Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flashing Oleg's Firmware in WL HDD

Quote Originally Posted by hugo
    all is static, in same subnet, factory reseted

I can upgrade the firmware using the web page, but it won't accept oleg's one of course, only asus ones
    are you sure it is in restoration mode ? e.g. can you access websetup at moment when powerled is flashing (e.g. the powerled flashes also when you shutdown the wl-hdd inproperly)

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

I'm quite sure now the firmware restoration mode is tricky to get to.

I'm positive I had a one point the firmware mode set on the wl-hdd. The power led was blinking as soon as I plugged the power cord.

After flashing the 1.1.2.6, I cannot go back to this mode. I tried to keep the button pressed before unplugging and after, to press it once the power cord is removed and wait, but everytime now it goes to normal boot cycle.

It scares me to think I don't have a reliable way to go to emergency update mode. It probably depends on the way it is shut down as I could get into the right mode after unplugging the power cord without waiting for a full shutdown (and no, it wasn't the blink from the bad file system check because I could start the firmware utility and get it to see the wl hdd)

i'll try to go on my tests.

back to the firmware topic:

I'm now quite sure it would be easy to get oleg firmware working on the wl hdd, using some instmod with the ide folder included in the root fs

Is it something hard to try (even if we have to do the insmod manually afterward?)

Quote Originally Posted by JOCKYW2001
    Pls explain Hugo! I compiled vsftpd 2.0.1 and can't get it to run on my WL-HDD. It can't locate user "nobody" and I have no way to add users on my WL-HDD. By Oleg's suggestion I added /etc/passwd and /etc/group but it doesn't make a difference. Seems the WL-HDD runs as UID 0 with no users. Before I start patching vsftpd I wait for your instructions.
    You probably already know this, but the stupid-ftpd.conf and other process are probably created from a script similar to /usr/sbin/hdsvr-start script. You understand by reading it that it define after startup the conf file. We could probably change this file from the source to get a new behaviour.

I'm quite sure now the firmware restoration mode is tricky to get to.

I'm positive I had a one point the firmware mode set on the wl-hdd. The power led was blinking as soon as I plugged the power cord.

After flashing the 1.1.2.6, I cannot go back to this mode. I tried to keep the button pressed before unplugging and after, to press it once the power cord is removed and wait, but everytime now it goes to normal boot cycle.

It scares me to think I don't have a reliable way to go to emergency update mode. It probably depends on the way it is shut down as I could get into the right mode after unplugging the power cord without waiting for a full shutdown (and no, it wasn't the blink from the bad file system check because I could start the firmware utility and get it to see the wl hdd)

i'll try to go on my tests.

back to the firmware topic:

I'm now quite sure it would be easy to get oleg firmware working on the wl hdd, using some instmod with the ide folder included in the root fs

Is it something hard to try (even if we have to do the insmod manually afterward?)
    you must be doing something wrong..
    firmware restore is not tricky it's even better than flashing via websetup

it is just like this

power OFF
    be sure there is an cable at the ethernet port (how else would you flash the firmware ?)
    press and HOLD the button
    insert the power cord
    wait until the PWR led is going to flash (no other ligth may light up)
    then release the button

and you are able to flash via the tool at your windows pc

firmwares do not alter your pmon, if your pmon is defective your device would not boot up at all

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Got my answer. The network card is also very important: It must be a 10/100, not only 10 Mb.

Once plugged to my old linksys router, all went well. The firmware restoration mode goes everytime well.

The admin password is not admin/admin, nor the one I had set, so I will have to go back to the old firmware to clear any password, but I will be able to update next time.

EDIT: Got the passwor: It's [blank]/admin
    Last edited by hugo; 17-10-2004 at 18:35.

To get access using telnet to your Wl HDD, you first have to get the telnetd file here:

http://files.wl500g.info/asus/wl500g/telnetd/telnetd

Be sure to get a 324 k file, not a 20 k file. Be sure to use left click, and to let it save on the HD

Copy this file on your first WL HDD partition. It probably have to be formated with ext2fs, so you might have to create a smaller partition to store your system files

Use normal ftp or samba access to save this file
    I can't seem to get hold of this file. When I left-click me IE browser opens with code inside and when I right-click with save as, I get the 20 k file

Can anyone help?

Got my answer. The network card is also very important: It must be a 10/100, not only 10 Mb.

Once plugged to my old linksys router, all went well. The firmware restoration mode goes everytime well.

The admin password is not admin/admin, nor the one I had set, so I will have to go back to the old firmware to clear any password, but I will be able to update next time.

EDIT: Got the passwor: It's [blank]/admin

you have to restore settings to default first!

getting blank/admin means you didn't do this

Quote Originally Posted by peewee
    I can't seem to get hold of this file. When I left-click me IE browser opens with code inside and when I right-click with save as, I get the 20 k file

Can anyone help?
    browse to it via: http://wl500g.info/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    you have to restore settings to default first!

getting blank/admin means you didn't do this
    You cannot restore settings before connecting. This looks like a normal behaviour when you switch from HDD firmware to 500 one.

Then I could set the factory default and use a new password. But this is just something to know. Now everything is ok.

Sorry, I still can't get it. Can you mail it to me? or can I download it with FTP?

Quote Originally Posted by peewee
    Sorry, I still can't get it. Can you mail it to me? or can I download it with FTP?
    Try this one
    Attached Files Attached Files

You cannot restore settings before connecting. This looks like a normal behaviour when you switch from HDD firmware to 500 one.

Then I could set the factory default and use a new password. But this is just something to know. Now everything is ok.
    ??

restoring goes via the 'restore button'

press and hold the button while the wl-hdd is already running
    the powerled will flash 1 or 2 times and it will reboot then your settings resetted to default

??

restoring goes via the 'restore button'

press and hold the button while the wl-hdd is already running
    the powerled will flash 1 or 2 times and it will reboot then your settings resetted to default
    This is not the standard behavious on my wl hdd.

Pressing the button long enough will simply shut down the device. I have only one button. Also this function is firmware dependent. For example, with the 1.1.2.7 modified one from the forum, the button doesn't do anything anymore, probably because the watchdog is not here anymore.

Anyway, this is not very important. I have a working procedure to flash my unit, and this is what matters.

This is not the standard behavious on my wl hdd.

Pressing the button long enough will simply shut down the device. I have only one button. Also this function is firmware dependent. For example, with the 1.1.2.7 modified one from the forum, the button doesn't do anything anymore, probably because the watchdog is not here anymore.

Anyway, this is not very important. I have a working procedure to flash my unit, and this is what matters.
    well it is about the wl500g firmware, thus pressing the button reset the unit to defaults that is normal behaviour for wl500g firmware

and about 1.1.2.7 that's perhaps true yes, as it doesn't monitor the button anymore

Smile

Try this one
    Yep, that did the trick.
    Tnx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12