Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead or brick ? Lan and WAN 1-4 leds on steady

Hi all,
    I have the same issue (power led off, lan leds on and fixed, wan on and fixed) but I measured the voltage of my power supply and it is 5.15V, than I used another power supply without success.
    Do you have any suggest?
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by giangi72; 14-09-2009 at 11:32.

Quote Originally Posted by giangi72 View Post
    Hi all,
    I have the same issue (power led off, lan leds on and fixed, wan on and fixed) but I measured the voltage of my power supply and it is 5.15V, than I used another power supply without success.
    Do you have any suggest?
    Thanks in advance
    Do you know for sure that this 'another' power supply is able to supply 5v at at least 2,5amperes? IF not, it won't boot. Use your pc's power supply just to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by raas View Post
    Do you know for sure that this 'another' power supply is able to supply 5v at at least 2,5amperes? IF not, it won't boot. Use your pc's power supply just to make sure.
    I'm sure the other power supply have 5v but it is 1 ampere.
    Are you sure it should be 2,5 amperes?
    Only to try don't should be enough 1 ampere?
    Thanks

like you said in your previous post, you tried it without succes. this is prob. due to the psu not supplying enough current. if 5v@1a would be enough, Asus would have supplied the device with such an adapter. (besides that, electronic devices do need a lot of/most of the power on startup, like a harddrive, It needs power to spin-up, but once it's spinning, it doesn't need lot of power to keep it spinning.)
    Be wise, use a power supply wich supplies enough current to make sure, or you might come to wrong conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon78 View Post
    Same problem. I want to test another adapter now. I will post the result.
    I tryed another power suply and it works. So, adapter is broken. When router starts it takes about 0.75A and when the wireless is on - 1.1A.

I try to claim the adapter, because it is still under warranty.

It was by the defective power suply.
    When router starts, it takes 0.75A, but when the wirelles is on, it takes 1.1A !!
    So 5V 1A is not enough.
    Last edited by Leon78; 15-09-2009 at 20:08.

Thanks for your answer.
    I have just bought a new power supply and I'm waiting for it.

Strange things happens here since the past summer...
    broken files on hdd, sometimes the router doesn't boot from hdd, sometimes it needs more than one power cycle to boot correctly... with or without my 2.5" HDD connected (powered by Asus).
    The same cfg worked without an issue for 3 years.

I hope these problems will be solved fixing the power supply, but...

How did you opened your Asus power supply ?
    Mine is one-box of plastic...

I've found a good alternative on eBay, D-Link 5v/3a PSE-S5VDC3A or JTA0302F-E.

Does anybody knows if this ps use the same Asus plug on 5V side ?
    Last edited by QMax; 16-09-2009 at 14:35.

Waiting for the new power supply from China...
    I replaced the original Asus PS with a enormous 5-12V 20A, well... my WL500W is alive !
    Ok, so I opened the original PS and replaced the only one 1200uF/10V condenser (the one near the output 5V cable) and now all works fine.

Hope could be helpful for someone

Max

Ok.
    I used a 2.5 A power supply and all works correctly now.
    Thanks you very much for your help

I can confirm

The same problem with my power adapter: Changed for my colleague's one and working again.

There is a thread here (https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=88666) where they say that it is a leaked capacitor, so no need to PIN-trick the router...

Bye...

Quote Originally Posted by internetmanager View Post
    After a few days of investigation I have found that the power supply is faulty.
    Thanks a bunch for the post, it saved me a lot of time and money

I didn't even have to buy a new power supply, as I managed to replace the leaked capacitor by another one (thanks kath!)

Feeling happy again

13. Having the same problem.. Couldn't see any leaky capacitators, but i'll check again this weekend.

Irritating, this is too early for hardware to die on me. Ran for about 3 years 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Elect View Post
    Having the same problem.. Couldn't see any leaky capacitators, but i'll check again this weekend.

Irritating, this is too early for hardware to die on me. Ran for about 3 years 24/7.
    If you have 5V on the ps output, go straight and replace the 1200uF/10V capacitor with a new one. You can use a 1000uF/12V, worked fine for me.

Max

From my previous post:

Quote Originally Posted by QMax View Post
    I opened the original PS and replaced the only one 1200uF/10V condenser (the one near the output 5V cable) and now all works fine.

Hope could be helpful for someone

Max

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast