Thread: [WDS] Wired ip from dhcp ok, Wireless no ip from dhcp [Wireless-bridge 2 network]

[WDS] Wired ip from dhcp ok, Wireless no ip from dhcp [Wireless-bridge 2 network]

First a diagram:

Hope the diagram explains the situation. If not, tell me.

The problem:
    I am trying for 2 days now, but i cant get it work what i want.

1. The pc's directly conntected to my Router utp ports work great. (i can internet from there)

2. The pc from my neighbour connected via a wireless bridge into the accespoint, with a wire (See diagram) works great. (i can internet from there, wireless bridge is working)

3. But there is one thing that doesnt work. My laptop can connect to the gateway and to the accespoint (at my neighbours), but doesnt get an ip from the dhcp server. When i connect my laptop with a wire on the accespoint everything works. (like internet)

4. The only way i discovered to work wireless on the laptop with internet:

First connect through a wire. (internet works) Pull the wire out of the laptop. Then make a wireless connection. (internet still works then). If I release and renew my ip adres then (manually) dhcp wont give me a new one and i get a local for ex. 169.124.342.2 one. Beginning with step: first connect trough wire wont work then anymore.

Is it something with my Routing table?

Code:
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 LAN
    84.104.63.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 WAN
    default         84.104.63.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 WAN
    Hope u people are willing to help me and understand what am writing, cause english is not my best language (I am dutch)

My guess would be that some setting on the laptop is causing your problem (DHCP swithced off or something like that)

Assigning a free static IP to your laptop (for WL103b) should normally solve your problem.
    Brubber

WL-500g, WL-138g, WL-160g

Quote Originally Posted by brubber
    My guess would be that some setting on the laptop is causing your problem (DHCP swithced off or something like that)

Assigning a free static IP to your laptop (for WL103b) should normally solve your problem.
    Thanx for replying. Well but this is strange, in this situation it will work:

4. The only way i discovered to work wireless on the laptop with internet:

First connect through a wire. (internet works) Pull the wire out of the laptop. Then make a wireless connection. (internet still works then). If I release and renew my ip adres then (manually) dhcp wont give me a new one and i get a local for ex. 169.124.342.2 one. Beginning with step: first connect trough wire wont work then anymore.
    I will try it with my own laptop. This ones is from my boss, he is on vacation My laptop is at my sisters house. I will try with that laptop too and write the results here. Friday i have my laptop back.

If someone knows more, tips, solutions about this problem. Feel free

b.t.w.: I am thinking of writing a nice tutorial for bridging wireless networks specific for the asus wl500g. MAybe its an idea to create one for the other users with simular problems etc.
    Last edited by Stevio; 17-10-2004 at 14:13.

This may also solve your problem

In Wxp system configuration; services change Wireless Zero Configuration service from automatic to disabled.

For more info check out one of the links below

http://www.sitecom.com/faq_showanswer.php?faqid=815 (Dutch)

http://support.microsoft.com/default...d=kb;en;313242 (English)

http://support.microsoft.com/default...d=kb;nl;313242 (Dutch)
    Brubber

WL-500g, WL-138g, WL-160g

Quote Originally Posted by brubber
    This may also solve your problem

In Wxp system configuration; services change Wireless Zero Configuration service from automatic to disabled.

For more info check out one of the links below

http://www.sitecom.com/faq_showanswer.php?faqid=815 (Dutch)

http://support.microsoft.com/default...d=kb;en;313242 (English)

http://support.microsoft.com/default...d=kb;nl;313242 (Dutch)
    Well i checked the pages and checked the laptop. While having a wireless connection, the Wireless service is disabled. (see url-documents) So the card is using his own wireless service. (the standard microsoft one is disabled. the card uses its own service, think its a ASUS wireless service)

But after checking hours to hours last night.

I think i found a solution, well it works for me.

1. I want to use the wireless connection on my laptop, this is what i do:

Disable the local lan port and enable the wireless card works for me (network places, properties)

2. I want to use the wired utp connection on my laptop (directly in the router with a wire), this is what i do:

Enable the local lan port and disable the wireless network card, this works for me.

Hope you people can use it It works for me. Thanx brubber for help me in this problem.

I have the exact same setup as you. When using wireless from my laptop I don't disable anything. But if I wire it I will disable wireless network card.

I have had no problems. But I do have the MAC adress for wlan-card on accept list of both routers. And I can only tell by signal strength and my position which router the wlan is sending to.

Some days ago I got the same kind of problem... I complained to the dealer and I dont know what he did exactly... But now it is totally fine... Better give a complaint...