Thread: A few questions (need ans quick)

Red face A few questions (need ans quick)

hi, just like to quickly check....

If i have a WL-500G Premium
    I'd like to know whether I can do the following
    with and/or without 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT and OpenWRT.

1)
    can I run a HTTP server, storing files on a USB external drive connected to the router, that opens public access to the world wide web? apache?
    will it be very difficult to set up?

2)
    heard there are some issues with BitTorrent downloading, like not possible to have encryption, etc etc. Is this true (for default firmware, and for 3rd party)?

3)
    What will be the bittorrent client that I can use? uTorrent, possible?

4)
    I plan to connect USB printer to the router, will it be very difficult? or will it be more or less 'plug and play'?

5)
    This router shud have to probs installing the full versions of DD-WRT right? i think its quite big...
    for this router, since I can put big USB hard drive, am I right to say that actually, no matter how big the linux firmware is, I will have no problems using them (as it fits on USB hard drive).

please help! urgent

thanks in advance!

please?

anyone can enlighten me?

thx

basically.. yes.. start reading the forums and tutorials. all the info is there.

with custom firmware you can do 'anything' you want.
    torrent/web/printer/etc.

If you have question. point them out in detail.

no need to cross-post.

okay sorry.

i just wondered if those 5 points could work well, cuz I should be getting a WL500G Premium in about 2 days, but if there's problems with bittorrent encryption (= not possible, will never work, etc) then I can quickly cancel it.

thanks.

A search responded with the following answer

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=...ent+encryption

i've never been a torrent person.. much more of a newsgroup person, So I'm not in to that..

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by raas View Post
    with custom firmware you can do 'anything' you want.
    do you say that because, it is basically like a computer running linux? can software/ applications be installed on an attached USB hard drive, instead of the few MBs of flash memory?

so basically any software that can work on linux systems can be installed on the router also?

seems real cool that way... I intend to buy one for:
    1. personal web hosting
    2. network printer
    3. run a game server (e.g. counter strike)
    4. other sorts of cool stuff...

haha

please read the forum and tutorials.

you will see that it can handle loads of things. however, not all things..
    it's not just 'putting linux on the thing'
    software (packages) need to be recompiled in order to work.

but. as i said, read the forum
    (you really have to do this, because you don't know how to set it up)

That's the last thing I'm going to say about this.

If you have detailed questions. you are always welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by hweiee View Post
    1. personal web hosting
    2. network printer
    3. run a game server (e.g. counter strike)
    4. other sorts of cool stuff...
    Remember that the router is a limited piece of hardware with regard to speed and memory. So running a game server will be tough (correct me if I'm wrong). Networkprinting shouldn't be a problem (available in default firmware if I'm not mistaken). Webhosting should work but depends very much on what you want in terms of content and number of concurrent connections etc etc.
    Other cool stuff? Like running a newsgroup downloader (hi, Raas ) or music/video server: search the forum, there's tons of info and helpfull members.

Smile

ok. I was just trying to get the big picture of the possibilities, like whether there are existing ways to do it or not. from the replies, it should fit my purpose. I just thinking of running a simple web server to put my website or host files. Hmm, game server would be a challenge then... haha. But from what I gather... OpenWRT and Oleg and etc have support for me to install additional program packages.. well but I don't even know linux now... so got alot to learn before I can make my own stuff. :-)

Well then, i will most likely be getting the router, looks really promising with the extensibility of it....
    when I have it, then i'll look into the nitty gritty details on the 'how' to do those stuff.

thanks alot for your help!

Exclamation USB speed bottleneck ??

oh and one more thing.

i read from a x-bit labs dot com review that the USB speed is only about 1.8MB/second?
    they claimed its a 'hardware' bottleneck...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/oth..._12.html#sect0

so meaning that there is now way (with 3rd party firmwares/etc) to get 'real' USB 2.0 speed? 1.8MB/second is slow right...? won't be enuff to do the stuff I mentioned in my earlier posts?

anyone here using a USB 2.0 hard drive connection to the router?

Quote Originally Posted by hweiee View Post
    1.8MB/second is slow right...? won't be enuff to do the stuff I mentioned in my earlier posts?

anyone here using a USB 2.0 hard drive connection to the router?
    Actually 1,8 MB is quite a lot for all of the tasks you wanna do. For the Webserver for example, i dont think you got an Inet connection faster than thet.
    Anyway the speed on my Asus WL-500gp is around 3 - 4MB MB/s, i am quite happy with that, direct video streaming is no problem with this.
    Just if I wanna store huge amounts of files I just connect the harddrive to my main pc.

Hope i could help

oh.. ok i see... then it is alright.

by the way,
    referring to an earlier post by Jeroen van Omme

what is 'newsgroups' downloader? what is it that ppl download? news?

sorry if it is trivial qn.. i seem to hear of it before, but not very clear what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by thejew View Post
    Actually 1,8 MB is quite a lot for all of the tasks you wanna do. For the Webserver for example, i dont think you got an Inet connection faster than thet.
    Anyway the speed on my Asus WL-500gp is around 3 - 4MB MB/s, i am quite happy with that, direct video streaming is no problem with this.
    Just if I wanna store huge amounts of files I just connect the harddrive to my main pc.

Hope i could help
    how about the WL-700gE ? It has a IDE hard drive, so does it still face the speed limitations of sub 2MB/s?

What is 'newsgroups' downloader?
    It allows you to download binairies (programs/music/video etc) from newsgroup servers.