Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSL does not disconnect

Funny, I wish my router would disconnect at all! I have 1.7.5.9-CR5 (and had others before), but no matter what the idle time field is set to, it will just stay connected until it occasionally (after a few hours, never more often than once a day) drops the connection for a short while (a few hours) and then re-connects without one of the computers even being running.

There are quite a few posts regarding this problem.

Now, the above answer got me thinking: Could it be the NTP-client in the router that's causing the network traffic? I will have to test this at home.

If anyone has got any idea how to fix the idle time disconnects (so that they actually work!), then PLEASE, PLEASE let me/us/the world know! PLEASE!

Regards,
    J.

Now, the above answer got me thinking: Could it be the NTP-client in the router that's causing the network traffic? I will have to test this at home.
    The NTP client pools the server every 24 hours, as shown by chris.

If anyone has got any idea how to fix the idle time disconnects (so that they actually work!), then PLEASE, PLEASE let me/us/the world know! PLEASE!
    Possibly there is a bug in the idle timer function. However are you sure that you are not disturbed by incoming traffic ? I mean, if, for instance, you have not disabled ICMP echo reply, your routeur will answer every scan from the internet and reset its idle timer to 0...
    I suggest you to activate the firewall in order to filter all unsollicited incoming traffic : ICMP, UDP and TCP SYN messages. If the router still does not disconnect, it is really a bug. If it does, refine your firewall configuration...

@ark+

Thanks for the reply. I have set all access-from-web-to-router checkboxes to "no" and have turned off the dyndns client. Still the same problem. You don't happen to have any other suggestions?

@chris.delarue:

There are two separate issues at work here, yours and mine (sorry for hijacking your thread by the way...). Seems we have the exact opposite problem: you don't want to disconnect, which doesn't work for you, and I do want the router to disconnect, which does not work for me...

Mod reason...

I split the thread for obvious reasons...

Thanks, Styno.

Let me put out my question to the whole world then:

Does anyone else experience the phenomenon that the router does not disconnect from DSL as it should? Or better yet, does anyone have a solution for the problem?

Any suggestions welcome!

Regards,
    Jabu.

Quote Originally Posted by jabuaman
    it will just stay connected until it occasionally (after a few hours, never more often than once a day) drops the connection for a short while (a few hours) and then re-connects without one of the computers even being running.
    IMHO Seems to me your IDLE disconnect works fine All you need to do is try and find the process which activates it again. NTP client, outside signal (from your modem or ISP or ??????)
    Last edited by brubber; 11-10-2004 at 20:07.
    Brubber

WL-500g, WL-138g, WL-160g

Same Problem, no solution at all

Well, one question that strikes me is: is there anyone for whom it DOES work?

Because if there is, then at least there is a chance to compare the settings. If not, then it is a bug in the software. Why a bug? Because I had a 3com router before and the idle disconnect worked perfectly.

So if there's anyone with a working idle disconnect, PLEASE share your settings with us!

Jabu.

Quote Originally Posted by jabuaman
    Well, one question that strikes me is: is there anyone for whom it DOES work?

Because if there is, then at least there is a chance to compare the settings. If not, then it is a bug in the software. Why a bug? Because I had a 3com router before and the idle disconnect worked perfectly.

So if there's anyone with a working idle disconnect, PLEASE share your settings with us!

Jabu.
    sorry to say.. but I think it's more difficult finding someone who uses it all
    IMO there are not a lot of people needing/using this.. (e.g. no max use of bandwidth)

and I don't have DSL so I can't test this for you

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

You might try to figure out what causes your router not to disconnect.
    It might be incoming traffic as well as outgoing. The incoming traffic can be logged to syslog using a command like:
    Code:
    iptables -I INPUT -d [your WAN ip address] -i "$1" -j LOG
    If your router does not disconnect because of incoming traffic you can try to enable the 'Tx ' option in the webinterface. Incomming traffic while you are doing nothing is a common problem when using P2P software.

11. It worked well for me with the 1.6.5.3 firmware because in the begining I plugged the wl500 to the network I didn't paid attention to the option idle time disconnect and it was set by default to half an hour and it waked up again when I was using a computer to access the internet.
    But as you know I am looking for the opposite as you (I want no disconnection)

Thanks for your replies.

I know the (vast) amount of (unsolicited) incoming traffic from the log of my old 3com router. However, if I set the Asus to block all incoming tarffic (which I did), should it not disconnect after the amount of time set in the idle disconnect field? The tx-only option also appears to have no effect (I know that there is no tx-traffic because the router stays online even if there are no computers running...).

Most of you guys may have no bandwidth limits (neither do I, by the way), but I don't like the router being exposed to the evil hands of the dark internet powers

Jokes aside, the router offers this function and it should work. Apart from that I will most likely be switching to a limited bandwidth scheme and hence would have to pay good money for the extra time spent online.

Jabu.

@chris:

Thanks for that info. I will try the older firmware at home. Was ist stock or custom?

If it works, then the problem lies either in the newer firmwares or in my current settings...

Jabu.

@chris:

Oh, and when I find out what's "wrong" with my setup, then I can possibly tell you what's "right" for yours

@jabuaman: Ever seen the edit button on the right-below?

Outgoing traffic is not only generated by PC's in the LAN, but also on the router itself (NTP client anyone?).

If the disconnect timer counts incomming traffic before the firewall it will not help to drop the packets. It's just a different approach to implement such a timer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast