the WAN port.

So then on the wl500gp I configure a "home" type of connection with DSL connection via PPOE, so the wl500 can dial PPOE on the modem.

So I get my PPOE identifiers in the wl500gp and restart it.

I never seeemd to dial anything. and I cannot see anywhere what is the status of the connection. Well on the status page it shows PPOE connectivity with a connect/disconnect button, but clicking connect did not do anything and did not even provide with error messages.

now I would like someone to gently guide me thu knowing that I just have the out of the box firmware (nothing fancy yet).

please how can I get my speedtouch 546 and wl500gp to work?

Thank you

solution:

I have a speedtouch 546i and a wl500gp (in wds mode) and several wrt54gl and belkin behind the wl.

My speedtouch is not in modem mode, just router mode.
    But it should not make any difference, because the speedtouch is connecting to INET with user, password anyway.
    Hence, you have to set the Asus in Menu: IP Config - WAN & LAN just to Automatic IP, Apply & Finish - thats it.

BTW: if you want to use your asus as webserver aso., please do not forget, that the DMZ settings in the speedtouch menu is nearly hidden.

Newbiefan

Thumbs down

Thanks for the config tip.
    I wonder why the wl500 cannot really handle ppoe dialing?!

So I had my 546 back to modem/dhcp and had the wl500 connected in AP mode turning off the dhcp - letting the modem do it all.

I had to assign an ip to the wl500 as it would let it config it as dhcp.
    Also dont forget to configure the ip to sovle dns. as the modem does it all, use its ip for dns resolution on the wl500.

well I am disappointed by the wl500 and ppoe handling.... but it works.