PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : 1.8.1.7-1 custom firmware available for testing

Oleg
10-10-2004, 12:47
Guys,

I've made 1.8.1.7 firmware available for testing. Download it from this link (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/wl500g-1.8.1.7-1.zip). This wl500g version, which was tested and works fine. Sources (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/wl500g-1.8.1.7-1.tar.bz2) and rootfs (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/wl500g-1.8.1.7-1-root.tar.bz2) are also provided for your reference. There are also firmwares for other units as well, but build by automated ASUS scripts and not tested - browse this directory (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/1.8.1.7-1/) to find yours. I need a feedback from none wl500g owners (i.e. wl500b, wl500bv2, wl300g) to either build these firmwares or to remove them. I do not have an ability to test them.

No documentation available at this time, the major difference with older firmwares is that it's no longer scripts driven (except linuxrc & flashfs), does not support bootCmds (use flashfs instead), location for post- scripts are also changed - they now lying in the /usr/local/sbin/.
Important note regarding post- scripts - they're should start with

#!/bin/sh

otherwise they will not work.
Another regarding raw printing - USB is now sitting at 9100, LPT - 9101

Changelog and documentation will be posted later, I need sometime to rewrite the page.
Once this will be done I will post it to the Firmware Releases forum.

UPDATE: I've updated wl500g page with new instructions (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/)

Oleg
10-10-2004, 14:34
Wrong firmware was posted for the wl500g (this results in no printing possible). I've reuploaded it, so check file sizes
zip should be 3559891 bytes
root should be 2464128 bytes

GJAman
11-10-2004, 17:11
I just put firmware WL300g_1.8.1.7-1.trx on my Asus WL-300g and as you can see I have still a internet connection, so it is working :)

I will test some more functions (for example WPA-PSK and SSH) when I have got time :o

Also I will put the WL500g_1.8.1.7-1.trx firmware on my Asus WL-500g tonight ;)

Oleg
11-10-2004, 20:45
Visit this page (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/) for docs draft.

GJAman
11-10-2004, 23:11
Visit this page (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/) for docs draft.

3. Generate the DSS key by typing
dropbearkey -t dss /usr/local/etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key

4. Generate the RSA key by typing
dropbearkey -t rsa /usr/local/etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key

Must that not be? ;)

dropbearkey -t dss -f /usr/local/etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key

dropbearkey -t rsa -f /usr/local/etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key

B.T.W. I saw that anonymous FTP acces is standard on in this firmware is this right?

user=anonymous * // 0 A

Oleg
12-10-2004, 06:52
Must that not be? ;)

dropbearkey -t dss -f /usr/local/etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key

dropbearkey -t rsa -f /usr/local/etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key

Right, page updated.

B.T.W. I saw that anonymous FTP acces is standard on in this firmware is this right?
I've no idea. :) I've not touched ftp stuff.

MSG
12-10-2004, 19:00
Hi,

I am new here, firstly thanks for your efforts in creating these great custom firmwares, much appreciated =)

I have tried to install this firmware tonight and it seems to work fine after I did a firmware upgrade and then a factory reset on the router. However, there seems to be two weird problems after I flashed it with this firmware.

1. I like to manually set the IP addresses for my Wireless cards according to their MAC to have control over the port forward settings. For my case, I've set the IP address of my wireless card to 192.168.1.33 but somehow, it gets assigned to 192.168.1.66. Even though this is so, the Port forwarding seems to still work even when I've entered .33 for the local destination in the virtual server settings.

2. I can't seem to disable the firewall on the router. Every time I try to disable it, the router will become unstable and becomes nonresponsive (like I can no longer log onto the router web interface) very quickly after every reboot of the router (I would have to reboot the router through manually unplugging the power cord). On top of that, even when I can access the router's web interface, the router cannot get a pppoe connection, even if I press the connect button, nothing will happen. As a consequence, I've left the router's firewall on.

at the moment, I've only encountered the above problems (besides the ever lingering problem of my wan port dying during heavy transfers and BT when I've already set the speed on my router)....

Anyway, could they be bugs on the firmware or am I doing something incorrectly?

Thanks for your assistance in this matter =)

Oleg
12-10-2004, 19:28
1. I like to manually set the IP addresses for my Wireless cards according to their MAC to have control over the port forward settings. For my case, I've set the IP address of my wireless card to 192.168.1.33 but somehow, it gets assigned to 192.168.1.66. Even though this is so, the Port forwarding seems to still work even when I've entered .33 for the local destination in the virtual server settings.

well, post dhcp status here it should contain leases info. Also, check the /etc/ethers file and post it here. Your client probably requests old IP address from the router, so manual assignment does not work (this is mostly happens with Linux).

Oleg
12-10-2004, 19:31
BUGBUG: Firewall fails to load if "Logged packets type" is set to other than None.
I'm suggesting everyone to set this setting to none for now.

rwhitby
13-10-2004, 12:44
[This message is being posted through compiled-from-source 1.8.1.7-1 firmware.]

A note for others - you can't use an existing flashfs just by making sure that everything is in post-boot before you flash with the new custom firmware. The flashfs is untarred in a new place (/tmp/local instead of the old /mnt/ramfs), so you need to recreate the flashfs, save and commit it after you have loaded the new firmware.

But what if you have quite a bit in there, most of which will work with the new firmware. Then what you have to do is:

tar -C /tmp -xzvf /dev/mtdblock/4
mv /tmp/mnt/ramfs/local/* /tmp/local/

Then you can edit the files to make sure it will all work with the new firmware, and then flashfs save and flashfs commit.

-- Rod

phedny
14-10-2004, 12:59
I can't get 1.8.1.7-1 compiled. I followed to procedure from the website, but there seems to be a missing /.config file.

Am I doing something wrong?

[ ! -d /root/broadcom/src/router/zebra ] || [ -d /root/broadcom/src/gateway/zebra ] || \
tar -C /root/broadcom/src/router -cf - zebra | tar -C /root/broadcom/src/gateway -xf -
[ ! -f zebra.diff ] || patch -d /root/broadcom/src/gateway -p1 < zebra.diff
[ ! -d /root/broadcom/src/router/rt2460 ] || [ -d /root/broadcom/src/gateway/rt2460 ] || \
tar -C /root/broadcom/src/router -cf - rt2460 | tar -C /root/broadcom/src/gateway -xf -
[ ! -f rt2460.diff ] || patch -d /root/broadcom/src/gateway -p1 < rt2460.diff
[ -f /root/broadcom/src/gateway/Makefile ] || cp /root/broadcom/src/router/Makefile /root/broadcom/src/gateway && patch -d /root/broadcom/src/gateway -p1 < Makefile.diff
patching file Makefile
make -C /root/broadcom/src/gateway/rc clean
make[1]: Entering directory `/root/broadcom/src/gateway/rc'
Makefile:15: /.config: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/.config'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/broadcom/src/gateway/rc'
make: *** [custom] Error 2
root@vampire:~/broadcom/src/wl500g-1.8.1.7-1#

Oleg
14-10-2004, 13:25
Yes, Rod has already sent patches to me, you need to add
make -C $(TOP) .config

Holli
14-10-2004, 13:56
I can`t login with my old password and the username admin or root!

Can somebody say me how I can login into the admininterface

MSG
14-10-2004, 14:55

Try admin/admin, the default factory one

phedny
14-10-2004, 15:11
Yes, Rod has already sent patches to me, you need to add
make -C $(TOP) .config
Where do I add it, since I tried some places in the Makefile, but it doesn't quite work...

WlanMan
14-10-2004, 15:36
Hi

The Status dialog of the Printer is emtpy, no "disconnected" anymore.
I will try later what he does if i connect one.
Also, the nem Uptime field is not realy nice, better would be splitting it into a time and an uptime field.
And a standart way to dissable asus printing and not-used jetdirekt printing queres (lpt) to gain more free ram is a good idea i think :)
Could ip_conntrack_max be raised to 4096 by default ?

Greets

Antiloop
14-10-2004, 15:36

reset to factory defaults first, after that turn of your wl500g and turn it on

then login to http://192.168.1.1/ and use 'admin' as password AND name

Holli
14-10-2004, 15:55
Hmm nothing!

I try to reset the AP and install the 1.8.x firmware again.

Oleg
14-10-2004, 17:51
Where do I add it, since I tried some places in the Makefile, but it doesn't quite work...
Well, latest Makefile is attached to this message.

Holli
15-10-2004, 08:24
I have now reset the AP and I can login! :)
But then I change some things in the administration (I think the last where the de/activation of the Firewall for the WAN Port) and now I can`t login into the Webinterface, SSH/Telnet. The AP doesen`t ping. Only the routing for LAN/WAN, and the DHCP works.
And when I reset nothing change! :confused:

monnier
15-10-2004, 16:21
UPDATE: I've updated wl500g page with new instructions (http://wl500g.dyndns.org/)

That page says "Root fs is now ext3". What does that mean?

Also can you say a few words about the customizability of this firmware compared to the previous one (IIRC, it uses a single libc which should save us at least a couple hundred KB).

Oleg
15-10-2004, 21:01
That page says "Root fs is now ext3". What does that mean?

You know, router can bootup from external usb drive with my firmware. Previously external filesystem was required to be ext2 formatted, starting with 1.8.1.7-1 ext3 used instead.

Also can you say a few words about the customizability of this firmware compared to the previous one (IIRC, it uses a single libc which should save us at least a couple hundred KB).
It's harder to alter boot process, cause it's no longer script driven, but yes, it's build with uclibc only, so there is still free space in the flash (~400k).

hugo
15-10-2004, 21:40
Oleg,

Sorry if you consider this as cross posting, as I explained the idea in the wl hdd forum.

Do you think it would be possible to add to the firmware the ide folder from the 2.4.20/kernel/drivers subfolder of a WL HDD firmware?
Would it allow us to do some instmod on the files to mount hard drive controler support for wl-hdd using your firmware?

In case you don't have them at hand, I'm just posting the ide folder content here. Did I overlook something in my reasoning?

xlephant
16-10-2004, 13:30
2. I can't seem to disable the firewall on the router. Every time I try to disable it, the router will become unstable and becomes nonresponsive (like I can no longer log onto the router web interface) very quickly after every reboot of the router (I would have to reboot the router through manually unplugging the power cord). On top of that, even when I can access the router's web interface, the router cannot get a pppoe connection, even if I press the connect button, nothing will happen. As a consequence, I've left the router's firewall on.

same at my device. maybe it is a bug.

Oleg
16-10-2004, 17:53
Do you think it would be possible to add to the firmware the ide folder from the 2.4.20/kernel/drivers subfolder of a WL HDD firmware?
Would it allow us to do some instmod on the files to mount hard drive controler support for wl-hdd using your firmware?

No binaries are included to the firmware at the moment. These modules should be recompiled from scratch and be carefully tested BEFORE inclusion to firmware.
I've no wl-hdd hardware, so I'm unable to play with them. You may want to flash wl500g firmware and play with it yourself.
Also, at the moment wl300/500 firmware sources does not contain wl-hdd submodel, so it's needed to alter Makefiles adding wl-hdd and adjusting existing thing to exclude ide drivers from other firmwares. I do not want include ide modules to the wl500g flash due to size limitations.

Oleg
16-10-2004, 20:09
Hi
Could ip_conntrack_max be raised to 4096 by default ?

Added an option to 1.8.1.7-2 web iface for this setting.

kjetil
17-10-2004, 08:06
Hello.

Thanks Oleg for making the only firmware in 1.8.xx that works with WPA-PSK in WDS mode!

But I have a problem with this one that I haven't experienced on other firmwares.

When I haven't used my computer for a while in wireless mode, My ASUS router will not give me DHCP adress. It find my ASUS, but won't get an DHCP.
I tried to set a manual IP adress just for testing if this was the DHCP server in my ASUS was in a hang, but I could not contact my ASUS even then.
I also have a computer connected to the LAN port, and this one works fine. No problem getting DHCP and no problem connecting to internet.

When I reboot my ASUS through the web interface everything is ok.

kjetil

xlephant
17-10-2004, 12:26
hi oleg,

what about wondershaper? is there something wrong?
did you already read my msg on this thread:

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=752&page=3&pp=15

thx a lot

Oleg
17-10-2004, 12:48
hi oleg,

what about wondershaper? is there something wrong?
did you already read my msg on this thread:

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=752&page=3&pp=15

thx a lot
Answered in the original thread.

Oleg
17-10-2004, 12:49
I tried to set a manual IP adress just for testing if this was the DHCP server in my ASUS was in a hang, but I could not contact my ASUS even then.

This is not a DHCP problem, looks like WPA problem. Try switching to WEP only.

WlanMan
17-10-2004, 15:35
Hi

If you try to dissable the wlan radio in the status and log / wiress page, you get an error from syslog
Oct 17 16:27:34 WL500g user.warn klogd: Attempt to kill tasklet from interrupt
Can you make a page in the status and log that shows the stupid_ftp.log just like system log does ??

Greets

Pirat
18-10-2004, 11:03
Hello!

Is THIS PROBLEM (http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=434) solved in this FW? ???

Holli
18-10-2004, 16:17

same at my device. maybe it is a bug.

Hello

The problem is by me the same too!

The Problem is, I can`t reset the AP! (The Power LED ist blinking, but nothing do.)
(And after I disable the firewall I write the config in the flash)

What can I now do?

Antiloop
18-10-2004, 16:23
Hello

The problem is by me the same too!

The Problem is, I can`t reset the AP! (The Power LED ist blinking, but nothing do.)
(And after I disable the firewall I write the config in the flash)

What can I now do?
do a reset to defaults when the AP is powered on and press&hold restore button until powerled flashes sometime (1-2 times)

but when powered off and holding the restore button while powering on it goes into firmware restoration mode (blinking powerled)

bumper
04-11-2004, 10:43
Well, the router still dies on me, and even more frequently now it seems compared to the ASUS 1.8 version....

Strangely enough, I can see the router still talking and synching with the NTP server at times when no device can connect through it (wifi to lan etc. remains working) and all I have to do to re-establish connection is disconnect and reconnect the wan port...

any suggestions or anything I can do to help?

thx,
Pat

Antiloop
04-11-2004, 11:24
Well, the router still dies on me, and even more frequently now it seems compared to the ASUS 1.8 version....

Strangely enough, I can see the router still talking and synching with the NTP server at times when no device can connect through it (wifi to lan etc. remains working) and all I have to do to re-establish connection is disconnect and reconnect the wan port...

any suggestions or anything I can do to help?

thx,
Pat
please use firmware 1.8.2.4 this seems to solve WAN port issue

Styno
04-11-2004, 11:24
Try this one: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=1101

jup
13-12-2004, 14:55
I really like how this firmware looks, I tried it on 500bv2 and it mostly it seemed to work. But I did run into issue that I was not able to change wifi channel. I could modify it through web inerface, router remembered it and claimed it's broadcasting on selected channel, but wireless scan from my laptop always showed it as broadcasting at channel 1. Using card in monitor mode on various channels confirmed that, regardless of setting through web interface, it's indeed always broadcasting on channel 1.

I wonder if anybody else has tried this firmware on 500bv2 and mentioned similar issues, or if it's just me. I tried reseting to default settings, without success. When I switched back to official 1.8.1.9, everything seemed to work just fine again, with scans reporting correct channel.

edit: And yes, I did use v2 version of the firmware. :)