Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Firmware 1.0.7.8

it's not easy for asus to make more improvements in the firmware in 9 months

Quote Originally Posted by adriaanvn View Post
    The problems with the PS3 still exist. After about 40 photos the media server crashed and I have to reboot the brick. So no changes for this problem.
    Did you try ushare on the 1.0.4.6 2a custom firmware??? Way fewer crashes with the PS3 using that media server.

Quote Originally Posted by medsource View Post
    Did you try ushare on the 1.0.4.6 2a custom firmware??? Way fewer crashes with the PS3 using that media server.
    No I didn’t. Because: I don’t have the time to experiment with the custom firmware. My knowledge of Linux is very limited and I must be sure that theWL700 comes within an hour in the air again. I don’t have a spare router and my kids can’t live without the net anymore….
    I still put my hopes on Asus. A “respected company” who by mistake have released a broken products to the market and will do everything to make there customer happy and will make the thing do what they have promised. (No Asus I am not cynical). I love to look daily on forms like this, hoping for a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by adriaanvn View Post

No I didn’t. Because: I don’t have the time to experiment with the custom firmware. My knowledge of Linux is very limited and I must be sure that theWL700 comes within an hour in the air again. I don’t have a spare router and my kids can’t live without the net anymore….
    I still put my hopes on Asus. A “respected company” who by mistake have released a broken products to the market and will do everything to make there customer happy and will make the thing do what they have promised. (No Asus I am not cynical). I love to look daily on forms like this, hoping for a solution.
    I'm with you mate

I'm just wondering, if you have access to telnet with this firmware do you still need a custom firmware?
    Can't you just upload the source code to add other features?

no i don't think thats possible. kfurge has in his firmware modified that you can start programs with rc.local... i don't think that asus has made a possibility to install and start programs with this "new" firmware...

grat182

Quote Originally Posted by gratitude182 View Post
    no i don't think thats possible. kfurge has in his firmware modified that you can start programs with rc.local... i don't think that asus has made a possibility to install and start programs with this "new" firmware...

grat182
    Ok so why give access to telnet then?
    This firmware is useless, they did not improve anything

I'm going to be reviewing the source code over the next few days. I'll let everyone know if I find anything new of substance.

- K.C.

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    I'm going to be reviewing the source code over the next few days. I'll let everyone know if I find anything new of substance.

- K.C.
    Thanks that would be great since we have no idea what this new version does, yes I know the improve Itunes bs, I wonder how many people actually use that feature.

If your making another costume firmware for the new version please consider us noobs and make it easy to use.

- K.C.
    Thanx in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Thanks that would be great since we have no idea what this new version does, yes I know the improve Itunes bs, I wonder how many people actually use that feature.

If your making another costume firmware for the new version please consider us noobs and make it easy to use.
    You'd be surprised.. they probably just updated the mt-daapd server to a more recent build.. If so then it should work pretty well, and is a very handy thing to have if you're storing all your music on the router and want to access it easily. I don't use it personally at home but at work I'm running the Windows version of mt-daapd (Firefly) and it's pretty slick for sharing music across the network. Home I deal with the sometimes hassle of trying to get OS X to play nice with a Samba network drive. If it is a more recent build hopefully it's also got FLAC support, so you can listen to FLAC files in iTunes, something you can't do normally.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflash View Post
    You'd be surprised.. they probably just updated the mt-daapd server to a more recent build.. If so then it should work pretty well, and is a very handy thing to have if you're storing all your music on the router and want to access it easily. I don't use it personally at home but at work I'm running the Windows version of mt-daapd (Firefly) and it's pretty slick for sharing music across the network. Home I deal with the sometimes hassle of trying to get OS X to play nice with a Samba network drive. If it is a more recent build hopefully it's also got FLAC support, so you can listen to FLAC files in iTunes, something you can't do normally.
    never really tried the Itunes stuff.
    I share music/movies/folders across my network the old fashion way by giving access to my harddrive to all my other computers on the network(WEP 64bit protected plus the firewall and you only have access to read the files not change).
    Recently I added a 400GB external drive to the WL 700GE, I wanted to replace the internal drive(160GB) to a 500GB but I didn't want to void the warranty, plus this way I can turn off the hard-drive manually.
    I never had any lag or frame drop even when I watch HD 720p or 1080i movies that are stored on the external drive connected to the router.
    I have a ps3 as well and I can access the 700GE with no problem and play music/videos so I'm not really sure why you need the itunes but if you say it's good I'll take your word for it.
    I just want better software(BT client improved) 90% of all the people who purchase this router was for that reason, I can think of many other routers at lower prices with the same features except the BT client.
    They should have added Windows as the OS not linux, this way we could have installed everything we wanted on this bad boy, who the heck uses linux except a few people here and there for work related stuff or for fun then they go back to Windows.....what where this people thinking

They should have added Windows as the OS not linux, this way we could have installed everything we wanted on this bad boy,
    Are you just trolling or are you serious? Windows would never run on the modest hardware resources available on our router. It would easily have cost Asus 3-4x more just to run WinCE. I can tell you right now the selection of applications for Linux on the MIPS architecture far dwarfs anything you'll find for WinCE on MIPS. Besides, all of the nifty x86 stuff you have running on your PC couldn't run on the router even if it was running windows.

who the heck uses linux except a few people here and there for work related stuff or for fun then they go back to Windows.....what where this people thinking
    Now I know you're trolling...

- K.C.

A quick status update on 1.0.7.8:

1) I managed to compile a binary today. Same build process as for 1.0.4.6. However, it didn't compile out of the box like 1.0.4.6 did. Upnp is now distributed as source but the make settings were horribly broken and I had to disable it completely in the main makefile. Fortunately, the binary tarballs still contain a upnp binary so the lack of working source is only an annoyance and can be fixed easily by adjusting the Makefile to be more like 1.0.4.6. The final problem was a hardcoded path in pivot_root that had to be fixed. Otherwise, it built pretty easily.

2) The source code for rc.asus is back. That's good news because "watchdog" is symlinked to rc.asus and was responsible for a number of bad things in the 1.0.4.6 code. Now the annoying quirks (like keeping the HDD from spinning down) may be fixable if they still exist.

3) Most of the back-end executables seem to be exactly the same. Some things were added, some things removed, but I didn't see any major changes. For those interested in torrent support, the version changed and the binary got a little bigger. It's still distributed as a binary only so we'll have to figure out any improvements by trial and error.

- K.C.

Are you just trolling or are you serious? Windows would never run on the modest hardware resources available on our router. It would easily have cost Asus 3-4x more just to run WinCE. I can tell you right now the selection of applications for Linux on the MIPS architecture far dwarfs anything you'll find for WinCE on MIPS. Besides, all of the nifty x86 stuff you have running on your PC couldn't run on the router even if it was running windows.

Now I know you're trolling...

- K.C.

It would cost asus 3-4x more? the price for this router is already $200-300 at 3x-4x more that's a $1000 but lets say $700 more then enough to buy a computer to run Windows Vista, I got my media center PC intel core 2 duo E4300 OC to 3ghz, 2GB Ram ddr2 667, ATI 2600XT GDDR4 everything cost me $400 and I'm buying this products at store price not the discount that asus and other big companies receive.
    my score for Vista is 5.9, it's as high as my main computer running amd FX62
    I am more then sure they could have build a box running Windows or some sort of OS that would allow users to install Windows base software.
    Not all of us have your knowledge in linux KC, even installing the new firmware 1.0.7.8 gave me a headache, it brick my router, took me 3 days and over 10 hours to make it work again.(thanks to members on this forum )
    I call Asus and like always they did not offer any help at all for the product they build.
    I told you this many times before, since your such a smart guy and know how to use linux why not make a firmware so even the noobs can use, something that has all the packages install and we can upgrade like a normal firmware.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast