Page 59 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: [HowTo] Install and configure Oleg's firmware

May be... you will have to test it.
    The PSUs are not the best.

wengi
    Übersicht aller HowTos --- HowTo Overview (mostly german)
    WL-HDD mit diesem Setup. --- WL-HDD with this setup.
    Kein Support per PM - Frage im jeweiligen Thread! --- No support via pm - ask in the according thread!
    Eine wirklich gute Idee erkennt man daran, dass ihre Verwirklichung von vorne herein ausgeschlossen erscheint. (Albert Einstein)

Hey Guys,

Do you know if the Olegs firmware can be put on to run on a RT-N13U?
    For the same applications as before?

As i can get one much cheaper than the N16, $50AUD compared to $150AUD

Cheers

Also does transmission or Rtorrent support Torrent Scheduling?
    Last edited by wood88; 01-09-2010 at 13:07.

Thank you wengi for an awesome how-to.

Updating firmware

Quote Originally Posted by wengi View Post
    18. Firmwareupdate
    If oleg releases a new firmware you should update:

1) In webinterface 'System Setup' -> 'Setting Management' click "HERE", to save your settings.
    2) In webinterface 'System Setup' -> 'Flashfs Management' click "HERE", to seve the flash file system.
    3) Download and extract the new firmware. You need the .trx file.
    Important: Wait for the reboot after every following step.
    4) In webinterface 'System Setup' -> 'Firmware Upgrade' select the .trx file and click 'Upload'.
    5) In webinterface 'System Setup' -> 'Setting Management' select your saved settings and click 'Upload'.
    6) In webinterface 'System Setup' -> 'Flashfs Management' select your saved flashfs and click 'Upload'.

The update is finished and all services should be accessible.
    There will be no data lost.
    Hi,

Just updated my firmware from r740 to r2174.

Are the steps 5 and 6 in the quoted part of the guide up to date? After uploading the new firmware, all my old settings are already there and the old flash filesystem is there too.
    Was my firmware update successful or not? In the webgui I can see that I'm running r2174, but why are the old settings and the old flash filesystem still there???

Mount a second USB hardisk

Hi, my router works perfectly. I'm now struggeling with the second USB hardisk. I created a parition on it with fdisk. Then I created ext3 file system on it.
    Code:
    mke2fs -j -m 0 /dev/discs/disc1/part1
    The hardisk is accessible fine at tmp/mnt/disc1_1/. I would like to have the link to the hardisk as /tmp/harddisk2 so I edited /etc/fstab in following way:
    Code:
    #device                 Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
    /dev/discs/disc0/part1  none            swap    sw              0       0
    /dev/discs/disc0/part2  /opt            ext3    rw,noatime      1       1
    /dev/discs/disc0/part3  /tmp/harddisk   ext3    rw,noatime      1       1
    /dev/discs/disc1/part1  /tmp/harddisk2   ext3    rw,noatime      1       1
    But the harddisk2 symlink is not created after reboot. If I try "mount -a" the system says that the directory "/tmp/harddisk2" does not exists. How the symlink harddisk2 would be created? What is also strange to me, that when IU delete the "/tmp/harddisk" line from fstab, the symlink for /tmp/harddisk is created anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by radim.benek View Post
    But the harddisk2 symlink is not created after reboot. If I try "mount -a" the system says that the directory "/tmp/harddisk2" does not exists. How the symlink harddisk2 would be created? What is also strange to me, that when IU delete the "/tmp/harddisk" line from fstab, the symlink for /tmp/harddisk is created anyway.
    try to create the directory before you mount with mkdir.

Also, sometimes you get warnings while the system actually mounts the harddrive correctly.

Always check with df if something is mounted

Quote Originally Posted by RDF View Post
    Hi,

Just updated my firmware from r740 to r2174.

Are the steps 5 and 6 in the quoted part of the guide up to date? After uploading the new firmware, all my old settings are already there and the old flash filesystem is there too.
    Was my firmware update successful or not? In the webgui I can see that I'm running r2174, but why are the old settings and the old flash filesystem still there???
    Hi,

sorry for being late.
    It is ok not to execute steps 5 and 6.
    You are fine if the settings are kept.

wengi
    Übersicht aller HowTos --- HowTo Overview (mostly german)
    WL-HDD mit diesem Setup. --- WL-HDD with this setup.
    Kein Support per PM - Frage im jeweiligen Thread! --- No support via pm - ask in the according thread!
    Eine wirklich gute Idee erkennt man daran, dass ihre Verwirklichung von vorne herein ausgeschlossen erscheint. (Albert Einstein)

You're the man WENGI, add-on if you please

Hello, i am just a happy user who want's to thank you. What for ? For this:

1. From the time i purchased my WL500GpV2 it worked poorely, was crashing often, i had a non working torrent client etc. About a year ago i stumbled onOleg's software an your tutorial. Installed just fine with minor errors because my Ctrl+v problems in putty, but after i discovered that i am the source of that mistakes, worked fine!
    2. It was the easiest way to install and configure oleg's firmware, an for almost a year NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM. Always working 100%.
    3. Even when i unplug my HDD the router works on internal files and acts as a router , of course without transmission an ftp support. That's fine cuz now i use the HDD only when i want to bring torrent files or share my web page because i didn't succeed to make it spin down.

Is one thing i think you can put on your tutorial (maybe it is in the replies but i do not see it): The manual start of the wireless (via EZ button ) script , i think it is verry useful because it increases the security (i use the wireless only when i want) and makes you feel that you have the full controll.
    AND How to insert a module for who needs it, from modules-1.9.2.7-10.gz file .

Overall your tutorial is great and I am an happy user wich uses oleg's tutorial over an year now ant that is because of your tutorial !

BTW: For ones that do not know: Command for SHUT DOWN (useful think) is: HALT

THANKS A LOT !
    Last edited by tmsulica; 29-11-2010 at 16:19. Reason: typing errors

I just update my firmware to 1.9.2.7-d-r2381 on a wl500gpv2.
    Then reinstall all from scratch (base on your tutorial=except samba)on a usb stick 16 Gb.
    Everything run ok.
    Just one thing.
    Transmission is not starting automatically upon a reboot.
    If i paste on putty:

chmod 755 /opt/etc/init.d/S90transmission-daemon
    /opt/etc/init.d/S90transmission-daemon start

then is starting fine.
    I double check transmission(in fact all start-up scripts) according to your tutorial and all are fine.
    Any idea?
    Thanks for your great tutorial Wengi.

mounting problem

hello!
    I cannot manage to find out where i'm wrong in mounting the partitions.
    I have a 4 Gb HD with 3 partitions (part 1 - swap, part 2 - ipkg, part 3 -data).
    The problem is that part 2 is not automatically mounting in /opt.

here is the result after a reboot:

Code:
    [root@Asus-LAN root]$ mount
    rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
    /dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
    none on /dev type devfs (rw)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
    usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
    /dev/discs/disc0/part2 on /tmp/mnt/disc0_2 type ext3 (rw,noatime)
    /dev/discs/disc0/part3 on /tmp/mnt/disc0_3 type ext3 (rw,noatime)
    /etc/fstab is empty after reboot

when I try to save pre-mount and post-mount I get "no such file or directory" but I think this is another problem.

I've done everything like in tutorial.

Thankyou for your answer in advance.

Cron and Castget

Hello wengi,

Thanks so much for this tutorial, it's helped me a lot and you're a saint for keeping the thread going and the answers coming.

I recently ran into an issue with an updated cron that I wanted to share my solution to, and I found out about an ipkg that's very helpful for torrents that people may be interested in.

First for cron; I did an ipkg update and upgrade, and cron got updated and then stopped working.

I think that the reason is that it started looking for a cron.allow or cron.deny file, and wasn't letting my admin user run the cron. To overcome this I created an empty file named cron.deny in the /opt/var/cron directory. Since the file is empty, everyone can use cron.
    Then I used the crontab function to edit the cron with
    Code:
    crontab -e
    Now cron is working again.

The second thing that might help people out or they may just be interested in is castget. it's an ipkg that reads a few rss feeds and drops torrent files on your filesystem. You can use transmissions' watch directory setting to then automatically add these files to transmission for worry free automatic torrentting.

Here's a link about it being installed on a different router

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27554

The place for the config files is hardcoded into the program, but rather than copy the files around, I used a sym link to put the files where I wanted.

So after install I editted /usr/local/sbin/post-mount:

Code:
    ln -s /opt/defaults/transmission/config/castget/.castgetrc /usr/local/root/.castgetrc
    ln -s /opt/defaults/transmission/config/castget/.castget /usr/local/root/.castget
    and then did a
    Code:
    flashfs save && flashfs commit && flashfs enable && reboot
    to save it.

Now I can just edit the file at /opt/defaults/transmission/config/castget/.castget in order to change my castget feed settings instead of adding the copying mechanism suggested in the link's instructions.

You also have to add the watch directory to the transmission config by adding this to the end of the config file:
    Code:
        "watch-dir": "/opt/defaults/transmission/config/watch",
        "watch-dir-enabled": true
    then when setting up your .castget file for rss feeds, set the spool variable to /opt/defaults/transmission/config/watch

That's about it from me, read that other link for more details, and further instructions on castget

Thanks again for all your help to everyone.
    jmchain

Hello!

All my services in /opt/etc/init.d are not auto starting.
    I configured /usr/local/sbin/post-mount as in tutorial, but I didn't had the directory /sbin in /usr/local/ so I manually created it. Is it possible to be the problem here?
    /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung is not starting automatically

thanks

LATER: both problems resolved. files in /opt/etc/init.d have to be executable, though
    Last edited by enemydr; 29-12-2010 at 13:19.

mounting usb hdd

when I try to format the second hdd as extended I get the following:
    Code:
    [root@Asus-LAN root]$ mke2fs -j -m 0 /dev/discs/disc1/part1
    mke2fs 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)

Could not set up superblock

disk 2(750 GB):
    part1 is extended partition
    part5 is logical drive

Code:
    [root@Asus-LAN root]$ fdisk -l

Disk /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc: 4009 MB, 4009754624 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 487 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1               1          63      506016  82 Linux swap
    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2              64         188     1004062+ 83 Linux
    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3             189         487     2401717+ 83 Linux

Disk /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/disc: 750.1 GB, 750127153152 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 91197 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
    /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part1               1       37349   300005811   5 Extended
    /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part5               1       37349   300005779+ 83 Linux

what problem can it be?

Later: I formated it as primary, and everything is well
    Last edited by enemydr; 01-01-2011 at 16:40. Reason: problem resolved

Transmission problem

In transmission's web interface I don't have the option "move data file".
    So if I move what I downloaded from /transmission/download the torrent isn't seeding anymore and starts downloadin again in /transmission/download.
    Is there any possibility to show the new pathway to the existing torrent?

Great tutorial, wengi. Without this tutorial I couldn't dare to install Oleg's firmware. The router is now working better, and it is great to know how much customization it takes. Many thanks

Page 59 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast