Thread: simple setup a working wireless 802.11b/g with wep shared key, mac filtering

simple setup a working wireless 802.11b/g with wep shared key, mac filtering

this is a short howto to setup a working connection which can be established with 802.11b AND 802.11g clients
    with MAC Filtering, and a Shared WEP Key

to clear some things out, the 802.11g will work at 54MBit in this configuration it does not drop back to 11MBit.

some given things:

SSID: AAPg (alter this to your needs)
    WEPKEY: 9F062FF8D6CA11039801585A09 (alter this to to your needs MUST be 26 characters may be characters which may be used: 01234567890ABCDEF.
    MAC: 00-11-22-33-44-55 (alter this to the mac address(es) of your wireless NIC cards)

below you find screens, edit your router config according screens below.

Nice howto. I have some questions: why don't you use a passphrase? and why do you only use key1 as default key instead of all 4 in different order?
    I know it takes over 4 years for over 1000 clustered pc's to break one key, but 4 keys is better than 1, am I right?
    Last edited by john37; 24-03-2004 at 10:33.

yes antiloop

you got me all things workin

never!!! use the passphrase for windows xp, only use the generated key. with the key all!!! cards are workin without exception.

Why shouldn't you use passphrase?? I use it and it works perfect for me! Under Windows XP.

maybe but the key is workin with all my problem cards including prism chipset

with passphrase you can connecct and everything seems to be correct but no data is sent

my personal opinion about passphrases are that they are too easy generated, so you have a much weaker key instead of making up a key yourself

hehe, another possibility

How to find out MAC address with wifi onboard?

Where can I find the MAC address of my laptop? it has wifi onboard. and is it necessary to use access control?

Quote Originally Posted by B@SSIE
    Where can I find the MAC address of my laptop? it has wifi onboard. and is it necessary to use access control?
    no.. but is it necessary to use WEP than ?

go to the command line of windows XP

type this command:
    Code:
    ipconfig /all
    search for text that looks like this:
    Fysiek adres. . . . . . . . . . . : 00-11-22-33-44-55
    or
    Physical address. . . . . . . . : 00-11-22-33-44-55

the 00-11-22-33-44-55 is the MAC address..

ps. have you read the manual of your notebook at all? it should also mention your mac address or where to find it (at the bottom of your notebook mostly)

My little Asus Collection: Too much to fit inhere, my 2 babies:WL500w 1.9.2.7-10(OLEG) VX2SE Yellow Lamborghini notebook

WL500g Forum Asus Files OpenDir

Asusforum.NL -- Asusforum.DE -- Asusforum.RU -- Asusforum.PL -- Asusforum.NET -- Asusforum.EU -- Asusforum.BE -- Asusforum.ES -- Asusforum.INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    no.. but is it necessary to use WEP than ?

go to the command line of windows XP

type this command:
    Code:
    ipconfig /all
    search for text that looks like this:
    Fysiek adres. . . . . . . . . . . : 00-11-22-33-44-55
    or
    Physical address. . . . . . . . : 00-11-22-33-44-55

the 00-11-22-33-44-55 is the MAC address..

ps. have you read the manual of your notebook at all? it should also mention your mac address or where to find it (at the bottom of your notebook mostly)
    Thanx for the tip!

Re ps.
    Sorry, I'm not that familiar with networking etc. But I have to admid, that I never read the manual unless I cannot find it out myself. In this case I probably just have missed it

Quote Originally Posted by Antiloop
    my personal opinion about passphrases are that they are too easy generated, so you have a much weaker key instead of making up a key yourself
    WEP sucks completely, passphrase or not. If possible (Windows XP clients or Win 2x clients with WPA comp. drivers) use WPA... WEP keys can be cracked very easily !

Unhappy i have tried everything so far from here but is still not working

Antiloop, please, please, help me to resolve this problem

I have 3 computers home
    2 computers Pentium 3
    And 1 Pentium 4

Pentium 4 is connected to the internet through a cable modem (ntl ISP in UK) with 1,5mb/s speed.

I was thinking to setup a wireless network home
    So I have bought 2 LAN PCI adapters (Asus WL-138G)
    1 Wireless Router (Asus WL-500G)

Now, my problem is that I have followed the instruction given on the guide when I have installed the router but it is not working
    I can not access the internet when the router is connected
    I can access the settings and I can perform and modify the settings there (such as automatic ip or security) but I can not access the internet trough my internet explorer icon.

So as you can see so far I am stuck on the beginning. Going to setup the other two computers it seems to be like a nightmare to me after these unsuccessful attempts

Please explain me how can I set up my router to be able to access the internet? Are there any extra settings that I have to perform in windows prior to connect my router to my computer??

I forgot to say that Pentium 4 computer is connected to the router through a wired connection. And the router is connected to the modem.

The other two computers are not yet connected (in fact I have not even installed the PCI cards on them after this unsuccessful attempts…)

Thank you very much for you time and for your help,

Laurentiu-Uk

Laurentiu-Uk, please make a separate thread rather than spaming all the forum. You've already added 4 posts or something to the end of the threads, which has NOTHING in common with your question.

If you do not follow this rule, your account will be blocked.

This post will be also deleted in 24 hours. Please READ THE FAQ and post in the right forum, using Post New thread.

Laurentiu-Uk, I also PM-ed you about your post behaviour. Read the PM (=Private Message) please, you can find a link to it when you click on the menu option 'User CP' or on the upper right side where it says 'Private Messages'.