PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Error with Word documents

pim
03-10-2004, 21:20
When I want to save a Word document after some editing, more often than not I will get an error mesage saying that Word cannot save the document because it has no acces to it. At the same time the name of the file in the title of the Word Window is changed to the temporaly file name (e.g. ~WRLxxxx.tmp).
It then asks me if I still want to save it (under another name). If I say yes, it ask me for a new file name. When I give a new file name, I'll get the error that message that the Disk is Full.
I allready lost two documents this way :(

The WL-HDD is not full and the rights are set to W/R.

I never have a problem moving and copying files with the Windows Explorer.

Has anyone a clue what is going wrong?

Thanks

Pim

brubber
03-10-2004, 22:11
I don't, however you may try the following until someone comes up with a proper solution:

Save the document on a local disk

Then choose "Save As", and save it to the WL-HDD

For met this works when I use my WXp laptop in an ancient Novell network which gives me similar prob's when saving.

pim
03-10-2004, 22:19
I don't, however you may try the following until someone comes up with a proper solution:

Save the document on a local disk

Then choose "Save As", and save it to the WL-HDD.

This work around works for me, but how do I explain it to my wife :). She lost one of the two documents mentioned and she (and my self as well) start doubting the reliability of the WL-HDD.

petgun
03-10-2004, 23:06
...I'll get the error that message that the Disk is Full.
I allready lost two documents this way :(

The WL-HDD is not full...

..the Firmware is more than horrible buggy! Try to copy a _small_ file to the WL-HDD and take a look how much space it use on the HD...don't wonder: on my 60GB Tosihiba is that _512kb_ on a 4GB IBM 64kb
No, that's not a joke :-(
I think 16Bit addressing instead of 48Bit like it should be...
We all should send our WL-HDD's back to ASUS!!

cu,
peter

brubber
04-10-2004, 00:40
This work around works for me, but how do I explain it to my wife :). She lost one of the two documents mentioned and she (and my self as well) start doubting the reliability of the WL-HDD.

Actually I think this is more a WXp then a WL-HDD issue (I have similar problems saving files to a an ancient (4.x) Novell server), however this only happens when the OS is WXp. I' am also using OfficeXp on that machine, so it may just as well be an OfficeXp issue. When I connect to the same network with a W2K or W98 workstation the problem doesn't exist. Perhaps there is some setting in Xp / OfficeXp that should be adjusted,I just never looked into that because it's not a big problem for me. (You get used to the workaround ver quickly, event though it's annoying).

About the lost docs, you may still find the ...TMP's somewhere, just open with Word and your doc is back. Whenever you have this problem again you can always choose "Save as" to ave the TMP file as a normal Word doc on a local disk.

If you find a good solution for this problem please inform me (just post it here or send me a private message trough this forum.

petgun
04-10-2004, 06:56
hi,
nobody here who understand what that means, that the WL-HDD only use 16Bit addressing for the HD-Cluster/FAT?
Try to copy a Folder...for example the WL-HDD Sourcecode Folder from the CD with 588MB/23173 files and take a look to your WL-HDD...how much HD-Space is used? :mad: :mad:
That is a very serious bug for me which makes the WL-HDD useless and ASUS should fix that asap....but i have less hope!
Is there anybody who can confirm that behaviour?

cu,
peter

hval
02-11-2004, 12:05
hi,
nobody here who understand what that means, that the WL-HDD only use 16Bit addressing for the HD-Cluster/FAT?
Try to copy a Folder...for example the WL-HDD Sourcecode Folder from the CD with 588MB/23173 files and take a look to your WL-HDD...how much HD-Space is used? :mad: :mad:
That is a very serious bug for me which makes the WL-HDD useless and ASUS should fix that asap....but i have less hope!
Is there anybody who can confirm that behaviour?

cu,
peter

I have installed a 40Gb Seagate hdd and the cluster size is 1Mb, 512kb files uses 1mb on the disk... This is totaly unexceptable!

JOCKYW2001
02-11-2004, 12:25
WL-HDD runs Samba 2.0.7 which, amongst others, has this problem. I compiled Samba 3.0.7 which solves the problem plus a lot more. I am in the process of preparing a 1.1.2.8 based custom firmware.

hval
02-11-2004, 13:13
I formatted my disk with a firewire external case with a 20gb fat32 partition
with a 16kb cluster size. I copied a 1kb file through the firewire interface which occupied 16kb on the disk. I placed the disk in the wl-hdd case and
accessed it through the lan and the file reported to occupy 512kb which should be the cluster size for a fat16 partition of this size. I copied an other file 1kb size which also rep. 512kb and placed the drive back to the firewire
case, as expected the new 1kb size only occupied 16kb.
Should be a minor bug of samba which calculates wrong cluster size...

genious
22-01-2005, 20:04
I have the same problems with Word and Excel files. After working a few minutes, it isnīt possible to save the document. But the tmp file is saved on the WL-HDD. Strange. I have this behaviour not only under WinXP. Also under W2K.
So what can this be? Is this fixed in an new custom firmware. (Jockey anounced this, or?)
Is it definetely caused by this old Samba-Version?

Antiloop
23-01-2005, 15:43
I have the same problems with Word and Excel files. After working a few minutes, it isnīt possible to save the document. But the tmp file is saved on the WL-HDD. Strange. I have this behaviour not only under WinXP. Also under W2K.
So what can this be? Is this fixed in an new custom firmware. (Jockey anounced this, or?)
Is it definetely caused by this old Samba-Version?

have you this thread already? 1230