Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you add to a 1.0.7.8 firmware image

What would you add to a 1.0.7.8 firmware image

Due to the underwhelming enhancements to the latest firmware by Asus, I'm considering adding some more "out of the box", web gui enabled, features to future custom 1.0.7.8 firmware images.

Please post your wish-list items. Be as specific as possible with what you'd like to see. The more information I have, the more likely it will be to be included. Relevant links to forum threads, web sites, examples, how-to's, etc. will be appreciated.

I have two items already.

1) Better BT support. I like this approach:

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=10041

2) Configurable HDD spin down

I'm sure there'll be much, much more.

- K.C.

First off, i would like to say that this is a great initiative! And thanks for all the work that you have already done
    with Asus bug filled software!

Now i don't know if this is possible, but i guess it doesn't hurt to ask. I was really hoping that Asus
    would have updated samba to a newer version, that supports Windows Vista. I have tried many of the "hacks"
    that should make it possible for Vista to commmunicate with the old samba version, with user based auth.
    My fix for now is to just use share based auth.

Is it in any way possible to replace the samba version in the firmware with a newer one, without screwing the
    webGUI up?

I guess you already though of these, since its already in your tutorial on how to install your custom
    firmware and "make a better system" :-). I know that these things don't have anything to do with the webGUI
    but i think it would be nice to have enabled and configured "out-of-the-box".

* Bash shell
    * Dropbear SSH (As described in your tutorial on installing your custom firmware)
    * Apply your CPU "eating" patch :-)

It should be said that i have no experience with anything like this, so i have no idea if my suggestions are completely out of proportions :-)
    Last edited by Henrikh; 15-08-2007 at 13:51.

Lighttpd php & Mysql would also be nice to have

maybe it can be made somehow so users can turn it on or off in the web-if,
    like in the custom oleg firmware on the wl500-series

(I'm also trying to create a custom firmware based on you're instructions, somehow I get a buch of errors compiling it so I got a lot to learn I gues)

Openwrt or Custom Firmware on asus? - http://wl700ge.hezik.nl/ - Http://wl700g.homelinux.net

My ASUS collection: WL500gp(80GB usb-hdd - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 7.09) | WL700gE(250GB - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 8.09rc1)

Quote Originally Posted by Henrikh View Post
    First off, i would like to say that this is a great initiva! And thanks for all the work that you have already done
    with Asus bugfilled software!

Now i dont know if this is possible, but i guess it dosen't hurt to ask. I was really hoping that Asus
    would have updated samba to a newer version, that supports Windows Vista. I have tried many of the "hacks"
    that should make it possible for Vista to commmunicate with the old samba version, with user based auth.
    My fix for now is to just use share based auth.

Is it in any way possible to replace the samba version in the firmware with a newer one, without screwing the
    webGUI up?
    I agree with the urgent need for the new SAMBA version. More and more users of the WL700G will be confronted with Windows Vista on new computers. It's a shame this product is not yet updated by ASUS. The WL700G is still being marketed and sold as a state of the art product. In that case you simply have to be Vista compliant !

Next to this it would be very nice to have the possibility of spinning down the HDD.

An executable

It would be nice to have a executable that does the job (upgrading firmware and install stuff). So there wont be long discussions on "how to" from linux-unexperienced users like me. I will suggest we do a donation to kfurge when all of our wl's are running like crazy.

Woffels

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    Due to the underwhelming enhancements to the latest firmware by Asus, I'm considering adding some more "out of the box", web gui enabled, features to future custom 1.0.7.8 firmware images.

Please post your wish-list items. Be as specific as possible with what you'd like to see. The more information I have, the more likely it will be to be included. Relevant links to forum threads, web sites, examples, how-to's, etc. will be appreciated.

I have two items already.

1) Better BT support. I like this approach:

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=10041

2) Configurable HDD spin down

I'm sure there'll be much, much more.

- K.C.
    For a long while I used your custom firmware, but I kept having trouble configuring it the way I wanted. The Asus component kept wanting to try to take over, and it wouldn't allow some functions to be configured how one would like.

So here is a wishlist:

1. User-configurable dnsmasq for both dns function and for dhcp server. IP of local machines configurable given their mac address.
    2. HDD spindown.
    3. Better "Download Master" ... the mldonkey approach looks very good.
    4. User-editable firewall rules.
    5. Up-to-date samba
    6. mail server - xmail or some combination of sendmail/fetchmail/postfix
    7. webmin interface bound to local lan would be very nice
    8. Installable optware ipkg support built in
    9. CUPS print server
    10. Full openssh server (otherwise dropbear would do)
    11. termcap with console utilities: screen mc nano etc would be good
    12. wpa security option for wireless as well as wep
    13. A light web server. Lighttpd or php-thttpd, or perhaps appweb or cherokee.

If required, then support for a swapfile would be good.

I don't want much, hey!

Quote Originally Posted by Woffels View Post
    It would be nice to have a executable that does the job (upgrading firmware and install stuff). So there wont be long discussions on "how to" from linux-unexperienced users like me. I will suggest we do a donation to kfurge when all of our wl's are running like crazy.

Woffels
    You can use the Firmware restoration tool if you don't want (or can't) to use the webinterface for reflashing the firmware :-)

K.C -->
    I got a servage account which i just use to host some small sites i have made for some people, and my own projects. So there is alot of free space, and lots of "unused" trafic :-). So if you are interrested i can hook you up with FTP access, so you can host firmware files etc., and i could also set up a wiki :-)
    Last edited by Henrikh; 15-08-2007 at 17:42.

Flashing

The flashing is not the problem, its the the programs to install. It would be nice if we dont have to use al these linux commands. Specially for non linx users.

When?

I dont want to hurry you, Kfurge. But how is your planning on the new firmware you are gonna modificate. Is it years, months, weeks, days, hours minutes .....................now?!!!
    Cant wait!
    Woffels

Some suggestions on custom firmware

Hi kfurge and thanks for doing this!

I have a few suggestions and I like to have:
    - knockd to secure external access (remove all bruteforce attacks)
    - dropbear
    - HDD Spindown
    - possibility to mount iso-files easy for streaming purposes
    - ipkg
    - possibility to choose and/or create/rename places for files not only /shares/MYVOLUME1/MYSHARE1
    - possibility to set internal system time to local time
    - a better (working) bittorrent client and downloader
    - syslog-ng

Well, I know its hard to please all, but I'm looking forward to see what will be implemented in next version.

/Rejan

My Favorites are:

- tun/tap module and openvpn
    - newer mt-daapd with a writable configfile and playlistfile
    - cups
    - perhaps appletalk support in networking (and netatalk, but that could be installed by ipkg)

out of this world would by python and support for hellanzb, but these are also installable by ipkg

cu

harald

Quote Originally Posted by Henrikh View Post
    I got a servage account which i just use to host some small sites i have made for some people, and my own projects. So there is alot of free space, and lots of "unused" trafic :-). So if you are interrested i can hook you up with FTP access, so you can host firmware files etc., and i could also set up a wiki :-)
    http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/

Its the same as a wiki
    Still a good 40Gb available
    Unlimited bandwith
    dedicaded to wl700ge

Openwrt or Custom Firmware on asus? - http://wl700ge.hezik.nl/ - Http://wl700g.homelinux.net

My ASUS collection: WL500gp(80GB usb-hdd - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 7.09) | WL700gE(250GB - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 8.09rc1)

Quote Originally Posted by back2basic View Post
    http://wl700g.homelinux.net/drupal/

Its the same as a wiki
    Still a good 40Gb available
    Unlimited bandwith
    dedicaded to wl700ge
    Sweet, didn't know about that one! :-)

My mt-daapd now struggles with directories and filenames with extended characters. They are converted to some sort of ascii. So, if you have: Schönberg, Verklärte Nacht, it is sent from mt-daapd as Schotegberg, Verklwert Nacht (or so). Result: no sound. So I guess it would be nice if the Asus could work internally with UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by back2basic View Post
    I've already posted some things up there (as I'm sure you've seen). Once I get started, I think your site would be the best place to officially house the project.

- K.C.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast