Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: MLDonkey as Download Manager for WL-700g [draft v.0.1]

1. Quote Originally Posted by Henrikh View Post
    1. MLdonkey should keep seeding torrents, until they are deleted from the \.mldonkey\torrents\seeded directory. But Sancho will not show these files, allthough it will show if anybody are downloading them from you. (in the lower port of the screen, where it says "Uploaders").

You should also be able to find these files if you go to the tab labeled "Shares".

I am aware that normal bittorent clients keeps showing the files, just showing them with the status "Seeding" instead. But you need to remember that Mldonkey is not just a bittorent client, its also a edonkey, and file transfer (http/ftp) client. So i guess thats why the have chosen this kind of structure for the client.

2. I have been looking for this possibility too, but unfortunately i guess its one of the shortcomings of mldonkey

Thank you for your reply. Suddenly appeared one more related question: how can I download file/files based on URL which is password protected. I mean I can access file/files since I have password, however I don't want to download it by a simple browser, I would like to download it by a download manager like Flashget. My purpose is accomplish that in MLdonkey/Sancho. Is it possible?

I tried to use MLdonkey web interface, I pasted URL and pushed INPUT button. I did the same in Sancho. The file/files is/are appeared transfers' list, but download process doesn't start. I guess MLdonkey/Sancho is not able to handle, because password need.

downloading password protected stuff....

Try using the following syntax as input url: http://usernameassword@www.whatever.com/test.zip

should also work for ftp sites (if you replace http by ftp)

downloading password protected stuff....2

If you hover over the hyperlink in the previous post, you'll see the correct syntax on the bottom of your browser...

4. Quote Originally Posted by anieln View Post
    Try using the following syntax as input url: http://username:password@www.whatever.com/test.zip

should also work for ftp sites (if you replace http by ftp)
    Hi,

I tried your tip (I have no success), but situation is more complex, because my username is e-mail address and protocol is secure http.

A.) If I am trying this syntax:

https://myemailusername@myemaildomain.com:password@www.wha tever.com/test.zip

I get: Exception Failure("int_of_string")

B.) If I am trying another syntax:

https://www.whatever.com/test.zip@myemailusername@myemaildomain.com:passwor d

MLdonkey just says: Parsing HTTP url

The last one seems to be good, but nothing happens.

May you have any other tip or trick?
    Last edited by metamorphose; 18-12-2007 at 19:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrikh View Post
    Ah, i figured it out by using the famous search function :-)

The problem is that the ports need to be in the "INPUT" chain in iptables, not FORWARD.

You can add these by running this command (This will of course open port 3400, you can just replace that with whatever port you have configured mldonkey for, allthough it is a good idea to change it from the original port, as it is not allowed to use this port on many trackers, and many ISP's are slowing down trafic on that port)

iptables -I INPUT 7 -p tcp --dport 3400-j ACCEPT

You can add this line to rc.local to make it permanent.

Still not getting more than about 50kb/s.

Should i specify max_hard_download_rate as kbit or kb/s?
    Found solution:
    iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp --dport 6882 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i eth1 -p tcp --dport 6882 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.1
    You should add this to the mlnet init script. This one works well on my wl500gp, speed is around 120-140kb/s instead of 50-55kb/s.

Note: yous might need to change 'eth1' to ppp0 or something like that. (Network Interface of the ISP/WAN)
    Source: http://mldonkey.sourceforge.net/WhatFirewallPortsToOpen

One question: I understand this is a 'lite' version of mldonkey, but I want DC. Who knows how to enable it? (Without recomplieing)

Quote Originally Posted by metamorphose View Post
    Hi,

I tried your tip (I have no success), but situation is more complex, because my username is e-mail address and protocol is secure http.

A.) If I am trying this syntax:

https://myemailusername@myemaildomai...r.com/test.zip

I get: Exception Failure("int_of_string")

B.) If I am trying another syntax:

https://www.whatever.com/test.zip@my...n.com:password

MLdonkey just says: Parsing HTTP url

The last one seems to be good, but nothing happens.

May you have any other tip or trick?
    Intresting question. I haven't tried it yet. The problem I think is the username. When it actually parsing the URl it finds two @ characters, where one or zero (logical/bool variable) expected, so the return value of the function will be two (witch is an intger), instead of the two strings (usernameassword and the hostname/dir/file). I'm not sure, just guess.

Quote Originally Posted by viktike View Post
    Found solution:

You should add this to the mlnet init script. This one works well on my wl500gp, speed is around 120-140kb/s instead of 50-55kb/s.

Note: yous might need to change 'eth1' to ppp0 or something like that. (Network Interface of the ISP/WAN)
    Source: http://mldonkey.sourceforge.net/WhatFirewallPortsToOpen

One question: I understand this is a 'lite' version of mldonkey, but I want DC. Who knows how to enable it? (Without recomplieing)
    Well by just adding the port to the input chain did it for me (I checked with a port scanner, and the trackers also reported me as "connectable" :-). The slow speed was due to a bug in the old 2.8.5 mlnet version, with mlnet 2.9.1 i get way better performance. I have reached speeds approaching 500kb/s, but i limit the speed, else the CPU is completely overloaded, and thereby increasing the respond-time for other services significantly.

I guess you can't just enable DC++ support without recompiling, as far as i understand the code that should handle the DC++ protocol is not included in the compilation to minimize space usage.
    Last edited by Henrikh; 11-01-2008 at 16:59.

Guys,

I'm adding MLDonkey to my upcoming firmware image. Are there any other ports besides the BT ports (6882-6899) that I should open through the firewall to make ML Donkey more usable?

- K.C.
    Last edited by kfurge; 20-01-2008 at 03:06. Reason: Fix ports

Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    Guys,

I'm adding MLDonkey to my upcoming firmware image. Are there any other ports besides the BT ports (6882-6899) that I should open through the firewall to make ML Donkey more usable?

- K.C.
    First off, Thank you for all your work with the Asus firmware, i am really looking forward to your next release :-)

I don't think its necessary to open the 6882-6899 port range. My experience is that its only necessary to open the port specified in the MLDonkey config, which i guess is 6882 as default.

But if it is possible, it would be a good idea to change the default port to something else, because many ISP limits the speed on the standard bittorrent ports. I use port 3400, but some random port above the standard service ports like 54286 or something, would be great. And as said earlier, if you specify port 54286 as bittorrent port, it should only be necessary to open up that port.

Uh and one thing more. What version of MLDonkey are you intergrating? The 2.8.5 version has buggy bittorrent code, which results in slow speed, and the 2.9.2 is just acting weird when adding torrents. In my experience, the 2.9.1 version is the one working the best, reaching speeds of several hundred kb/s.
    Last edited by Henrikh; 20-01-2008 at 13:53. Reason: port numbers

10. Openning ports

Hi,

I absolutely agree with Henkrikh, I think openning 6881-6889 port range is unnecessary, becaues many of ISPs apply speed limit on the standard bittorrent ports.

I use this ports:

4001: to be able to connect to MLDonkey core by Sancho client (LAN)
    4080: to be able to connect to MLDonkey web interface through LAN or WAN
    46680: this my default Bittorrent port to avoid speed limitation as Henkrikh and me mentioned above

I think default Bittorrent port(s) of MLDonkey might be a custom parameter in rc.local. I mean if somebody want to adjust another port, can change port number in the proper line of rc.local, which open the proper port(s) by iptables command (according to MLDonkey properties):

iptables -I INPUT 7 -p tcp --dport custom_port_number -j ACCEPT

Do you agree with me?

Hi,

I absolutely agree with Henkrikh, I think openning 6881-6889 port range is unnecessary, becaues many of ISPs apply speed limit on the standard bittorrent ports.

I use this ports:

46680: this my default Bittorrent port to avoid speed limitation as Henkrikh and me mentioned above

I think default Bittorrent port(s) of MLDonkey might be a custom parameter in rc.local. I mean if somebody want to adjust another port, can change port number in the proper line of rc.local, which open the proper port(s) by iptables command (according to MLDonkey properties):

iptables -I INPUT 7 -p tcp --dport custom_port_number -j ACCEPT

Do you agree with me?
    Well we could just put up an FAQ an tell people to add that line to their rc.local file, if they change the port number in MLDonkey, but that is for kfurge to decide

Anyways very few people would need to change the port number, if some odd port number like 51889 is set as default

Thank you all for the feedback so far. A few more questions / comments...

Connecting from the LAN does not require punching through the firewall, this is OK with no iptables manipulation.
    In general, client connections from the WAN side are inherently dangerous and somewhat atypical. I think it should not do this by default. If someone wants to modify the firewall modification scripts, they'll be able to do this easily.
    Hmmm... I'm not a rabid torrent user, so I'm unfamiliar with the protocol. How do connecting clients know which port you have open if you don't use the standard ones? Do active sharing clients register their incoming ports with the torrent tracker? Is it worth opening more than one port?

- K.C.
    Last edited by kfurge; 20-01-2008 at 19:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrikh View Post
    The 2.8.5 version has buggy bittorrent code, which results in slow speed, and the 2.9.2 is just acting weird when adding torrents. In my experience, the 2.9.1 version is the one working the best, reaching speeds of several hundred kb/s.
    I grabbed 2.9.2 since it was the newest. I've downloaded a few torrents with it and it seems to be working OK, though somewhat slow. I suspect my ISP is throttling back the connections. What strangeness are you experiencing?

- K.C.

Well then its probably my setup which had some kind of flaws. Sometimes it refused to download torrent,when it loaded torrents i didn't get that many connections. Generally my experience was pretty poor compared to 2.9.1, but if you got it working then i guess theirs no problem :-)

I don't know exactly how the bittorrent client work but i have been using torrents for a couple of years, and i have always changed the port number, and this have never caused any problems. I guess the bittorrent client tells the tracker what port it listen on, and thereby, the other bittorrent client know what port they need to request information from? :-)

Anyways its a general recomdation to change away from the default port. uTorrent (which is now owned by bittorrent inc., and therefore can be regarded as the official bittorrent client) also have an option for choosing a random port, and as far as i remember, it also choose a random port when it starts up for the first time.

And nope, it should not be necessary to open anything else than the defined bittorrent port, MLDonkey handles all connection through this port.

*EDIT*
    I just did some reading in the russain thread (Thank god for Google translator ) and it seems that no one else is having problems with the 2.9.2, so i guess it was my setup which some kind of flaw. It also seems most reasonable to go with the newest version, so stick with the 2.9.2 version (Unless you stumble upon the new 2.9.3 :-P)
    Last edited by Henrikh; 20-01-2008 at 20:45.

15. Quote Originally Posted by kfurge View Post
    Thank you all for the feedback so far. A few more questions / comments...

Connecting from the LAN does not require punching through the firewall, this is OK with no iptables manipulation.

In general, client connections from the WAN side are inherently dangerous and somewhat atypical. I think it should not do this by default. If someone wants to modify the firewall modification scripts, they'll be able to do this easily.

Hmmm... I'm not a rabid torrent user, so I'm unfamiliar with the protocol. How do connecting clients know which port you have open if you don't use the standard ones? Do active sharing clients register their incoming ports with the torrent tracker? Is it worth opening more than one port?

- K.C.
    Hello kfurge,

I am trying to clean the misunderstanding.

1. port 4001: I just listed this port, I did not claim is necessary to open up.

2. port 4080: I think it should not be too dangerous, supposing you protect your MLDonkey client by password - I apply this solution. So I am able to view and administer my downloads from everywhere, almost. BTW I must absolutely agree with you, it can be dangerous without password protection. I owerwrite my oppinion: it is just a possibility for intermediate/advanced users, I am not sure the openning this port would be practical.

3. port 46680: I use this port because I had read earlier between Henrikh advices (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=10041) this is the default BT-client port of Sancho client. I successfully managed to open up that port, anyway as I read Henrikh choose another port 3400, so I think there is no default MLDonkey BT-port. As I suggested above you may provide a parameter to define the proper MLDonkey BT-port (I thought just a simple line iptables command in rc.local, which is modificatable). But you are the boss...

You convinced me.

P.S.: I do not know how, but openning port 46680 is working for me, believe in that. Do you use Bitcomet? You can setup the port you want to use in Bitcomet as BT-port. It can be any port. I do not know how any BT-clients (I mean peers) find the proper port and connect to my router, but somehow they can, this is my experience.
    Last edited by metamorphose; 22-01-2008 at 08:30.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast