Thread: HOW TO: Backup you WL-HDD hard drive

Lightbulb HOW TO: Backup you WL-HDD hard drive

HOW TO: Backup you WL-HDD hard drive

Hi, I am not sure if anyone has covered this yet, or even have thought how to do this, but I thought I would post anyway.
    This is an ideal way to backup the SAMBA bits & bobs you have installed, as well as your own files you have on it.

1) login to your device using your normal login name & password, and make sure your hd mounts, mine auto mounts to the /opt as followed by the Wiki guide.

2) nano /opt/etc/samba/smb.conf to edit the file, and paste the following lines(please substitute my configuration to match your own) :

[wholedrive]
    path=/opt/
    writable = yes
    browseable = yes

this will share the root and you will be able to access your WHOLE drive through windows. now save this and exit nano.

3) After you have saved & exited from nano, type the following:
    chmod o+rw /opt/
    which will give you browse & write privillages.

4) Goto your start menu and chose "Run"

In the box, type the IP address of your ASUS, mine is 192.168.1.100 (again, please substitute this for your own settings)

5) In the new window, right-click the wholedrive folder and select "Map Network Drive..."

6) Now in the new window that has come up, select an unused drive letter, and now when you open up "My Computer" you will see that "wholedrive" is there.

7) Use your prefered backup program to back it up and keep the backup safe!!

This is my first ever how to, I have just succeded to backup the whole contents of my WL-HDD, so I thought I would share it with you all!

I would be happy if you could post your feedback, be it good or bad!

Take care now all

Have you checked if linux/unix file and folder permissions are kept when saving the files under windows? I think of permisions like +x get removed.