Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 66

Thread: Firmware v1.8.2.4 BETA

  1. #31
    the 1.8.2.4 beta seems fix the Wan port die issue... I test 2 weeks. Wan Port die seems fix.... very good...

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    8

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesleyrpg
    ok...i've had a bit of a fiddle with this new firmware and i like it, but it still has issues with the bigpond 'heartbeat'. The only way i could get it to connect was to enter the 'heartbeat' ip address manually. Once it's connected though it's fine, and doesn't drop out.

    The only other grip is it doesn't detect the time properly here in melbourne, it's am hour off for some reason, that may be related to daylight savings.

    i definately prefer 1.8.1.7-2a, but will stick with this version for the next few days, to see what its like. Oh and my Logitech Quickcam for Notebooks Pro works just fine on this firmware, i was reading elsewhere that this cam didn't work with the router.
    Wesleyrpg:

    Has this version continued to run OK for you on Bigpond?
    I had troubles with it and the heartbeat so went back to version 1.7.5.9-5, but can't stand it.
    Does your IP drop everyday or so? If not please let me know what you have done to keep it going. I have entered the NSW heartbeat server address but it still drops.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    70
    Hi all,

    I use Firmware v1.8.2.4 BETA and everything seems fine.
    I reseted all settings so I made a real fresh start.

    But now I have one problem. The laptop with wireless can not see the rest of the computers which are hard-wired. Ofcourse all computers are in the same work-group.
    The laptop can go on the internet and ping the other computers.
    But in windows the laptop can not see the others.
    Nothing else changed, except the firmware.

    Any sugestions?????? please help!!!
    Last edited by i-beast-a; 16-11-2004 at 08:25.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    69

    Exclamation

    I have been testing this firmware for 2 days. It appears that the WAN port die issue is corrected, but there is another issue that is as irritating as that one: Check your logs for dead activity periods. I download and upload constantly using bittorrent and I can see dead valleys in my logs. This has been described here before as "router rebooting" issue by Antiloop. I have been advised to turn off the router and disconnect everything for 15 minutes and restart it again. Yes it use to help but the problem is back always after 1 or 2 days of constant activity. Until now nobody has explain me what ocassionates this problem.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Eindhoven
    Posts
    2,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorz
    I have been testing this firmware for 2 days. It appears that the WAN port die issue is corrected, but there is another issue that is as irritating as that one: Check your logs for dead activity periods. I download and upload constantly using bittorrent and I can see dead valleys in my logs. This has been described here before as "router rebooting" issue by Antiloop. I have been advised to turn off the router and disconnect everything for 15 minutes and restart it again. Yes it use to help but the problem is back always after 1 or 2 days of constant activity. Until now nobody has explain me what ocassionates this problem.
    please explain a bit more.. (with graphs or something)
    and is this wireless or wired

    My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook



    WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

    Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    21
    This version of firmware is ok but still it isn't great with the heartbeat server, it seems to boot me off once a day or so.

    The most luck i've had with keeping Bigpond alive is with the custom firmware 1.8.1.7-2a, i didn't need to enter any Heartbeat server address and for the most part it stayed online for days at a time.

    I'm going to try the new custom firmware 1.8.1.7-3 to see how good it is...i'll post once i've tested it after a few days and let you know how good it is!


    Quote Originally Posted by Horse
    Wesleyrpg:

    Has this version continued to run OK for you on Bigpond?
    I had troubles with it and the heartbeat so went back to version 1.7.5.9-5, but can't stand it.
    Does your IP drop everyday or so? If not please let me know what you have done to keep it going. I have entered the NSW heartbeat server address but it still drops.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    please explain a bit more.. (with graphs or something)
    and is this wireless or wired
    It doesn't matter if I am onb wired or wireless, I am on wired must of the time when I use bittorrent (Azureus). I start some downloads and start also Task manager for monitoring the network connection. Everything is fine but at some point I start to get dead spots in the activity log of the "networking monitor" in task manager, these are easy to see because the graphs shows 0 activity during some seconds. After some seconds the activity comes to normal again. When it starts it use to be intermitent, the dead mini-periods come back at random intervals but doesn't dissapear until I turn off the router and let it be off for some time (15-30 minutes) as you told me to do in a previous post.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    21
    Just wanted to add a quick note, i couldn't get 1.8.1.7-3 to work at all with the heartbeat, in fact it wouldn't connect at all. Horse the best fiirmware so far for good heartbeat support is 1.8.1.7-2a. works like a charm


    Quote Originally Posted by Wesleyrpg
    This version of firmware is ok but still it isn't great with the heartbeat server, it seems to boot me off once a day or so.

    The most luck i've had with keeping Bigpond alive is with the custom firmware 1.8.1.7-2a, i didn't need to enter any Heartbeat server address and for the most part it stayed online for days at a time.

    I'm going to try the new custom firmware 1.8.1.7-3 to see how good it is...i'll post once i've tested it after a few days and let you know how good it is!

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    8
    Wesleyrpg I have tried that version and it was not stable for me. The only completely reliable firmware I have found for use with Bigpond is 1.7.5.9-5 (thanks to rwhitby). The problem I have with that version is I can't get the webcam to work. And that's my goal - online all the time with the Webcan running with the security mode.

    Not too much to ask, hey ASUS? I hope they fix 1.8 for Bigpond soon.

    P.S. for all those wondering, Bigpond is the an ISP in Australia.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    21
    Horse, try the custom firmware 1.8.1.7-3 its works great with the heartbeat, i been up and running stably with this firmware for 18 hours now

    oh and you should have the webcam support that you need

  11. #41

    Not fixed - Connect/Disconnect Wireless interface

    Hello,

    I don't know if anyone noticed this before but the 'connect/disconnect' buttons available under 'status & log -> Wireless ' don't work correctly.

    They do turn on/off the wifi interface but once you disable and reenable the wireless interface using this buttons it won't be possible to connect any device until rebooting the router.

    This is most annoying!

    I'm attaching a screenshot showing the buttons i'm refering to.

    Thx
    ~/gnf.pt
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Horse
    The only completely reliable firmware I have found for use with Bigpond is 1.7.5.9-5 (thanks to rwhitby).
    Horse,

    Yeah, that's the version I still run. I tried to fix 1.8.x to be as stable, but Asus have completely changed the software internals all around, and I couldn't easily work out how to make it as stable as 1.7.5.9-5 (which is rock solid for *months* on end for me). So I'm sticking with 1.7.5.9-5 for the time being ...

    -- Rod

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesleyrpg
    Horse, try the custom firmware 1.8.1.7-3 its works great with the heartbeat, i been up and running stably with this firmware for 18 hours now

    oh and you should have the webcam support that you need
    Wesleyrpg,

    Glad that version is working for you. It's a reasonable attempt at BigPond support (if you don't require 24x7x365 uptime). It would drop out at least once or twice a week for me, so I dumped it and reinstalled the last custom 1.7 version (which is *rock* solid - nothing can make it stay disconnected other than a continuous BigPond outage).

    -- Rod

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    7
    I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not, anyway: will there be a firmware version with WAN die fixed AND samba/telnet/etc. support?

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,307
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo
    I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not, anyway: will there be a firmware version with WAN die fixed AND samba/telnet/etc. support?
    No, but if you use v.1.8.1.7-3 from Oleg, you can try to fix the WAN die problem using a fixed port speed. Search to forum for that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Firmware v1.9.3.9 BETA
    By Antiloop in forum WL-530g Firmware Releases
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-06-2006, 14:38
  2. Firmware v1.9.3.6 BETA
    By Antiloop in forum WL-300g Firmware Releases
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18-11-2005, 10:49
  3. Firmware v1.9.3.6 BETA
    By Antiloop in forum WL-500g Firmware Releases
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 27-04-2005, 08:54
  4. Firmware v1.9.3.6 BETA
    By Antiloop in forum WL-500gx Firmware Releases
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-03-2005, 03:40
  5. Firmware v1.7.5.7 BETA
    By Antiloop in forum WL-500g Firmware Releases
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 13-05-2004, 00:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •