Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KFurge Firmware installed ok, but need further help

KFurge Firmware installed ok, but need further help

Hi all,

Ok, finally had enough time to install KFurge's firmware, and just want to say a big thanks to KFurge for getting this going: i finally feel a lot more in control of the "great white brick" - those put off doing so cos of the complexity of install should do so...the instructions where spot on.

So I have a few questions now to move me a long further (my linux knowledge is rather rusty - its been 10years! - but its amazing how satisfying it was to telnet onto the box and vi a file!):

1) having difficulty with sudo: i've created a user account, added it into the /opt/etc/sudoers file (copied the 'root' line entry and renamed for my user) - but in my user account i can't use ipkg to install stuff. doing 'sudo ipkg install' etc gives me a password request box, then repeats that for the command to carry out; i read elsewhere on these forums that the latest version of the sudo package doesn't work right, but an older one does: how do i install that one (ipkg forces me to take the latest)

2) anyone got cups printing going? the principal driver for me in going to the kfurge firmware is not for bit-torrent stuff like many people, but improving upon the cruddy printd print server. so ideally cups is the best solution - can anyone talk me through how it can be done?? and does this work from boot-up unlike printd (as kfurge has listed elsewhere, it needs you to got to the config screen to get it to work properly!!)

3) what's the best media server package to go for? in the next few months i intend to get an xbox360 - keep dropping the wife enough hints!! - so i'd like to get the asus setup ready to go: i'd like to be able to stream music/video etc to the 360, as well as music to itunes as well, so i can manage it via my mac. the options seem to include stuff such as twonky, ushare, gmediaserver, to name but a few: anyone had positive experience on these (ideally it should be free, so twonky may be a 'no') and if so, can talk me through setup

all help welcome

i only know the 2) and how i made it...

i have formated the hd again (with openwrt) than i installed the asus firmware --> than the custom firmware.

then i followed the steps in the guide from kfurge and i don't added the line 5) Add the following line to /opt/etc/ipkg.conf with the newly installed busybox version of vi: "src optware http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable".

and don't made the ikg update. then i made ipkg install http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op...2-6_mipsel.ipk

then i followed again the steps from kfurge (Step #3, Installing optware packages --> with step 5 --> above what i don't made before).

i think there is a better solution but i don't know it!

grat182

i think you meant (1) - but thanks VERY much: that did it...actually didn't need to go the whole hog of starting again from scratch:

basically comment out the 'src optware http://ipkg...blah' in /opt/etc/ipkg.conf,
    then do 'ipkg remove sudo' to get rid of the duff version,
    'ipkg install http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable/sudo_1.6.8p12-6_mipsel.ipk' to install the good version,
    then comment back in the 'src optware...' line in /opt/etc/ipkg.conf,

and it all worked for me (remember: you've uninstalled sudo, so you'll have to re-edit the /opt/etc/sudoers file to add your user privileges again)

great stuff; thanks!

now, anyone want to take a stab at (2) and (3) please...?
    Last edited by neil; 01-10-2007 at 22:35.

I'm going to take a crack at number two tomorrow. I'm pretty fed up with the printd issue. At the very least I need to fix it to get my girlfriend off my back. The old router worked fantastic for printing over the network, and she's already pissed with all the screwing around I do with the new one .

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    i think you meant (1) - but thanks VERY much: that did it...actually didn't need to go the whole hog of starting again from scratch:

basically comment out the 'src optware http://ipkg...blah' in /opt/etc/ipkg.conf,
    then do 'ipkg remove sudo' to get rid of the duff version,
    'ipkg install http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable/sudo_1.6.8p12-6_mipsel.ipk' to install the good version,
    then comment back in the 'src optware...' line in /opt/etc/ipkg.conf,

and it all worked for me (remember: you've uninstalled sudo, so you'll have to re-edit the /opt/etc/sudoers file to add your user privileges again)

great stuff; thanks!

now, anyone want to take a stab at (2) and (3) please...?

So when I said tomorrow, I meant tonight. I'm making progress, but am currently stuck with this in my error_log

X [02/Oct/2007:01:36:41 +0000] cupsdDoSelect() failed - Function not implemented!

Google helped me find a couple other people with the same problem, but no solution. Anybody else got this working? I'll post any progress I make.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccro View Post
    I'm going to take a crack at number two tomorrow. I'm pretty fed up with the printd issue. At the very least I need to fix it to get my girlfriend off my back. The old router worked fantastic for printing over the network, and she's already pissed with all the screwing around I do with the new one .

Well, that's a hell of a lot further than me! i'm still struggling to run the damned thing:

* Running /opt/sbin/cupsd says "Child exited with status 1"
    * Running /opt/doc/cups/S88cups says "using /opt/lib/modules/printer.o - insmod ELF file not for this architecture"
    * Running /opt/doc/cups/S89cups-lpd sits there as if running (separate shell confirms this using 'ps') but can't access the webconfig via ip:631

How have you got things going thus far? what's your .conf file too??

Take a look at your /opt/var/log/cups/error_log to see what's going on with the service. Paste it in here and I'll let you know if I dealt with the same issues. I'm running just by issuing 'sudo /opt/sbin/cupsd'. Also, 10.10.100.1 is my router.

My cupsd.conf:

Code:
    #
    # "$Id: cupsd.conf.in 6720 2007-07-25 00:40:03Z mike $"
    #
    #   Sample configuration file for the Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS)
    #   scheduler.  See "man cupsd.conf" for a complete description of this
    #   file.
    #

# Log general information in error_log - change "info" to "debug" for
    # troubleshooting...
    LogLevel info

# Administrator user group...
    SystemGroup sys root

ServerName 10.10.100.1

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
    Listen 127.0.0.1:631
    Listen /opt/var/run/cups/cups.sock
    Listen 10.10.100.1:631

# Show shared printers on the local network.
    Browsing On
    BrowseOrder allow,deny
    BrowseAllow all

# Default authentication type, when authentication is required...
    DefaultAuthType Basic

# Restrict access to the server...
    <Location />
      Order allow,deny
      Allow localhost
      Allow 10.10.100.0/255.255.255.0
    </Location>

# Restrict access to the admin pages...
    <Location /admin>
      Encryption Required
      Order allow,deny
      Allow localhost
    </Location>

# Restrict access to configuration files...
    <Location /admin/conf>
      AuthType Default
      Require user @SYSTEM
      Order allow,deny
      Allow localhost
    </Location>

# Set the default printer/job policies...
    <Policy default>
      # Job-related operations must be done by the owner or an administrator...
      <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
        Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
        Order deny,allow
      </Limit>

# All administration operations require an administrator to authenticate...
      <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>
        AuthType Default
        Require user @SYSTEM
        Order deny,allow
      </Limit>

# All printer operations require a printer operator to authenticate...
      <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
        AuthType Default
        Require user @SYSTEM
        Order deny,allow
      </Limit>

# Only the owner or an administrator can cancel or authenticate a job...
      <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
        Order deny,allow
      </Limit>

<Limit All>
        Order deny,allow
      </Limit>
    </Policy>

#
    # End of "$Id: cupsd.conf.in 6720 2007-07-25 00:40:03Z mike $".
    #
    Well, that's a hell of a lot further than me! i'm still struggling to run the damned thing:

* Running /opt/sbin/cupsd says "Child exited with status 1"
    * Running /opt/doc/cups/S88cups says "using /opt/lib/modules/printer.o - insmod ELF file not for this architecture"
    * Running /opt/doc/cups/S89cups-lpd sits there as if running (separate shell confirms this using 'ps') but can't access the webconfig via ip:631

How have you got things going thus far? what's your .conf file too??
    Last edited by Maccro; 02-10-2007 at 23:10.

yup, stuck with the same error in the errorlog:
    Code:
    -bash-3.2$ sudo /opt/sbin/cupsd
    -bash-3.2$ more /opt/var/log/cups/error_log
    E [03/Oct/2007:19:30:12 +0000] Unknown SystemGroup "sys root" on line 14, ignoring!
    I [03/Oct/2007:19:30:12 +0000] Listening to 7f00:1:783b:ff7f:::631 (IPv6)
    I [03/Oct/2007:19:30:12 +0000] Listening to 127.0.0.1:631 (IPv4)
    I [03/Oct/2007:19:30:12 +0000] Listening to /opt/var/run/cups/cups.sock (Domain)
    I [03/Oct/2007:19:30:12 +0000] Listening to 192.168.0.11:631 (IPv4)
    I [03/Oct/2007:19:30:12 +0000] Loaded configuration file "/opt/etc/cups/cupsd.conf"
    I [03/Oct/2007:19:30:12 +0000] Using default TempDir of /opt/var/spool/cups/tmp...
    I [03/Oct/2007:19:30:12 +0000] Configured for up to 100 clients.
    I [03/Oct/2007:19:30:12 +0000] Allowing up to 100 client connections per host.
    I [03/Oct/2007:19:30:12 +0000] Using policy "default" as the default!
    I [03/Oct/2007:19:30:12 +0000] Full reload is required.
    I [03/Oct/2007:19:30:12 +0000] Loaded MIME database from '/opt/etc/cups': 29 types, 37 filters...
    I [03/Oct/2007:19:30:13 +0000] Loading job cache file "/opt/var/cache/cups/job.cache"...
    I [03/Oct/2007:19:30:13 +0000] Full reload complete.
    I [03/Oct/2007:19:30:13 +0000] Cleaning out old temporary files in "/opt/var/spool/cups/tmp"...
    E [03/Oct/2007:19:30:13 +0000] Unable to open listen socket for address 7f00:1:783b:ff7f:::631 - Address family not supported by protocol.
    I [03/Oct/2007:19:30:13 +0000] Listening to 127.0.0.1:631 on fd 0...
    I [03/Oct/2007:19:30:13 +0000] Listening to /opt/var/run/cups/cups.sock on fd 2...
    I [03/Oct/2007:19:30:13 +0000] Listening to 192.168.0.11:631 on fd 3...
    I [03/Oct/2007:19:30:13 +0000] Resuming new connection processing...
    X [03/Oct/2007:19:30:13 +0000] cupsdDoSelect() failed - Function not implemented!
    X [03/Oct/2007:19:30:13 +0000] Listeners[0] = -1
    X [03/Oct/2007:19:30:13 +0000] Listeners[1] = 0
    X [03/Oct/2007:19:30:13 +0000] Listeners[2] = 2
    X [03/Oct/2007:19:30:13 +0000] Listeners[3] = 3
    X [03/Oct/2007:19:30:13 +0000] BrowseSocket = 4
    X [03/Oct/2007:19:30:13 +0000] CGIPipes[0] = 5
    E [03/Oct/2007:19:30:13 +0000] Scheduler shutting down due to program error.
    I [03/Oct/2007:19:30:13 +0000] Saving job cache file "/opt/var/cache/cups/job.cache"...
    -bash-3.2$
    On a different tack, the following:

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/AddPrinter

suggests using S88cups script to start the cups daemon. Doing this always give me the following (after a bit of tinkering with paths, shell etc):

Code:
    bash-3.2#
    bash-3.2# /opt/etc/init.d/S88cups start
    Using /opt/lib/modules/printer.o
    insmod: ELF file not for this architecture
    insmod: Could not load the module: Success
    bash-3.2#
    bash-3.2#
    which begs the question: if this isn't the correct printer.o file...where do i get the correct one??

anyways, this is as far as i can get at the moment: not got the web admin on port 631 going or anything - as far as i can tell, 'ps' doesn't list cupsd so i assume it runs this far and stops.

time to hit google...

Progres...I can get CUPS up and running if I downgrade to version 1.2.12-2 out of the normal optware path - version 1.3 onwards doesn't work...

I can now get the web admin; see the above wiki link (previous post) to add the SSL certificate if you get 403 forbidden when trying to access.

Remaining Question: What's with the printer.o issue listed previously? Haven't fixed that one yet...

Next: get that printer.o sorted, get samba printing up and running, and getting a test page out!!

I think your problem is in your printers.conf
    printer.o seems to be ( as far as i remember for parport printing ) this module is not present on your router

you need to set your device to /dev/usb/lp0
    here is my printers.conf which worked until i switched to a real network printer

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.2.7
    # Written by cupsd on 2007-05-31 07:39
    <DefaultPrinter EPSON_Stylus_COLOR_880_USB_1>
    Info EPSON Stylus COLOR 880
    Location Local Printer
    DeviceURI parallel:/dev/usb/lp0
    State Idle
    StateTime 1180589970
    Accepting Yes
    Shared Yes
    JobSheets none none
    QuotaPeriod 0
    PageLimit 0
    KLimit 0
    OpPolicy default
    ErrorPolicy stop-printer
    </Printer>

hmmm. I've put in your exact printers.conf (my printers an epson stylus 760, so an 880 should be close enough but still get the error on printer.o when running S88cups...(the script itself does the insmod)

doing an '/opt/sbin/lpc status' only shows the printer name, no other information, so i'm assuming its not working properly yet...i've got all the samba side of things to do yet for my PC, let alone getting OSX to play nice!

as an aside: do i have to kill of printd or does cups work quite happily alongside it? and is there anything else that i need to know before it'll all work?

many thanks for the help thus far...

try starting cupsd from the commandline as first test.
    if this succeds you should add this to your rc.local
    I had only a entry like /opt/sbin/cupsd in my rc.local and no S*cups. these scripts are original for *wrt like firmwares which have a different startup-scheme (more sys-v like) so you have a S##cups and K##cups.
    the S script runs on startup ( if there are more than one they are started in order of their number ## ) the K script is to kill the process on shutdown or change of runlevel. The asus uses a much more "simpler" approach triggered by a few nested rc scripts. I think the *wrt routers need printer.o but your asus won't. You still nee to install drivers on your clients, because this is a raw printer. Everything is going directly to your printing device. ther is no ghostscript or anything else like this.
    I add the cupsd.conf i used so you can take a look.
    Encription was not used, because i limited the cupsd to my local network and two VPNs

Code:
    ServerName wlbox.local
    FileDevice No
    # Show general information in error_log.
    LogLevel info
    AutoPurgeJobs Yes
    Printcap /opt/etc/printcap
    ServerCertificate /opt/etc/cups/ssl/server.crt
    ServerKey /opt/etc/cups/ssl/server.key
    User cups
    Group root
    # Allow remote access
    Port 631
    BrowseProtocols all
    BrowseShortNames Yes
    # Disable printer sharing and shared printers.
    Browsing On
    Encryption Never
    SystemGroup trusheim
    <Location />
      Encryption Never
      # Allow remote administration...
      Order allow,deny
      Allow @LOCAL
    </Location>
    <Location /classes>
      Allow From 192.168.0.0/24
      Allow From 192.168.222.0/26
      Allow From 192.168.222.64/26
      Encryption Never
    </Location>
    <Location /classes/name>
      Encryption Never
    </Location>
    <Location /jobs>
      Encryption Never
    </Location>
    <Location /printers>
      AuthType None
      Order Deny,Allow
      Deny From None
      Allow From All
      Encryption Never
    </Location>
    <Location /printers/name>
      AuthType None
      Encryption Never
    </Location>
    <Location /admin>
      AuthType Basic
      AuthClass System
      Encryption Never
      # Allow remote administration...
      Order allow,deny
      Allow @LOCAL
    </Location>
    # Allow remote access to the configuration files...
    <Location /admin/conf>
      AuthType Basic
      Require user @SYSTEM
      Order allow,deny
      Allow @LOCAL
    </Location>
    <Policy default>
      # Job-related operations must be done by the owner or an adminstrator...
      <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription 
    Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
        Order deny,allow
      </Limit>
      # All administration operations require an adminstrator to authenticate...
      <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs 
    Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After 
    CUPS-Add-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs CUPS-Set-Default CUPS-Add-Device C
    UPS-Delete-Device>
        AuthType Basic
        Require user @SYSTEM
        Order deny,allow
    </Limit>
      <Limit All>
      Order deny,allow
      </Limit>
    </Policy>

excellent...i was wondering if that was the case (i.e. no need for printer.o) before went to get some sleep. looking at the script for S*cups it just tries to load the printer.o module and the runs cupsd anyways, so i'll just scrap all that and go with 'cupsd' as you've stated. as far as i can tell, the printer.o is only really needed for auto-detecting the printer anyways: if you're manually sticking entries into printers.conf then it serves no purpose!!

sounds as if i have it running ok, just need to get the printer installed on the PC (get samba set right) and on the mac (which uses cups itself, so *should* be easier...)

will try it all tonight after work, and post results: when (not if!) its all running i'll write-up a 'how-to' for noobs like myself!

out of curiosity: do you reckon its possible to make both usb ports work as printers (i have two epsons, one photo one normal) ?

So did you find you still had to downgrade to get past the cupsddoselect() error? Also, where did you get 1.2.12-2 and how did you get ipkg to install it? I can only get it to install the latest.

excellent...i was wondering if that was the case (i.e. no need for printer.o) before went to get some sleep. looking at the script for S*cups it just tries to load the printer.o module and the runs cupsd anyways, so i'll just scrap all that and go with 'cupsd' as you've stated. as far as i can tell, the printer.o is only really needed for auto-detecting the printer anyways: if you're manually sticking entries into printers.conf then it serves no purpose!!

sounds as if i have it running ok, just need to get the printer installed on the PC (get samba set right) and on the mac (which uses cups itself, so *should* be easier...)

will try it all tonight after work, and post results: when (not if!) its all running i'll write-up a 'how-to' for noobs like myself!

out of curiosity: do you reckon its possible to make both usb ports work as printers (i have two epsons, one photo one normal) ?
    Last edited by Maccro; 04-10-2007 at 16:17.

yeh, had to downgrade for it to work properly without the cupsDoSelect() failure: i found somewhere on google that said they had a problem on a debian system with version 1.3.3-1 or some such. basically, i tried 1.2.12 (highest non 1.3 version) and it worked...versions 1.3.0-onwards don't.

to install that specific version (and this is true of any ipkg) comment out the 'src optware..' line in /opt/etc/ipkg.conf, to stop the automatic updating to latest version (comment it back in later!), then do

Code:
    ipkg remove cups
    ipkg remove cups-doc
    ipkg install http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable/cups_1.2.12-2_mipsel.ipk
    ipkg install http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable/cups-doc_1.2.12-2_mipsel.ipk
    ...worked for me anyhow. the cupsd.conf file is slightly different, so start again from the cupsd.conf.default file. will be 4 hours till i get chance to test further, but i'm hopeful it'll be working by end of today...post any info if you get any success!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast