Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get IDE working on Oleg's Firmware

With your source it compile ok, but I get a file a tad too big (3842048 bytes). Of course, after flashing, I get a wl hdd in recovery mode.

What would be my best option to reduce a little bit the size to something the wl hdd would accept?

Quote Originally Posted by hugo
    With your source it compile ok, but I get a file a tad too big (3842048 bytes). Of course, after flashing, I get a wl hdd in recovery mode.

What would be my best option to reduce a little bit the size to something the wl hdd would accept?
    Disable ide stuff which is not used (like tapes, floppies, etc) in the kernel config.

Your trx should not exceed 3801088 bytes.

Or drop some application modules from the flash. Build them separately and install them on the hdd. You can start them automatically by adding some startup code in services.c

ok I think i've been as far as I can go for now:

I have been able to create a working firmware, and it started correctly.

I have not disabled anything, except NTFS support (not need for my disk ATM) and webcam drivers.

The wl hdd boot correctly, and work correctly, but a lsmod doesn't show my ide, as planned. If I go to the /lib.....2.40.../ide folder and try an insmod ide-mod.o, the router automaticaly reboot.

I don't want to run it automaticaly as it will probably put the router in an infinite reboot loop.

Problem is that I cannot get any error message due to the reboot.

Any idea?

I got better: Using the ide-mod.o and ide-disk.o from the compiled hdd firmware, I can insmod.

I still cannot do an insmod ide-probe-mod.o as I get the HDD light always on, and the wlhdd hang from that.

I don't know if the first 2 mods are enough to get access to hdd. I think I have to try a makedevs? but I cannot find the syntax for the command. Is there a way to see if I have access to hd if I don't have any /dev/hdxx ?

EDIt: I can make the devs, but it's not enough

If I insmod the compiled ide-probe-mod.o, i get the error "segmentation fault", probably because they haven't been compiled at the same time. I have this module marked as loading if I lsmod.

Here are some other result:

Code:
    [admin@(none) ide]$ cat drivers
    ide-disk version 1.12
    [admin@(none) ide]$ cat pdc202xx

PROMISE Ultra series driver Ver 1.20.0.7 2002-05-23 Adapter: Ultra100 on M/B
    --------------- Primary Channel ---------------- Secondary Channel -------------
                    enabled                          enabled
    66 Clocking     disabled                         disabled
    Mode            PCI                              PCI
    --------------- drive0 --------- drive1 -------- drive0 ---------- drive1 ------
    DMA enabled:    no               no              no                no
    UDMA Mode:      0                0               0                 0
    PIO Mode:       0                0               0                 0
    I have also a ide device in my dev folder but nothing else
    Last edited by hugo; 24-10-2004 at 21:47.

Check /proc/partitions content.

nope, I only get my USB pendrive.

What I do not understand is why the modules from the wlhdd firmware do work, and not the one from the wl500g. Looking at the source, there is no difference between the ide folder from hdd kernel and the one from wl500. What other file could then be involved in the making of ide-mod.o or ide-probe-mod.o?

I also tried ALL non network related lines from the wlhdd .config file. Same result. I don't know where it could be a difference now between the 2 kernels.

Could somebody give me some help on where to look to find how to make the ide work?

Here are some questions:

does the ide support depend on something outside the kernel folder?

Does it depend on any other file than .config , if the source are the same?

If the /driver/ide folder is the same, can there be a difference in the compilation options that would make it work?

Also, I would like to understand why an ide-mod.o from wl hdd firmware can install under oleg's firmware modification, but not the one from the normal make process (ie from oleg's make)

Is anybody working on the same thing than me right now so we could share some info?

Thanks for any help.

Could somebody give me some help on where to look to find how to make the ide work?

Here are some questions:

does the ide support depend on something outside the kernel folder?

Does it depend on any other file than .config , if the source are the same?

If the /driver/ide folder is the same, can there be a difference in the compilation options that would make it work?

Also, I would like to understand why an ide-mod.o from wl hdd firmware can install under oleg's firmware modification, but not the one from the normal make process (ie from oleg's make)

Is anybody working on the same thing than me right now so we could share some info?

Thanks for any help.

Oleg is trying to implement the ide stuff, but at this time my wl-hdd hangs everytime at insmodding ide-mod.o

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    Oleg is trying to implement the ide stuff, but at this time my wl-hdd hangs everytime at insmodding ide-mod.o
    I've been further than the ide-mod.o by using the one from the wl hdd firmware copied on a USB pendrive. Don't know if it can help?

I've been further than the ide-mod.o by using the one from the wl hdd firmware copied on a USB pendrive. Don't know if it can help?
    I got unresolved symbol shit when trying that (few weeks ago that is at 1.8.1.7-1 custom)

but it's not really an option to do it like that IMO

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    I got unresolved symbol shit when trying that (few weeks ago that is at 1.8.1.7-1 custom)

but it's not really an option to do it like that IMO
    Sorry, I have'nt been clear enough. I've been trying to create a new kernel using all the IDE parts from the .config of wl hdd, and all other parts from wl500g modified by oleg. The final result was a working wl500g, with no ide support. insmod ide-mod.o would hang the router, but using the one from the wl hdd stock firmware is ok. It is hanging on another insmod (ide-probe-mod.o)

Yes, I've no idea what happens, cause I'm debugging my code remotely (thanks to Antiloop)...
    I can probably prepare firmware with netconsole support which can unveil the things.
    The basic firmware for the WLHDD (including all the stuff from wl500gx, including afterburner, is mostly ready - thanks for Antiloop for digging with web pages), and it's already seems to work (except hotplug?).
    So, the main problem is ide for now... Seems kernel panics at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    Yes, I've no idea what happens, cause I'm debugging my code remotely (thanks to Antiloop)...
    I can probably prepare firmware with netconsole support which can unveil the things.
    The basic firmware for the WLHDD (including all the stuff from wl500gx, including afterburner, is mostly ready - thanks for Antiloop for digging with web pages), and it's already seems to work (except hotplug?).
    So, the main problem is ide for now... Seems kernel panics at some point.

Hotplug always had problem for me: I usually have to mount my external usb devices by hand when it should be automaticaly monted, even if they are plugged at boot time.

For the kernel panic, I'm sure there is something changed in the code in wlhdd that does make it work. The fact it does hang at ide probe is probably a hidden patch in the kernel that avoid this in asus firmware.

I'm trying to file compare both linux subfolders to try to get something, and also to use wl hdd .config file on your version but it doesn't boot up.

I'm going to wait for your work and maybe help to find the cause of the kernel panic?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast