View Poll Results: What are your radio settings on the WL-500G?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • 19 (standard)

23 47.92%

3 6.25%

3 6.25%

3 6.25%

0 0%

3 6.25%

1 2.08%
  • 84 (max)

12 25.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Radio Power settings

Quote Originally Posted by Oleg
    So, both firmwares are limited, right? And there is no difference in the signal strength?

Actually, according to sources, you need just this to achieve the same:

Code:
    nvram set regulation_domain=0x00
    nvram commit
    reboot
    Ah I suspected the other settings were either informational only, or derivatives of the regulatory domain.

Correct in that by methods I have described, no further output is measurable.
    However...

I discovered a parameter which seems to control the power amp's output via some sort of feedback loop. I haven't discovered the exact nature of each parameter (they're kind of cryptic) but here it is:

wl atten 0 0 80

I have attached a stumbler (i know, kinda rough) but it shows the dramatic difference this parameter makes. I have an unrefined script I have used to try and automate the whole thing to some degree (just ignore the rate stuff). It's very unfinished and I wish I knew more to refine it but time may permit..

It's only taken me 16 hours straight to get this far, how hard can it be?

(Please be responsible with this set of commands, they're not the sort of thing that would suit use in a city or hi-density residential. Get a better antenna first.) I hope this doesn't trigger broadcom to lock their drivers down even further - do you think this may happen? I hate to say it but if so it may be prudent to censor the info from the public web. Let me know what you think.

cheers

UBER SCRIPT

nvram unset wl0_country_code
    nvram wl0_country_code=ALL
    nvram unset wl_country_code
    nvram wl_country_code=ALL
    nvram unset wl_country=
    nvram unset wl0_country=
    nvram unset regulation_domain
    nvram regulation_domain=0x0
    nvram unset wl0_radio_power_x
    nvram wl0_radio_power_x=80
    nvram unset wl_radio_power_x
    nvram wl_radio_power_x=80
    nvram unset log_level
    nvram log_level=1
    nvram unset console_loglevel
    nvram console_loglevel=1

wl txant 0
    wl antdiv 0
    wl txpwr1 20
    wl atten 0 0 80 UPDATE: MAX VALUE 60 for 11G!!
    wl lrl 255 UPDATE: MAX VALUE 16!!
    wl srl 255 UPDATE: MAX VALUE 16!!
    wl interference 0
    wl suprates 2
    wl rateset 2b
    wl rate 2
    wl mrate 2
    wl bg_rate 2
    wl bg_mrate 2

EDIT:
    The txpwr1 command has absolutely no effect afaik. no dbm change in output.
    Also the rubbish about burning out cards with higher output power is nonsense. I just had the lid off the RF section and felt the BCM2050 chip. Warm, nothing unusual after 30 mins of max pwr operation at full 54mbps transmit duty cycle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by -=thrasher=-; 08-02-2005 at 19:57.

Conclusion

So can me somebody tell it more "understandly"

which commands set the higher power?

wl txpwr, wl txpwr1, wl txpwr -o seems doesn't work

wl atten is the trick?
    Pipos (2xWL-500g, WDS-only mode, used as backbone for MAN network; 1xWL-500g in Client Mode with NAT)

I'm lost

Does this mean that changing the TX power on the web interface is useless and that you need to go into the system to actually change the power?

Quote Originally Posted by Feico de Boer
    Does this mean that changing the TX power on the web interface is useless and that you need to go into the system to actually change the power?
    That's what it means.
    The web interface's power field is completely ineffectual. As is "wl txpwr", "wl txpwr1". Using "wl atten" you may effect increases in output power, however you may need to set txpwr1 first. "atten" seems to be an automatic governor of some sort.

However increasing output power is not a panacea or universal solution for all problems. It can bring a marginal link up to an average link. Used inappropriately, it can cause more problems than it solves.

There is a way to increase the final tx power using the relevant parts of the script I posted, but it must be done from a terminal (shell) and must have its parameters tuned for the application.

Did someone manage to somehow increase the wireless connection reliability whith that ? I've done the suggested commands (wl atten ...) but did not notice any improvement in the wireless stability... the output power does not seem to be affected at all ... netstumbler reports a constant -70dB (wifi client sitting less than 10 m away from the router)

Is it really the way to go ? Might be than some previous command are required. I'm using fw 1.9.2.7 CR3c.

Quote Originally Posted by -=thrasher=-
    The web interface's power field is completely ineffectual. As is "wl txpwr", "wl txpwr1". Using "wl atten" you may effect increases in output power, however you may need to set txpwr1 first. "atten" seems to be an automatic governor of some sort.

However increasing output power is not a panacea or universal solution for all problems. It can bring a marginal link up to an average link. Used inappropriately, it can cause more problems than it solves.
    My experience shows that txpwr1 has effect as long as the atten is set to auto: On my wl500gx it may be used to set a tx power between 1mW and 19mW (but not above). As soon as the atten is set to a fixed value, it seems indeed ineffective.

For me, raising the output power did just what thrasher stated: it added a little extra in reliability and signal strength but didn't extend the range for more than a couple of metres. Besides... setting the txant and antdiv did some of the trick.

That sort of raises the question: Any recommendations for a good antenna? ^^

Srom limit

Hi

wl atten 0 0 79 increases power only a little more.
    what is about values listed via wl txpower?

CCK Power Boost: On
    Srom limit B/G - CCK: 13.25 dB
    Srom limit G - OFDM: 13.25 dB
    Srom antgain B/G: 2.00 dB

where i can change it?
    Is there a key to increase output power?

(fw 1.9.2.7-4)
    Pipos (2xWL-500g, WDS-only mode, used as backbone for MAN network; 1xWL-500g in Client Mode with NAT)

Lightbulb

Hi.

Have you notice that with wl atten 0 0 120 you will get more txpower? >120> will give lower txpwr.
    Can anyone else confirm this?

Regards,

João Seabra

9. Code:
    nvram set regulation_domain=0x00ALL
    nvram commit
    reboot
    Great info Oleg!!!

Before executing the above i didn't have the option to change the power. After executing the above commands and setting 84mW in the web config I gained 8 dBm signal. My laptop is seated 2 floors above my router.

Before: Link Quality=68/100 Signal level=-59 dBm Noise level=-80 dBm
    After: Link Quality=78/100 Signal level=-51 dBm Noise level=-78 dBm

So it works pretty good

The effective use (with WL-500gP) of txPwr is:
    "wl -i eth1 txpwr 66" (without the quotes ofcourse )

eth1 is wireless.

Can anyone explain?

Quote Originally Posted by strips
    Code:
    nvram set regulation_domain=0x00ALL
    nvram commit
    reboot
    Great info Oleg!!!

Before executing the above i didn't have the option to change the power. After executing the above commands and setting 84mW in the web config I gained 8 dBm signal. My laptop is seated 2 floors above my router.

Before: Link Quality=68/100 Signal level=-59 dBm Noise level=-80 dBm
    After: Link Quality=78/100 Signal level=-51 dBm Noise level=-78 dBm

So it works pretty good

After the code this is what the "wl txpwr1" command gives me:

"TxPower is 127 qdbm, 31.75 dbm, 1496 mW Override is Off"

And the country is set to GB (used to be Germany)??????????????

Seems nice, but is it?
    Last edited by EddieZ; 08-08-2006 at 14:22.

I'm maxed out on 1400 Mw, corrected that is about 127 Mw I guess (thats what txpwr & txpwr1 tell me). Got the full 31 dB.

Don't know if that's the real power, but it connects me great to my mediaplayer (one floor and a wall in between) with 93%

Confused

Hi all,

i noticed that it is possible to increase the output of the german Version of the WL500g from 100mW to 1000mw just with the firmware.

I think that this thread should be the explanation for it but i still dont understand it quite now.

Can anyone explain step by step what to do to increase the output power?

Thanks

Thomas

Me Again

Hi,

no Answer untill yet!

Nobody there to tell a WL Noob how to make it?

Do i need a Terminal Software to give the commands or can it be done with the command console (cmd) in WinXP?

Thanks

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkin View Post
    Nobody there to tell a WL Noob how to make it?

Do i need a Terminal Software to give the commands or can it be done with the command console (cmd) in WinXP?
    Sure, If you are using Oleg's firmware, from PC command prompt type
    telnet <ip-address-of-your-Asus>
    You should know first your admin password (default is admin)
    Don't forget to commit any changes to flash

If you are not using Oleg's firmware you may be able to hack it through the backdoor
    Last edited by WVR; 11-09-2006 at 16:39.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast