Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: [HowTo] Install and configure Oleg's firmware

to wengi

thx. for your reply!

I checked the settings and it's same as you posted...
    it's strange that i could copy/delete files in the /tmp/harddisk or /torrent directories but i am unable to create any directories under root!

what should i do?

Hi dolpi,

you can't create folders in the actual root of the router because that file-system is 'read-only'.
    (you can make changes and than commit changes to the flash)
    The root is the 'actual' system which is running on the router.. oleg's firmware in this case.
    The partitions/harddisks are mounted on designated locations (like /opt, /tmp/harddisk, /mnt)

So in the most-upper-top-level () (which is root) you can not create anything, only under the mounting points.

But this is really not something you want to do. The size off the flash is that limited that you really can't store any data on it.

you can only create folders 'within' the mounting points.

Let's assume you have your 'packages' partition mounted on /opt, then you only will be able to create a folder within /opt. Not in / (root)
    let's also assume you have your 'data' partition mounted on /tmp/harddisk (or /mnt), then you only will be ablt to create a folder within /tmp/harddisk (or /mnt). Not in / (root)

Test if you can make a folder 'test' in /opt, and test if you can make a folder in your data partition.

Also,
    take a look at the output of the 'mount' and 'df' command, this should tell you how your harddisks are actually mounted (and in which location), and how they are mounted (read, read/write)

HTH
    Last edited by raas; 27-02-2008 at 12:56.

Dear Wengi,
    I managed to set up my router according to your protocol, everything works great. I can use my usb harddisk as a network drive, and can download torrents. However, I have the impression that watchdog is not run periodically by cron. I have set it up according to your protocol, but still completed torrents are not moved to the target directory and set to seed. This only happens after I press the watchdog button in the transmission webpage. Is there a way to check if cron works as it supposed to? I can see cron in the process list (ps), and the watchdog command is inserted in the crontab file. Did I forget something?
    Thanks for your efforts, you've made a great manual!
    Best regards,
    Ecori

Smile

Nice tutorial. Everything works on my WL500G :

Telnet
    SSH
    IPKG
    Mc
    Transmission
    SAMBA2 (plz don't forget your firewall settings at you pc when looking at samba server)
    LYNX

Wengi can I donate on a paypal of yours?

Greetz Stefan

Hi all,

@ecori
    watchdog is normaly running every full hour. You can run watchdog manually for testing or change it to run every 30 minutes.
    So if your torrent finishes (e.g. at 13:01)it can take up to 59 minutes for watchdog to run (14:00). Be patient
    There is nothing forgotten on this part.

@stefantriep
    Nice to know it was hepfull. No, there is no paypal and i do not want any donations. This is fun for me and it should be fun for you If you want to donate: Donate your new knowledge to the newbies that will come

wengi
    Übersicht aller HowTos --- HowTo Overview (mostly german)
    WL-HDD mit diesem Setup. --- WL-HDD with this setup.
    Kein Support per PM - Frage im jeweiligen Thread! --- No support via pm - ask in the according thread!
    Eine wirklich gute Idee erkennt man daran, dass ihre Verwirklichung von vorne herein ausgeschlossen erscheint. (Albert Einstein)

Red face

Dear Wengi,
    This is sure fun making programming the router in such a way that it performs super. Still my transmission watchdog is not running as it supposed to. After the download has finished it ends in "status unkown" (if I have the correct text, at the moment I don't have a finished download to check), even if this occurs in the middle of the night. If I then push the watchdog button, the status changes in seeding (and the files are moved to the target folder). I interpret this that the watchdog has not checked every 30 minutes if the status of the torrent has changed, like download completed. It only changes if I actively run watchdog by clicking the button. THe command in the cron script is " */30 * * * * admin nice transmission_watchdog", does this not mean that the script should run every half hour? What does the command nice do?
    Thx for your help,
    Regards,
    Ecori

Hi,

is cron running?
    paste the result of "ps" and "ps axf".

wengi

PS:
    [admin@blechbuechse root]$ nice --help
    Usage: nice [OPTION] [COMMAND [ARG]...]
    Run COMMAND with an adjusted niceness, which affects process scheduling.
    With no COMMAND, print the current niceness. Nicenesses range from
    -20 (most favorable scheduling) to 19 (least favorable).

-n, --adjustment=N add integer N to the niceness (default 10)
    --help display this help and exit
    --version output version information and exit

NOTE: your shell may have its own version of nice, which usually supersedes
    the version described here. Please refer to your shell's documentation
    for details about the options it supports.

Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>.
    Kein Support per PM - Frage im jeweiligen Thread! --- No support via pm - ask in the according thread!
    Eine wirklich gute Idee erkennt man daran, dass ihre Verwirklichung von vorne herein ausgeschlossen erscheint. (Albert Einstein)

io am un router asuswl 500w http://emag.ro/routere_wireless/rout...500w--pWL-500W acum ruleaza cu firmware ii merge shi wireless ul inclusiv hdd ul extern merge download master dar numa ca merge cam greoi.... problema mea e ca vreau sa bag alt firmware cum ar fii dd wrt sau open wrt vreau sa instalez shi functiile
    -server web cu php
    -server mysql
    -server email
    -mediaserver
    dar nu stiu ce anume sa pun dd wrt sau open wrt nici cum sa il instalez. Daca ma poate ajuta cineva cu un sfat si cu un tutorial ii multumesc anticipat si ii las id ul meu de mess c2x07

profile and ftp

Hello wengi, thank you very much for the tutorial

Only problem i have in settings my profile: only when aliases works, and it seems logical to me is tmp/local/root/.profile you specified differnt dir and then the aliases not work.

Second questions is: is there any tutorial how to setup the ftp? e.g. pure ftpd ? I installed the ipkg pure-ftpd, but it looks that in this version it is not able to jail the user in home and link the directories from part3 of my usb hdd when i log in via ftp, i can see links but there is no possibility to cd to it.

thx for your help.

Hi Wengi,
    ps axf result:
    PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
    1 ? S 0:01 /sbin/init
    2 ? S 0:00 [keventd]
    3 ? RN 2:21 [ksoftirqd_CPU0]
    4 ? S 0:13 [kswapd]
    5 ? S 0:00 [bdflush]
    6 ? S 0:00 [kupdated]
    7 ? S 0:01 [mtdblockd]
    59 ? S 0:01 telnetd
    5606 pts/0 Ss 0:00 \_ -sh
    5613 pts/0 R+ 0:00 \_ ps axf
    64 ? S 0:02 httpd vlan1
    71 ? S 0:00 [dnsmasq]
    72 ? S 0:00 klogd
    74 ? Ss 0:01 nas /tmp/nas.lan.conf /tmp/nas.lan.pid lan
    77 ? S 0:00 [khubd]
    86 ? Ss 0:00 lpd
    88 ? Ss 0:00 p9100d -f /dev/usb/lp0 0
    91 ? Ss 0:00 waveservermain
    93 ? Ss 0:00 rcamdmain
    97 ? S 1:59 [usb-storage-0]
    98 ? S 0:00 [scsi_eh_0]
    131 ? Ss 0:00 infosvr br0
    132 ? Ss 0:01 watchdog
    135 ? Ss 0:00 \_ ntp
    142 ? S 0:00 dropbear
    145 ? S 0:00 [kjournald]
    170 ? S 0:09 /sbin/syslogd -m 0 -O /opt/var/log/messages -S -l 7
    173 ? Ss 0:00 /opt/sbin/cron
    188 ? S 0:00 /usr/sbin/busybox_httpd -c /opt/etc/httpd.conf -p 800
    199 ? Ss 0:00 /opt/sbin/smbd -D
    4679 ? S 26:31 \_ /opt/sbin/smbd -D
    201 ? Ss 0:00 /opt/sbin/nmbd -D
    210 ? S 0:03 [kjournald]
    212 ? S 0:01 stupid-ftpd
    5612 ? S 0:00 \_ stupid-ftpd
    5598 ? S 0:00 upnp -D -L br0 -W vlan1

Does this mean cron is running?
    Thx,
    Ecori

@ecori
    cron is working:
    Code:
    173 ? Ss 0:00 /opt/sbin/cron
    Please double check your crontab file. Also check /opt/var/log/messages for cron entries like
    Code:
    Mar  7 09:00:01 /opt/sbin/cron[235]: (admin) CMD (nice /opt/sbin/transmission_watchdog)
    @keydee
    have a look in /usr/etc/profile, which is the normal profile file. There is a line
    Code:
    [ -x /opt/etc/profile ] && . /opt/etc/profile
    which calls the /opt/etc/profile. Check if this file is executable.
    There are several ftp servers available. Test another. i could not find a conf file for pure-ftpd. use search in forum.
    @alexeo4c2x07
    ?????

wengi

wengi many thanx!!!!

could you recomend some ftp server which is easy to configure pls?

Hey KeyDee,

You could try to use vsftpd. (this is the ftp-server I use, and i'm very happy with it... delivers good speed.. almost 4 mbyte/sec in a wired-LAN environment)

http://www.macsat.com/macsat/content/view/25/29/

(I hope wengi doesn't mind me answering a question which was addressed to him)

Hi Wengi,
    I checked the log, and find no cron entries. The contents of crontab is as it supposed to be acoording to your manual:
    SHELL=/bin/sh
    PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/opt/sbin:/opt/bin
    MAILTO=""
    HOME=/
    # ---------- ---------- Default is Empty ---------- ---------- #
    */5 * * * * admin run-parts /opt/etc/cron.5mins
    0 * * * * admin run-parts /opt/etc/cron.hourly
    0 0 * * * admin run-parts /opt/etc/cron.daily
    0 0 * * 0 admin run-parts /opt/etc/cron.weekly
    0 0 1 * * admin run-parts /opt/etc/cron.monthly
    */30 * * * * admin nice /opt/sbin/transmission_watchdog
    0 0 * * * admin /opt/sbin/logrotate -f /opt/etc/logrotate.conf &>/dev/null

Could it be a path problem?
    Thanks for thinking with me, it is very helpful!

Ecori

Quote Originally Posted by wengi View Post
    @keydee
    have a look in /usr/etc/profile, which is the normal profile file. There is a line
    Code:
    [ -x /opt/etc/profile ] && . /opt/etc/profile
    which calls the /opt/etc/profile. Check if this file is executable.
    There are several ftp servers available. Test another. i could not find a conf file for pure-ftpd. use search in forum.

wengi
    checked that file, it is not executable, tried to change it but i ve got an error that the filesystem is read only, so dont know

Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast