Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Custom Firmware v1.1.2.7

For all WL-HDD users here's a custom firmware which includes:
    * telnet daemon
    * nfsv3 daemon
    * ftp daemon (replaces stupid-ftpd)
    * doesn't poll for the harddisk ãnymore each 5 seconds

Every feature of the original 1.1.2.7 firmware is in this custom version, except NTFS R/W support!

You find the 11.5Mb zip file here:
    http://website.wl500g.info/beta/firmware.php?fid=10
    (courtesy of Antiloop, thanks man )

Below you find a copy of the accompanying readme.

JockyW

Code:
    Readme.txt:
    ----------

Date: 17 Oct 2004
    Created by: JockyW

THIS STUFF IS ONLY FOR WL-HDD2.5 USERS WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!!!
    I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE

Consult the WL-HDD forum on  http://www.chupa.nl if you need support.
    (Since my time is limited I can not offer 24/7 support-:) )

What's it all about
    -------------------

This 1.1.2.7 based firmware + files which need to be installed on the built-in harddisk offers TELNET, NFSv3 (kernelspace), VSFTPD 2.0.1, Samba and HDD watchdog removed. I use this custom firmware for streaming from and to my satreceiver (Dbox2)

Prerequisites
    -------------

- An Asus WL-HDD2.5 with built-in HDD which contains a shared partition "part1" which can be accessed from your PC with RW access
    - I assume the IP of the Asus is 192.168.1.220
    - After unpacking the zip file you should have these 3 files:
    WLHDD_1.1.2.7_en.trx
    tmp.rar
    conf.tar.gz
    - you have an unrar util on your PC (I use Winrar)

How to install
    --------------

1) connect your PC by wire to the WL-HDD
    2) boot up your WL-HDD
    3) copy the files tmp.rar and conf.tar.gz to the root directory of the part1 share
    4) unrar the file tmp.rar to /tmp (be careful: the files should be in /tmp *not* in /tmp/tmp !)
    5) open the "backdoor" webpage in your browser: http://192.168.1.220/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp
    http://wl-hdd/index.asp : Admin
    6) copy the following command to the "System Command" textbox and then click the "Refresh" button:
    chmod a+x /tmp/harddisk/part1/tmp/busybox
    7) copy the following command to the "System Command" textbox and then click the "Refresh" button:
    chmod a+x /tmp/harddisk/part1/tmp/telnetd
    8) copy the following command to the "System Command" textbox and then click the "Refresh" button:
    ln -s /tmp/harddisk/part1/tmp/busybox /tmp/harddisk/part1/tmp/sh
    9) copy the following command to the "System Command" textbox and then click the "Refresh" button:
    /tmp/harddisk/part1/tmp/telnetd -d -l /tmp/harddisk/part1/tmp/sh &
    10) the previous command started the telnet daemon and now you can access it from your PC with: telnet 192.168.1.220
    11) on the prompt type:
    cd /tmp/harddisk/part1
    12) enter the command:
    tmp/busybox tar xzvf conf.tar.gz
    13) all necessary files are now installed on the harddisk and now you flash the new firmware WLHDD_1.1.2.7_en.trx on your WL-HDD
    14) wait until flashing is done and until the Asus has rebooted itself
    15) congratulations! you (hopefully) made it :D

How to use
    ----------

1) you can now telnet directly into your Asus with: telnet 192.168.1.220
    2) same for ftp (ftp 192.168.1.220): username = admin , password = admin
    3) to use NFS you have to edit the file "exports" which you can do with a Unix compatible texteditor such as ultraedit on Windowz. You find it in the directory /conf/etc on the "part1" share. The absolute pathname is /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/etc/exports

What's to come
    --------------

Eventually a full blown Linux distribution with interesting apps which still can perform in the 16MB ram of the WL-HDD.
    But that only with the efforts of other more experienced Linux coders.

My next version will be based on the now available 1.1.2.8

Credits
    -------

Without the help of Oleg and Antiloop of www.chupa.nl things would have taken much longer.
    Greetings to petgun and rubberdick who tested the NFS with their dbox satreceivers.

Enjoy!
    JockyW
    Last edited by Antiloop; 08-08-2005 at 10:45.

What is that new FTP daemon able to do? Is it better then stupid-ftp?

it's not that stupid as stupid-ftpd

You can up and dl trees, define users, chmod, optional pam security etc. It's also faster. See http://vsftpd.beasts.org/ for more info

JockyW, do you've any thoughts regarding unified firmware sources? Check this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    JockyW, do you've any thoughts regarding unified firmware sources? Check this thread.
    Yeah, sure am interested in a unified firm. I dl your stuff and will see if I can develop a "merger". I suppose "make menuconfig" should have a target select.
    Last edited by JOCKYW2001; 18-10-2004 at 11:47.

Quote Originally Posted by JOCKYW2001
    Yeah, sure am interested in a unified firm. I dl your stuff and will see if I can develop a "merger". I suppose "make menuconfig" should have a target select.
    No, it's just have special targets in the makefile to allow mass builds.
    Wait for 1.8.1.7-2 sources, they're updated a bit.

You can up and dl trees, define users, chmod, optional pam security etc. It's also faster. See http://vsftpd.beasts.org/ for more info
    Lol, I am in the process of building my own compiler environment to get this one compiled (but I'm low on spare time lately). I'm very interested in a binary for testing on WL-500g!

If this FTP server works well, Oleg might compile it into the custom firmwares (hint, hint ).

I hope it does 'upload resume', I really need that!

Quote Originally Posted by Styno
    If this FTP server works well, Oleg might compile it into the custom firmwares (hint, hint ).
    Yes, I'm interesting in replacing stupid-ftpd and happily include vs-ftpd if it's provides fully functional replacement for stupid-ftpd in the firmware.

is it included in the firmware or in the files you have to put on the hdd?

(thus how big is it??)

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

In the files for the hdd.
    I just mailed this to Styno:

--------------------
    It's contained in the file conf.tar.gz which sits in the 11.5Mb .zip which you can download from the thread. But there are a couple of prerequisites:
    1. you need a /etc/passwd and /etc/group
    2. you need the libs where vsftpd dynamically links with (libc.so, and the libnss_files)
    3. you need the file /etc/vsftpd.conf

All this stuff is in conf.tar.gz which I suggest you untar on a usb memstick or usb hdd.

Then open a telnet session and export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=...../conf/usr/lib ,fill in the dots!)

Then change to ..../conf/bin and start vsftpd by:
    ./vsftpd &

My passwd and group files contain a user admin with passw admin who is a superuser with homedir /tmp/harddisk (you probably need to change that too). You should also take a look at /etc/vsftpd.conf and suit it to your needs.
    ------------------------

Unhappy

how to add a new user?

I can only use admin:admin now

Good question, I didn't explain it yet.

In /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/bin you find a file called busybox.new with contains unix account functions such as adduser, passwd, addgroup, etc.
    (I compiled busybox.new from the busybox 1.0.0 tarball and had to patch it a bit because STDIN doesn't work for whatever reason)

To create new users do the following:
    0. open telnet session
    1. export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/usr/lib
    2. cd /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/bin
    3. ./busybox.new (this shows all available functions)
    4. ./busybox.new adduser -h /tmp/harddisk -s /bin/sh john (this adds user john)
    5. ./busybox.new passwd john
    6. ./busybox.new vi /etc/passwd (edit the passwd file and set for example gui to 0)

You can check it with:
    more /etc/passwd
    which shows a line like this:
    john:$1$$f3u7Mm0KiM3Gt.egss/KI.:500:0:Linux User,,,:/tmp/harddisk:/bin/sh

Now use a ftp client and test your new account. Should work

Have fun,
    JockyW

Last edited by Whissi; 28-12-2006 at 23:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Whissi
    After I flashed, the power-led is blinking. The Disk-Status is "File system inconsistence". I try'ed a filecheck - nothing changed.
    Your disk is fine. I removed some Asus specific code from the "watchdog" loop. That code checks each ~5 seconds if the HDD is present by creating a directory, checking if it's there and then removing it again. By removing that piece of code the Asus now permanently believes that the filesystem is inconsistent and that is indicated by a flashing powerled and in the webinterface. Ignore it for now, I will fix that in the next custom firm version. Another symptom is that the Asus can not be brought down anymore by pressing the button.

How do I have to cónfigure nfs to work with my dbox2?
    The only thing is to edit the file /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/etc/exports. There you indicate which directories you wish to share to one or more PCs.
    You can do that with the vi editor which is part of the busybox and busybox.new in /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/bin or with a unix friendly editor such as ultraedit. In case you like to use vi you open a telnet session and type:
    /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/bin/busybox vi /tmp/harddisk/part1/conf/etc/exports

In case you use ultraedit you must share part1 (rw) via the webinterface.

JockyW

Last edited by Whissi; 28-12-2006 at 23:55.