Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you add to a 1.0.7.8 firmware image

Quote Originally Posted by Woffels View Post
    I dont want to hurry you, Kfurge. But how is your planning on the new firmware you are gonna modificate. Is it years, months, weeks, days, hours minutes .....................now?!!!
    I'll probably be some number of months. My outdoor lifestyle doesn't leave much spare time during the summer and fall. However, the snow flies early where I live, so I'll be able to put much more effort into the project once winter sets in.

Upgrading the existing components should be relatively straightforward so that's where I'll concentrate first. After that, I'll probably work on making a better default command-line experience. Finally I'll work on adding more applications and features once an infrastructure is put in place.

If all goes well, I expect to be half done before the end of '07. Mostly complete before spring '08.

- K.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Woffels View Post
    The flashing is not the problem, its the the programs to install. It would be nice if we dont have to use al these linux commands. Specially for non linx users.
    This won't be possible. Linux is still Linux. If you need something not already in the firmware, you'll have to get your hands dirty. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to learn how to use ipkg.

- K.C.

Here's a list of 'wants.' Granted I've got most of these already running on 1.0.4.6 but having them from the get-go in 1.0.7.8 would be nice.

Fail2ban for disabling bruteforce attacks
    Wondershaper or equivalent QoS shaper (a functional GUI would be nice too)
    Better 'functional' media server like ushare (or mediatomb)
    built-in configs for multihoming dydns and web sites
    Better mt-daapd
    Python, Perl, PHP and MYSQL preinstalled and ready to run if activated.

Kfurge you bastard

Your giving me a reason to keep the white brick

Please consider us noobs in the process.

I just want a better BT client that's all.

Thanks
    Guru

Maybe it is possible to let more different webcams working.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Please consider us noobs in the process.
    I've been following this forum for some time now. Your requests have been echoed before, over and over. Everything proposed in this thread would be out-of-the-box software. All you'll have to do is flash it.

Now that some good solutions have surfaced over the last year, we, as a wl700g community, are in a better position to make some things more accessible and "standard" with a SW upgrade only.

- K.C.

Ok, I've been taking notes and here's what I have so far (in my order of priority):

Top priority:
    All of my patches applied (cpu load, entropy, etc.)
    HDD spin down (fixed first, then configurable)
    Workable command line environment (bash, ipkg, termcap, tz, busybox, default profiles, etc.)
    Dropbear
    CUPS to replace printd
    Updated mt-daapd
    Latest Samba
    Web server (lighttpd)
    Separate web interface for enhancements
    Replacement BT client (MLDonkey)

Good idea:

User editable FW rules
    Editable configuration of dnsmasq
    knockd
    ISO mounting
    fail2ban
    wondershaper

Not general enough (must add via ipkg):
    Mail server
    Syslog-ng
    python, perl, php, mysql
    hellanzb/nget

Don't know how to do / can't test:
    WPA security
    appletalk/netatalk

Very difficult:
    Changing default from /shares/MYVOLUME1/MSHARE1

Already there:
    Swapfile (512Meg)
    Fixed IP for a given MAC

If you don't like how I've classified a request and would like it to be reconsidered, please post a compelling argument. Maybe others will chime in and support you.

- K.C.

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    Ok, I've been taking notes and here's what I have so far...
    Only one word can fully describe my enthusiasm: woot!

Small list

My list contains the following items:
    - mldonkey
    - firefly
    - xmail
    - better printer support (cups for example)

Kfurge, I would say: let the beast go and surprise us again. It's unbelievable how devoted you are and what you deliver to this small cummunity. Thanks to you, I've had many pleasent hours with my little white brick.

Thanks,

Bart

Just some thoughts...

Mr Furge, looking at your long list...
    - updated mt-daapd

Even the current version (1634) does not solve the problem with accented characters. So I wonder which updated version you will pick. But it is still a long time till next spring, so I hope that mt-daapd will have some sort of final new release in the process.

- WPA security
    Did I miss something? What is wrong or lacking in the current Wifi security? I have enabled WPA-PSK for all my clients.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
    Even the current version (1634) does not solve the problem with accented characters. So I wonder which updated version you will pick.
    It'll be whatever's most recent, unless you have a better suggestion or replacement application. For whatever reason, Asus does not build mt-daapd from source. Instead, it's distributed in binary form. Getting it building into the project will be a little tricky, but should not be too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
    - WPA security
    Did I miss something?
    No. It was just on someone's list. It should have been classified as "Already there".

- K.C.

KFurge:

Would it perhaps be a viable option to put your work-in-progress up on some svn server (or cvs or whatever) so that others can have a look and perhaps pitch in? It does seem like a pretty big project you're taking on all by yourself.

I am a computer science graduate but don't have much specific experience doing integrating/patching work in the linux environment. Still, I'm a quick study and I consider this area a big hole in my resume, so I might be able to contribute within the time frame you sketched out above.

/LO

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    It'll be whatever's most recent, unless you have a better suggestion or replacement application. For whatever reason, Asus does not build mt-daapd from source. Instead, it's distributed in binary form. Getting it building into the project will be a little tricky, but should not be too bad.
    - K.C.
    Ok. I'm willing to help if I can. It will mean to compile mt-daapd with all options or best choices. I have seen that somewhere.
    But I like to wait for the next version. It is rather odd that after the official release of 2.4, there was no newer one for more than a year.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by AverySimonsen View Post
    Would it perhaps be a viable option to put your work-in-progress up on some svn server (or cvs or whatever) so that others can have a look and perhaps pitch in? It does seem like a pretty big project you're taking on all by yourself.
    I'd actually like to do this. I currently have 1.0.4.6 completely checked into a Perforce depot. Personally, I get very uncomfortable making significant modifications to any project without some sort of version control.

However, wrangling the Asus distribution into a form workable for checking into version control (i.e. read-only when not open for edit) turned out to be a very large task. I probably won't do that again. It's not worth the trouble. An easier route may be to "overlay" version controlled copies of any modified files over the top of an official Asus distribution.

Currently, I'm still playing around with different approaches to the problem. Like my previous work, I still don't want to deviate too much from Asus's releases. The further I deviate, the harder it is to incorporate those changes into future Asus releases. My preferred path is to add a substantial collection of optware packages to the standard build flashable image. A bolt-on web based user interface will also be enabled by default. Doing this should significantly increase the usability of the box without too many modifications to the Asus distribution.

Keep tuned to the forum. I don't want to do this alone.

- K.C.

New 1.0.7.8

Hi K.C.

Is your custom firmware available yet? Just installed ASUS 1.0.7.8 firmware and although working ok still some few issues. I wanted to load your custom FW.

As a side note you and medsource have been great in helping guy specially newbies like me to get my router loaded, greatly appreciated.

Hope your FW has most of the options thought GUI as I have very little to no experince of Linux.

Great work thanks.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast