Thread: quick Q about power supply...

Arrow quick Q about power supply...

Hi as the title suggests, I need help with a power related question..

I am planning to custom builld my ASUS WL-HDD, and as I will be using fans, I thought the idea about using an old PC power supply..

On the +5Volt connection, the PSU I would like to use provides a MAXIMUM of 22A, would this be too much for my device as i do not want it blowing up on me (but then again, it does say maximum)

And also when I can get the right connector (help here would be a huge big help!) so I can use my 400GB 3.5inch hard drive with it!

Going by my initial plans (until I can find the ideal sort of case for it) I am going to unsolder ALL of the LED's to custom ones on the front of the case, and I might even move the aerial antenna to be higher up (as the unit I am currently bodging up is a few foot tall) and would also Ideally like to move the ethernet port, but this will probably happen later on...

So I am appealing to this forum for ANY and ALL information you can provide to me as I really wanna get started!

It sounds like you will be changing your WL-HDD beyond all recognition, and I doubt that many other people (if any) have attempted what you are doing. This means you won't get many replies just because other members really don't know.

Anyway, you can't fry a unit by having a power supply that provides more current than you need. The WL-HDD will only use what it requires.
    You can fry the unit by using too large a voltage or by connecting the power rails the wrong way round.

There are a few threads in the Custom Development and Pics and Specs sections to do with adding hard discs etc.

I hope you are good with a soldering iron as this is also a quick way to break your unit.

Ade