PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : ? WL-HDD connection to ADSL modem?

gerardwr
27-09-2004, 13:53
I use an ADSL modem (Alcatel/Thompson Speedtouch 510 with 1 Ethernet port) for my Internet connection, directly connected to 1 of my PC's. As a result I can use the Internet only on this PC.

My computers (2 desktops, 1 notebook and 1 Ipaq) are all equipped with WLAN adapters, and connected in ad-hoc mode (so without accesspoint/router).

To facilitate the wireless use of the ADSL connection from each of my computers I am planning to buy a wireless accesspoint/router connected to my ADSL modem.

As I require also a network attached disk I am considering the ASUS WL-500G or the ASUS WL-HDD. The WL-HDD would be perfect for me, provided it can be connected to the ADSL modem.

I know the WL-500G is suitable for the job, but I prefer the WL-HDD as it has the network disk "inside".

Reading the forum I get the impression that the WL-HDD performs also as an AP and Router, just as the WL-500, so that is no reason to opt for the WL-500.

But I have not found an explicite confirmation whether the Ethernet connection on the WL-HDD can be used for the "uplink" connection to a ADSL-modem, to be used by the wireless clients. Perhaps it is just a "downlink" for connecting clients.

Anyone with hands-on experience in this respect (antiloop perhaps?).

Kind regards from gerard.

Antiloop
27-09-2004, 15:23
ok, you can use the wl-hdd as 'router' i'm not sure which things are disabled or enabled by default and at the moment their are no custom firmwares yet

if you want something to have tested ask me and i'll try to test it for you

i've tested this setup a week ago:

Internetline connected to WL500g in hybrid WDS mode

WL-HDD connected via Hybrid WDS(i disabled DHCP at wl-hdd) to WL500g (no wires!)
Asus Notebook connected through wire to the WL-HDD and i had access to the network/internet

gerardwr
28-09-2004, 09:02
Hi,

Thanks for your gracious offer to test things for me, but I don’t want to burden you with the fact that ASUS is not very informative on the WL-HDD. Your web site contains the best info I could find, so I thought to take a change and pose my question in the forum.

I interpret your network as follows:

Notebook---wired -------WL-HDD -- wireless – WL-500--- ADSL

This is the ultimate network/Internet setup I would like to realize.

PC 1 -------- wireless ----+
!
PC 2 --------wireless -----+---wireless ---WL-HDD -- wired -- Speedtouch510 --- ADSL
!
Notebook -- wireless ----+
!
Ipaq ---------wireless ----+

In your setup it would look like this:

Notebook---wireless -------WL-HDD – wired---– WL-500--- ADSL

As the WL:-HDD is designed to use the wireless part for the “downlink” to the clients, and in your setup the wireless part also works as “uplink” (to the WL500+modem), I can imagine that the wired connection also supports both “uplink” and “downlink”.

Perhaps I should just buy the thing and give it a go.

What do you think?

Kind regards from Gerard (Boekel)

Antiloop
28-09-2004, 09:10
yes Notebook---wireless -------WL-HDD – wired---– WL-500g--- CABLE :)

works for me 2..
but do you own a wl500g or similair yet?
if yes than it's for sure no problem

what about the place btw?

gerardwr
28-09-2004, 09:19
Nope, do not own a WL500 and if my planned setup with the WL-HDD works I believe I don't need one for my requirements. I believe the role of your WL-500 can be performed with the WL-HDD+Speedtouch combination.

I'll go out and purchase a WL-HDD and have a go, and I will report back if it works (and if it does not work).

Thanks for your support.

Kind regards from Gerard.

Antiloop
28-09-2004, 09:37
Nope, do not own a WL500 and if my planned setup with the WL-HDD works I believe I don't need one for my requirements. I believe the role of your WL-500 can be performed with the WL-HDD+Speedtouch combination.

I'll go out and purchase a WL-HDD and have a go, and I will report back if it works (and if it does not work).

Thanks for your support.

Kind regards from Gerard.
if your speedtouch can function as 'router' yes it will work
then you can also disable the dhcp server from the wl-hdd as the speedtouch does that job already

gerardwr
28-09-2004, 09:51
Yes, my Thompson Speedtouch 510 (supplied by KPN as Ethernet ADSL modem) functions (according specs) as a router, DHCP server and supports NAT.

With the addition of the WL-HDD my network would be complete.

Thanks for your help.