Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KFurge Firmware installed ok, but need further help

1. Hi neil,

thank you for your tolerance, I will promise I won't give up. Last time I did not notice a very important thing: I was trying to install cups 1.2.12, but my ipkg install command was overwritten, I do not know why, and v1.3 had been installed automatically.
    I thought I would be tricky, if I tried offline installation:

ipkg -o /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1 install cups_1.2.12-2_mipsel.ipk

(Of course, before I release this command I had copied cups and cups-doc ipk files to /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1)

System message:

Installing cups (1.2.12-2) to root...
    Nothing to be done
    An error ocurred, return value: 1.
    Collected errors:
    ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for cups:
    libjpeg libpng libtiff openssl zlib

But I had installed these dependent packages.

So I stucked again. Do you think the problem is I should not install "unslung" version of cups? Main issue is "optware" version of cups v 1.2.12 is not available (only 1.3).

Have you got any idea how I can download "optware" version of cups v 1.2.12? I have not found yet.

The way to switch to the optware repository is:
    1a) either
    PHP Code:
    cat > /opt/etc/ipkg.conf << _eof
    src
    /gz optware http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable
    dest /opt/ /
    _eof 
    1b) or install oleg's -8 firmware
    and
    2) reinstall all the packsges starting from uclibc-opt and ipkg-opt
    P.S. Sorry, there is no easier way

3. Hi,

I appriciate your help, but I do not want to switch my current repository (permanently), because I am very satisfied with kfurge custom firmware (based Oleg's optware repository). I think cups is a valuable feature, but not such important. Truthfully I do not want to remove+reinstall ipkg packages, since they work very well.

I hope I will be able to find cups v1.2.xx ipkg package or at least earlier than v.1.3.xx. Nobody has got archive ipkg optware packages? Please, share that!

simple way around all this:

1) uninstall you current cups version

2) comment out the lines from your ipkg.conf file for 'src' etc (i just put a '#' in front for now). THIS IS ONLY TEMPORARY!

3) do the ipkg-install but specify the full path to the .ipk, e.g. http://ipkg.nslu2...etc etc etc

4) this should (SHOULD) install everything as you expect...you can now uncomment the src line in the ipkg.conf file.

worked for me...if not, then any dependencies not satisfied should also be added, then go back and repeat step 2 onwards...again, see the early part of the thread as i covered this then. I found I had to do the commenting out otherwise ipkg always chose the latest version (which as stated before doesn't work!)

good luck...

5. Unhappy

Hi neil,

thanx for your tip. I commented out all lines beginning "src" word, after that I was be able to install my version of cups by ipkg offline installation. Before cups installation I had done these steps:

ipkg update

ipkg install libjpeg

ipkg install libtiff

ipkg install openssl

ipkg install zlib

And finally:

ipkg -o /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1 install cups_1.2.12-2_mipsel.ipk

However, I always get this error message:

ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for cups-doc:
    libjpeg libpng libtiff openssl zlib

Hence I deduce I should use optware version (do not forget that I tried to install unslung version), but I do not have that.

Neil, could you attached your optware cups and cups-doc ipkg packages in your next post?

again, see the previous post: do EXACTLY as it says in step 3...i.e. not the path to some local directory on your box, use the full path to http://blah-de-blah (can't remember the url of top of head).

i believe the ipkg then looks locally from that address for the other stuff and you're all set. well, it worked for me. if you can't get that to work, sorry i'm at end of what i can help you with: haven't got ipkgs to send, it all just worked for me in accordance to what i've listed in this whole thread...the only thing i can say is go back and do EXACTLY what it says: don't make assumtions - try and follow it word-for-word.

particularly, see post #15 in this thread

Code:
    ipkg remove cups-doc
    ipkg install http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable/cups_1.2.12-2_mipsel.ipk
    ipkg install http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable/cups-doc_1.2.12-2_mipsel.ipk
    these are the exact commands i used after commenting out the '#' from ipkg.conf: if you can't get these to work, then sorry, i'm out of ideas...

7. Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    again, see the previous post: do EXACTLY as it says in step 3...i.e. not the path to some local directory on your box, use the full path to http://blah-de-blah (can't remember the url of top of head).

i believe the ipkg then looks locally from that address for the other stuff and you're all set. well, it worked for me. if you can't get that to work, sorry i'm at end of what i can help you with: haven't got ipkgs to send, it all just worked for me in accordance to what i've listed in this whole thread...the only thing i can say is go back and do EXACTLY what it says: don't make assumtions - try and follow it word-for-word.

particularly, see post #15 in this thread

Code:
    ipkg remove cups-doc
    ipkg install http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable/cups_1.2.12-2_mipsel.ipk
    ipkg install http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable/cups-doc_1.2.12-2_mipsel.ipk
    these are the exact commands i used after commenting out the '#' from ipkg.conf: if you can't get these to work, then sorry, i'm out of ideas...

Hi neil,

do not get hurt me, I did exactly what you write me. But what is the point if I release this command:

ipkg install http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op...2-2_mipsel.ipk

Please, understand my problem these archive does not exists! Of course, I get error 404: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found. Try it, click on URL, if you cannot believe me.
    That is why I tried to ask you to send me your original ipkg files if you able to do. I see now you do not have cups and cups-doc v1.2.12.xx files, however until I cannot get these I am not able to install cups v1.2.12.xx even you repeat always I should execute exactly commands located in previous posts.

ok, so simply put they're not there. dunno then, cos i aint got 'em anymore...
    anyone know where the old versions of ipkgs for oleg/optware etc go? cos without that, no cups on wl700g ;(

9. cups v1.2.12 source

Hi,

I have successfully got source of cups v1.2.12. I could not attach it, because there is an attached file size limitation, but you can find it here: http://ftp.easysw.com/pub/cups/1.2.12/

As well I do not know exactly how I can compile it (after I unpacked archive).

Hope this helps...?

Metamorphose:

Sorry to leave you hanging - got a bit stressed pre-xmas so sorry for any terse posts: i know how helpless i felt when i couldn't get it working...

so, i still can't find the original 1.2.12-2 cups .ipk that you need (NOTE TO KFURGE: if you plan on adding cups support into the next firmware release you'll need to find this version of cups as its the only one i had any success with on the wl700), but the next best thing i can do is zip up the appropriate diectories from my white box with the cupsd binary and my printers.conf file and you can mess with them from there...i'm guessing do a standard latest cups install, and then over-write with these files?

don't know for sure how it'll all work on your end as i don't know exactly what files were in the .ipk, so if it fails, let me know (don't expect anything quick tho as i'm somewhat overworked at the moment!!)

let me know how you get on...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    KFURGE: if you plan on adding cups support into the next firmware release you'll need to find this version of cups as its the only one i had any success with on the wl700
    Thanks for the heads-up since cups is definitely on the list in-leiu of printd.

- K.C.

12. Hi neil,

first of all let me say a big thanx for your attached files. I copied those to proper directories and set up printers.conf and cupsd.conf, however has no effect. Moreover, cups log mechanism is not working, because I had been starting cups, I did not find new entries in /opt/var/log/cups/error_log file.
    Unfortunately, your good "bypass" idea is not working.
    Kfurge, may I ask you to compile cupsd v1.2.12-2 source and publicize (in this thread) the ipk (cups and cups-doc)? I think I mentioned the proper URL above, but here is the official:

http://www.cups.org/software.php?FIL...sysw.com%2Fpub

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by metamorphose View Post
    Kfurge, may I ask you to compile cupsd v1.2.12-2 source and publicize (in this thread) the ipk (cups and cups-doc)?
    I've never made an ipk and am busy working on an 1.0.7.8 firmware image at the moment. I think the better solution is to figure out why the latest package doesn't work and fix that rather than hold on to the past...

Since CUPS is on my to-do list, and I need it also for my linux laptop to print, I'll eventually get it working.

- K.C.

Now on 1.0.7.8

I agree KC - try and get the latest package to work; in fact, as of Nov2007 the specific bug (cupsDoSelect() failed) seems to have been fixed

i'm looking into doing exactly this, but i don't hold out much hope of this happening any time soon due to various time constraints: i am however able to build optware packages on my PC now under vmware, so at least this is progress of sorts.

but for those who need it desperately (i'm aiming this at you metamorphose !) here's a tarball of ALL my cups related files from my working install under old firmware (1.0.4.6).

in the process of moving over to the (awesome) new firmware from KC, i started with a clean 'opt' as per the instructions - thus losing my vital cups install (my wife needs the printer all the time), so i've taken ALL the cups references from my old opt, tar'd them up, and then done 'tar xvf cups_opt.tar.gz' from directory '/shares/MYVOLUME1'.

And it just works straight off. Ok, so its got my printers set up in it, but read the whole of this thread, and you should be able to get your own working in no time. Ok ok, so its not the latest and greatest, its not a proper optware package, and its probably got a bunch of files in there that aren't necessary, but it should fill the hole for those who need it out there.

UPDATE: damn! file limit = 1mb, and its a 2.6mb .tar.gz: i'll upload it somewhere tomorrow, and then update this posting then. agghhh! its never easy when you're in a rush!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123