Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Firmware 1.0.7.8

Correction, I upgraded my media center pc, I already had the mobo and an old 80GB drive

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    ...I told you this many times before, since your such a smart guy and know how to use linux why not make a firmware so even the noobs can use, something that has all the packages install and we can upgrade like a normal firmware.
    There's this saying that goes "never look a gift-horse in the mouth".

Guru, I'm assuming that you are a reasonably intelligent person who can wrap their brain around this concept. All the work Kfurge has done on this custom firmware has been gratis (that's free if you don't want to look it up). Which brings me to my point and my inclusion of your post, mainly because it really irked me. The instructions for the custom firmware and all the add on software has been painfully explained elsewhere on this site. Methinks you are relying too much on the "quick fix" or "spoon fed" mentality and that just doesn't fly here. If you take the time to read the instructions carefully, the prior installs function as advertised.

Oh, and if you were wondering I had ZERO linux command line experience prior to tinkering on the wl-700ge.

I imagine I'm not alone in asking, Guru, that you kindly cease complaining about the wonderful and hard work that others have spent a lot of time on.

** Please let this be the last message in this thread that is not directly CONSTRUCTIVE in the topic of the new firmware **

</soapbox>

Quote Originally Posted by medsource View Post
    There's this saying that goes "never look a gift-

Oh, and if you were wondering I had ZERO linux command line experience prior to tinkering on the wl-700ge.

I imagine I'm not alone in asking, Guru, that you kindly cease complaining about the wonderful and hard work that others have spent a lot of time on.

** Please let this be the last message in this thread that is not directly CONSTRUCTIVE in the topic of the new firmware **

</soapbox>
    Look at the other threads on this forum, we actually offer money to K.C. to build a firmware for noobs, I'm sure if he does this and sets a charging fee of $10 per person at least least 5000 people would pay to get it.

How can I not complain? after soo long since the last firmware was release and we don't get shit, I was hoping for a lot of improvements in 1.0.7.8, all it did is brick my router

I tried to install the custom firmware by K.C. but problems always come up, missing a line or I did not type the code correctly, or move the RC from here to there etc
    Again if you look on other threads I told KC thanks for the custom firmware even do I dont use it, I'm mad at Asus not him and yes I do need to be spoon-feed if you live in Ohio I would gladly pay to have you come and install the firmware.
    Sorry for the none constructive thread but this one is to talk about firmware 1.0.7.8 and that's what I'm doing, if I had something against KC I would have posted on the custom firmware thread with over 37,000 views not here.

Back to this thread;
    1. fix 'itunes cannot find 700gE' issue
    2. fix 'ftp cannot login when switching pbsa->ubsa->pbsa' issue

Not sure what the problem was with number 1-2 but it's a good thing that they fix it.
    Only 2 things are fix and the size of this firmware is 17.48MB I thought maybe they added the two new features on the old firmware but then why is the file smaller then 1.0.4.6? I'll ask asus, maybe someone will give me an answer in this life time.

If you're interested in buying the router from me I'll sell it for $210 and you'll never have to read a thread from me again(I'll even delete my account as a bonus), the router is in excellent condition, comes with the original box, manual and it's in warranty.
    I don't want to complain, I just want a router that is worth the money I paid for.

Offtopic:
    if you live in Ohio I would gladly pay to have you come and install the firmware.
    Why do we have to live in ohio for that. I think maybe it can be done over a remote desktop connection or someting like that

Openwrt or Custom Firmware on asus? - http://wl700ge.hezik.nl/ - Http://wl700g.homelinux.net

My ASUS collection: WL500gp(80GB usb-hdd - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 7.09) | WL700gE(250GB - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 8.09rc1)

Has anybody used the built-in torrent client in 1.0.7.8? I just updated to the new firmware and not only would it not continue the torrent I had going at the time (on pause). Any other torrent I have tried to start up since has reported: 'initial meta info failed'. Is anybody else seeing this? Does anybody have a workaround?

Nicely done .. rather than fix a broken client they seem to have completely annihilated it

This really buggers me .. especially since I was one of the few who actually found the 1.0.4.6 built-in torrent client slightly useful as I don't have a big problem with torrents being slow so long as they steadily progress.

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    Are you just trolling or are you serious? Windows would never run on the modest hardware resources available on our router.
    Now I know you're trolling...

- K.C.
    Are u sure? i have a 266 Mhz machine with 32 MB ram and windows 98 has been running just fine on it for past 8 years.

I know its difficult but it would be far better to have some sort of win OS on the router. Most people who buy the router are not linux literate, they dont buy it so that they have to learn a whole new OS and tinker with linux commands line interface just to get functions that they should have got by default in the first place from Asus. Fact remains most people are more comfortable with and have more knowledge of microsoft's OS's than linux.

Quote Originally Posted by wl700g View Post
    Are u sure? i have a 266 Mhz machine with 32 MB ram and windows 98 has been running just fine on it for past 8 years.

I know its difficult but it would be far better to have some sort of win OS on the router. Most people who buy the router are not linux literate, they dont buy it so that they have to learn a whole new OS and tinker with linux commands line interface just to get functions that they should have got by default in the first place from Asus. Fact remains most people are more comfortable with and have more knowledge of microsoft's OS's than linux.
    Well good luck getting Windows 98 to handle your internet traffic for you.

I don't understand why people would want a router running any form of Windows on it. Do you realize how much overhead and excess crap Windows has? And yes, it would cost Asus more to make a router that can handle Windows. Do you realize just to get an x86 processor would exceed the router's price point? Not to mention the fact that a router would suddenly have a need for video display hardware (read: added cost) because you'd have to hook a monitor up to it, which doesn't make it very feasible your average Joe. Windows is NOT and never will be an embedded capable OS. Sure, there's CE and all that, but it's a PDA OS, and it's not designed to be a router, and probably has very little in the way of networking support (never used it). Linux is extremely scalable and can be compiled to run on just about anything and fit on just about any storage medium you can dream up. Think about it, this router has 2 MEGS, thats MEGS, not GIGS, of flash space for the firmware. Good luck getting Windows to fit on that.

If you want a Windows router, go build or buy yourself a PC, some networking hardware and a nice copy of Windows Server 2003 or something, and have fun. When you compare the costs and time requirements to do that compared to the WL700g, the Asus solution is starting to look a lot more appealing. Most of the people who buy this router probably have no desire what-so-ever to dive into what makes it tick. As long as you can plug it in, use a nice web interface to configure it, and it all works, then that's all most people want and need. It's the select few of us who wanna see what makes it tick and try to make it do more, or do what it does better.

I'm sorry if I start ranting here, but Windows fanboys really irk me. They think Windows is the end-all be-all of Operating Systems, and everyone and everything should be running Windows because it's fairly brainless to use. But I think they seem to forget that a very very large portion of the internet is running on operating systems OTHER than Windows, mostly a UNIX-based OS. Why? Because they work, require less resources to run, and are incredibly stable, and not to mention, they work. I worked at an ISP that tried to do an all Windows setup, which backfired on them horribly. As soon as they got a competent IT person in there to straighten their mess out, almost all of their servers went to Linux, and a majority of their problems went away. What problems remained were because of, you guessed it, the Windows-based servers they still had to run. The point I'm trying to make is every operating system has it's place and purpose. Windows is for the masses. It can do a little bit of everything. Linux and other UNIX based operating systems are incredibly scalable, and can do many things, and do them well. Apple proved years ago that a UNIX-based OS can make a great desktop OS for the masses when they released OS X, and it just keeps getting better and better.

For the record, I'm a Windows user... I'm an OS X user... I'm a Linux user.

Sorry to get off topic here. I'll wait for KC's enhanced version of the new firmware before upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by wl700g View Post

instead of bitching about it you can also take a look in linux. It isn't that hard to understand
    Here are some books that teach you all about linux http://freebooks.homelinux.net

There are also some great 'live cd's 'on the net were you can boot into linux from a cd and try it.....

Openwrt or Custom Firmware on asus? - http://wl700ge.hezik.nl/ - Http://wl700g.homelinux.net

My ASUS collection: WL500gp(80GB usb-hdd - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 7.09) | WL700gE(250GB - Running OpenWrt Kamikaze 8.09rc1)

It would cost asus 3-4x more? the price for this router is already $200-300 at 3x-4x more that's a $1000
    You confusing "their cost" with "your price". They're two very different numbers. To provide equivalent performance running windows their cost would be considerably more. Besides the HW cost, licensing of any version of windows, even WinCE would be a significant cost adder.

I know this because I ran such an analysis for a similar project where I work.

- K.C.

Look at the other threads on this forum, we actually offer money to K.C. to build a firmware for noobs, I'm sure if he does this and sets a charging fee of $10 per person at least least 5000 people would pay to get it.
    Why do I always miss the good posts??? I can't believe I missed a $50k payout!

;-)

- K.C.

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    Why do I always miss the good posts??? I can't believe I missed a $50k payout!

;-)

- K.C.
    Make it happen and I'll pay, many others will too better hurry cause I'm trying to sell the router.
    Someone else came with the idea to pay a programmer to build a custom firmware that can be upgraded easily, it was a guy from Greece, you posted in that thread if I remember right.
    Sucks for asus then, I'll build a true multifunctional server/computer, I'm buying a micro ATX case with the Biostar G965 mobo, 1GB of ram and the intel core 2 duo 4300 and run windows XP not vista, no I wont use a graphics card, I hear the integrated graphic controller is pretty good for basic use(GMA X3000) and I'm trying to keep the power consumption down to a minimum, Total cost will be $320, $50 more then what I paid for this router and I can run the latest version of bitcomet or any other program I want ooo yea lets not forget the E4300 will be 50x more powerful then the processor running in this router with a lot more ram.
    My old belkin Pre-N router will do a nice job connected to the Micro ATX computer, I actually get a better single with the belkin, all the features that the 700GE has I can get with the belkin+MicroPC combo and more a lot more.
    It's a great product don't get me wrong but for the price they charge I expect better software and more processing power ooo yea and better customer service(IT SUCKS)
    Hopefully someone will buy this router from me.

A nice piece of information would be to post a big sign on the box saying "Linux is running on this product, if you don't have knowledge using this OS avoid this product because we will not help you" or maybe just "running Linux" that would be enough for me

This router was made in China, I dont think it cost more then $50 to build and they charge 3x-4x that amount whatever the cost I am not happy with it and trying to sell it, if you people like it good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflash View Post

Do you realize just to get an x86 processor would exceed the router's price point? Not to mention the fact that a router would suddenly have a need for video display hardware (read: added cost) because you'd have to hook a monitor up to it, which doesn't make it very feasible your average Joe. If you want a Windows router, go build or buy yourself a PC, some networking hardware and a nice copy of Windows Server 2003 or something, and have fun. When you compare the costs and time requirements to do that compared to the WL700g, the Asus solution is starting to look a lot more appealing
    I think this has been answered by Guru above, for the same price as the Asus router, infact for even less, one can get a windows based PC having all functions with proper GUI, no installing crap like screen etc.

Most of the people who buy this router probably have no desire what-so-ever to dive into what makes it tick. As long as you can plug it in, use a nice web interface to configure it, and it all works, then that's all most people want and need. It's the select few of us who wanna see what makes it tick and try to make it do more, or do what it does better.
    there u go, u have yourself mentioned the crux of the problem. If asus cant provide proper functions with this router they should put a disclaimer "only for geeks" on the router because the average joe likes the brainless click and point system because it has been doing his jobs with aplomb for several years and will continue to do so in the future.

I'm sorry if I start ranting here, but Windows fanboys really irk me. They think Windows is the end-all be-all of Operating Systems, and everyone and everything should be running Windows because it's fairly brainless to use. But I think they seem to forget that a very very large portion of the internet is running on operating systems OTHER than Windows, mostly a UNIX-based OS. Why? The point I'm trying to make is every operating system has it's place and purpose. Windows is for the masses. It can do a little bit of everything. Linux and other UNIX based operating systems are incredibly scalable, and can do many things, and do them well.
    thats exactly what i am trying to say, windows is for masses and this is further evidenced by the huge popularity of win over linux in home environments.

by the way, u dont have fans if you are useless, so microsft has gotta have something which made them so popular, Linux AFAIK predates microsoft(in form of unix) if it was so heavenly good why isnt it the staple home OS today?

for the record i am not criticizing kfurge or anybody here, infact he has done an excellent job by coming to help of those people who were left high and dry
    by Asus. If its anybody i am condemning its Asus, for the price that Asus is charging for the router one can get a good windows based system which most people can use. I feel most people are being tricked by Asus and they are stuck with a device they cannot use for the purposes they bought in the first place.

i'm happy with my customized WL700, because when i consider the power consumption of the Asus WL700 compared to any Windoze based Mini-Server then i got what i wanted. a low-power consuming device which serves (slowly) all my needs. my WL700 is working fine and i got everything running with moderate amount of fine-tweaking. thanks to K.C. (kfurge) again

brgds

--
    tiwag

Hope I'm not fanning the flamings, but it seems to me that Guru and Wl700g are missing a crucial point: The wl700ge is a network device. Not a pc. It is easy to forget when asus (and perhaps even more so kfurge) makes it do tasks that used to be reserved for PCs. Being a network device and not a pc, it consumes a lot less power, is more silent and takes up way less space. It is even deceptively attractive on the outside.

If you know your computer history, there are very real explanations to why Bill Gates and Microsoft in general had such luck marketing their product in the dawn of the PC age. First and foremost Gates had the bright idea to go into business with the people supplying customers with computers, so that they came ready to use with an operating system already installed.

Arguing that network devices should run desktop windows is insane, if you will pardon my choice of words.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast