PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : How to save current firmware?

JOCKYW2001
30-09-2004, 10:51
I like to upgrade to 1.1.2.5 and later build a firm with NFSv3 support.

Before flashing a new firm I'd like to save the current firmware. What are the steps to do this?

Thx, JockyW

PS: On ftp://taiwan.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/wireless/WL-HDD/ you find GPL1.1.2.4

petgun
01-10-2004, 11:25
hi,

I like to upgrade to 1.1.2.5 and later build a firm with NFSv3 support.

Before flashing a new firm I'd like to save the current firmware. What are the steps to do this?...

i also like to know that...the 1.1.2.2 is _very_ buggy and I explore more bugs every day I _try_ to use my WL-HDD...:-( Without your announcment to build NFSv3 support, I would have given up....which such a buggy shi., ASUS will lose its reputation...

cu,
peter

JOCKYW2001
01-10-2004, 23:22
I succesfully flashed 1.1.2.5. No chinese characters :)

But also no improvements and none of my burning problems solved :(

For example:
1. Mounting a share from WinXP works (R/W performance ~15mbs, not that fast). Mounting the same share on my satbox works, but I can't read nor write. Directorylisting is the only thing that works. Mount command used:
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.220/part1 /var/movies -o user=guest,password=none,domain=mygroup,unc=//192.168.1.220/part1,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,rw

2. From the web manager page I issue the following system command:
cat /dev/mtd/1 > /tmp/harddisk/part1/mtd1.img
The web manager page returns with the statusbox filled and the httpd doesn't respond anymore.

In the near future I try to build a customized 1.1.2.4 firm from the GPL sourcecode.

If anyone has clues for above problems please respond.

JockyW

brubber
02-10-2004, 04:40
I succesfully flashed 1.1.2.5. No chinese characters :)

But also no improvements and none of my burning problems solved :(

For example:
1. Mounting a share from WinXP works (R/W performance ~15mbs, not that fast). Mounting the same share on my satbox works, but I can't read nor write. Directorylisting is the only thing that works. Mount command used:
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.220/part1 /var/movies -o user=guest,password=none,domain=mygroup,unc=//192.168.1.220/part1,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,rw

2. From the web manager page I issue the following system command:
The web manager page returns with the statusbox filled and the httpd doesn't respond anymore.

In the near future I try to build a customized 1.1.2.4 firm from the GPL sourcecode.

If anyone has clues for above problems please respond.

JockyW

Seems to me this is more a SAMBA / CIFS issue (config / bug?)

Maybe you can get an answer on the forum where this topic was posted:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux-cifs-client/2004-August/000331.html

and some background info on CIFS: http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci921657,00.html

Oleg
02-10-2004, 09:07

This will not work, you need to place everything to brackets, like this:

(cat /dev/mtd/0 > /tmp/harddisk/part1/pmon)
(cat /dev/mtd/1 > /tmp/harddisk/part1/flash)

petgun
02-10-2004, 09:33
Hi,

Seems to me this is more a SAMBA / CIFS issue (config / bug?)..

I also think so.
@all
Is there anybody who use the WL-HDD with CIFS/Samba/Linux because of missing NFS-Support ?
Is there a customized Kernel for a WL-XXX with NFS-Server and is that a performance boost ?

cu,
peter

JOCKYW2001
03-10-2004, 21:16
This will not work, you need to place everything to brackets, like this:

(cat /dev/mtd/0 > /tmp/harddisk/part1/pmon)
(cat /dev/mtd/1 > /tmp/harddisk/part1/flash)

No, doesn't work :(

Oleg
04-10-2004, 10:15
strange. yet another option - save full busybox to your drive and start telnet, just like described in other posts.

JOCKYW2001
04-10-2004, 12:41
strange. yet another option - save full busybox to your drive and start telnet, just like described in other posts.

Unfortunately doesn't work either. All files with right permissions are in /tmp, the symlink as well. But telnetd doesn't run :(

Antiloop
04-10-2004, 13:15
Unfortunately doesn't work either. All files with right permissions are in /tmp, the symlink as well. But telnetd doesn't run :(

hm.. telnet runs here fine.. at wl-hdd

if i have some time tonight i'll try to pack the shit for you all

petgun
04-10-2004, 14:13

oh, thank you very much! Please also take a look to the FileSystem/ClusterSize/FAT...there must be something wrong imo...it should be 48Bit for Addressing but it is 16Bit...that is absolutley useless and waist very much Space on the HD.

Thank you very much,
peter

JOCKYW2001
04-10-2004, 14:52

Yeah, works here also now. This shitty M$ IE had downloaded the bins as textfiles :rolleyes:

JOCKYW2001
04-10-2004, 15:47
oh, thank you very much! Please also take a look to the FileSystem/ClusterSize/FAT...there must be something wrong imo...it should be 48Bit for Addressing but it is 16Bit...that is absolutley useless and waist very much Space on the HD.

Thank you very much,
peter

It's a Windows bug. M$ can not determine the correct used diskspace for whatever reason.

If I show the properties of all directories and files on my 40GB part1 partition then WinXP says: 599 files, 144 folders, size= 716MB, size on disk=1.23GB

Now I can telnet into the WL-HDD :) and df shows:
40316328 1k-blocks of which 736136 are used which is ~719MB

JockyW

Styno
04-10-2004, 15:55
It's a Windows bug. M$ can not determine the correct used diskspace for whatever reason.

It can also be a samba bug as well...

petgun
04-10-2004, 16:06

If I show the properties of all directories and files on my 40GB part1 partition then WinXP says: 599 files, 144 folders, size= 716MB, size on disk=1.23GB

Now I can telnet into the WL-HDD :) and df shows:
40316328 1k-blocks of which 736136 are used which is ~719MB

thank you for the answer. That sounds good, but I fear Bill Gates won't fix that bug for me ;-) and it makes the WL-HDD useless for many small files...you'll get a stupid Disk Full Message which is not true....any idea?
Is it possible, that it also has something to do with CIFS/SMB/Samba and it's not really a MS$-bug? I look forward to your NFSv3-Implementation :-)
Did you also try 'df' from Linux with a CIFS-Client...i'll try it tonight from my DBox...I remember it was not ok....but I'm not sure...
<edit>
...from Linux with a CIFS-Client (DBox) 'df' shows right results...so filesystem seems to be ok.
</edit>

cu,
peter

JOCKYW2001
04-10-2004, 16:24
It can also be a samba bug as well...
Yes, you are quite right

petgun
04-10-2004, 22:05
hi,
if I try to delete such a folder with many small files (>20000), after a while I always get the message 'Network is not availiable' and the filesystem is inconsistence :-( I tried that several times always with the same result.
In that way the WL-HDD is not useable and i look forward to the NFS-Server (maybe as a replacement for Samba)...i think that will be a great step not only for Linux-user. I already installed a NFS-Client on my PC...SFU for Windows (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/) from MS$ which is totally free and _perfect_ integrated in Windows.
cu,
peter

<edit>
add Link to SFU
</edit>

Styno
04-10-2004, 22:19
Are your files stored correctly on the harddisk when you use the embedded FTP server? If so I really think this is a Samba problem.

petgun
04-10-2004, 22:25
Are your files stored correctly on the harddisk when you use the embedded FTP server? If so I really think this is a Samba problem.
..i think you are right...but with what you called 'stupid ftp' it was impossible (only for me?) to store nested directories with FlashFXP or another FTP-Program

cu,
peter

Styno
04-10-2004, 22:55
The FTP server' name is 'Stupid-ftp'.

On WL-500g you are able to create subdirectories using the FTP server, you just have to create them one-by-one. Don't know if this works with WL-HDD though.

I use SmartFTP as a client, which works great.

petgun
05-10-2004, 06:00
hi,

On WL-500g you are able to create subdirectories using the FTP server, you just have to create them one-by-one.

that works also on the WL-HDD....but that is really stupid and to hard if you try to copy 23172 files in 1913 folders :D I wonder very much, that ASUS did not implement a full qualified ftp-server...should be very easy..

cu,
peter

Styno
05-10-2004, 08:29
Yes, well, compile a full featured FTP server and bob's your uncle m8. It's on my wishlist as well, but I'm playing too much games lately :p (Just enjoying my ADSL). Just make sure you post it back here so other folks can enjoy it too :)

You can also try to create a PHP script which does all the work for you...

petgun
05-10-2004, 08:55
hi,
a wishlist is a very good idea! Is ASUS reading/posting here in the forum?
I only read that ASUS is not responding to personal Feature Requests or/and ignore commiting Bugs. What you think about an open letter to ASUS here in the forum?

cu,
peter

PS:my points for the wishlist:

1: Telnet-Server
2: full qualified FTP-Server
3: Fixing Samba (for the Windows User)
4: NFSv3 Server
5: direct mounting for USB-Storage-Devices (no autocopy!)
5: ????

please feel free and add your points to the list.

brubber
05-10-2004, 20:38
[QUOTE=petgun]hi,
QUOTE]

This may help fixing SAMBA

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2001-May/014178.html

petgun
05-10-2004, 21:02
[QUOTE=petgun]hi,
QUOTE]

This may help fixing SAMBA

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2001-May/014178.html

thank you! I think that is a very good hint and i hope Oleg/Antiloop/JOCKYW2001/??? will try that asap and improve the firmware for us..and ASUS ;-)

cu,
peter

Antiloop
05-10-2004, 23:42
to add some points..

the WL-HDD is able to serve as printserver too

i just flashed a 1.8.1.7pre3 into it and the thing booted normally but ofcourse acted as an wl500g but the ethernet port is the WAN port then so you have to login wirelessy otherwise you can't access it because of the firewall

some thinking of me, perhaps it's possible to remove the FTP from the firmware and put a firmware on the HDD itselve
this should enable us (ofcourse memory use is still a point!) to implement bigger packages

but this is still future talk, my WL-HDD MUST carry first a 3,5inch hd and I still don't have a 2,5inch to 3,5inch convertor..

petgun
06-10-2004, 07:57
hi,
:) super, sounds great! Did you also try to mount a USB-Storage Device?
cu,
peter

Antiloop
06-10-2004, 08:20
hi,
:) super, sounds great! Did you also try to mount a USB-Storage Device?
cu,
peter

well in fact the WL-HDD does this already.. only at moment of inserting it runs a script 'usbcp' I think

and what that program is doing you can imagine yourself already now I guess..

meaning that you can create manual (via telnet of webinterface) a mount point to /tmp/harddrive/part1/usbstorage for example

petgun
06-10-2004, 11:38
hi,

well in fact the WL-HDD does this already.. only at moment of inserting it runs a script 'usbcp' I think
..and the horrible autocopy starts which don't work properly :-(

meaning that you can create manual (via telnet of webinterface) a mount point to /tmp/harddrive/part1/usbstorage for example

...i'll try that...but before i have to wait nearly 40 minutes (and pray that the WL-HDD dont crash) until autocopy has finnished and then i have to delete many Folders with garbage..:-( I prefer to wait until i know how to deactivate autocopy forever...I will search for the script 'usbcp' to do that..

cu,
peter

JOCKYW2001
06-10-2004, 12:04
hi,

..and the horrible autocopy starts which don't work properly :-(
I prefer to wait until i know how to deactivate autocopy forever...I will search for the script 'usbcp' to do that..

cu,
peter

I will switch that annoying "feature" off and add a mount

PS: the stick should not be formatted in fat, since I had to disable fat support in the kernel due to the fact that it didn't compile with fat support enabled ...

petgun
06-10-2004, 12:26
I will switch that annoying "feature" off and add a mount
:-) cool...

PS: the stick should not be formatted in fat, since I had to disable fat support in the kernel due to the fact that it didn't compile with fat support enabled ...

..oh, that could be a problem because I think most of us use a USB-Stick for Dataexchange...or will the stick be readable on any PC?

cu,
peter