PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : [Some help Needed] - I'll buy WL-500gP with this in mind...

JyEMBass
01-05-2007, 18:44
Hi guys!

I've been searching this forum for soooo long and I love every feature of oleg's firmwares.

Now, I'll buy WL-500gP and I've some objectives for it:

1 - Have a permanent Hard Disk connected via USB to it (I would like to access it via windows)!
2 - I would like to create an FTP server on one of it partitions (for my friends send some files and download some files as well).
3 - I would like to use Bittorrent protocol (using utorrent ID or other [some trackers blocks other clients]).

So, with this objectives in mind (I'm a newbie @ this linux (?) command lines) I would like to know if this 3 are possible to get! :)

al37919
01-05-2007, 20:17
well, I think, your objectives are quite realistic. I'll suggest some keywords for further research:
1) yes : samba
2) yes : vsftpd
3) in principle BT is OK. However, with your specific request..., may be this will be helpful? (i'm pretty sure the new version will be in repository soon)
http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=9123

JyEMBass
01-05-2007, 21:13
well, I think, your objectives are quite realistic. I'll suggest some keywords for further research:
1) yes : samba
2) yes : vsftpd
3) in principle BT is OK. However, with your specific request..., may be this will be helpful? (i'm pretty sure the new version will be in repository soon)
http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=9123

Thanks a lot mate! :)

I'm waiting for my router :D
----

Btw, it is really necessary to format the hard drive in EXT3+swap ?

al37919
01-05-2007, 21:49
it is really necessary to format the hard drive in EXT3+swap ?

Everything depends on you :)
However, if you're going to use BT, or ed2k or other p2p software --- you need swap. If you're going to install extra packages through ipkg system you need at least ext3 (or 2) partition, because fat32 doesn't support symlinks and file permissions, and ntfs is supported only read-only. You can keep your data either on ext3, or fat32 partitions (doesn't matter), but fat32 has 2 Gb filesize limit... the rest is your choice :)))

JyEMBass
01-05-2007, 21:55
Everything depends on you :)
However, if you're going to use BT, or ed2k or other p2p software --- you need swap. If you're going to install extra packages through ipkg system you need at least ext3 (or 2) partition, because fat32 doesn't support symlinks and file permissions, and ntfs is supported only read-only. You can keep your data either on ext3, or fat32 partitions (doesn't matter), but fat32 has 2 Gb filesize limit... the rest is your choice :)))

:) nice!

And what about Samba2? Do you recommend?

Is it possible do define usernames/pw's for some friends to access my ftp?

al37919
01-05-2007, 22:30
personally I use samba2. It is enough for me. I heard if you use vista, you might need to have a look on samba3, otherwise...

as to username based ftp access --- certainly yes. There are two possible options: either just create generic system user which will be listed in /etc/passwd or use application specific users. Frankly speaking, I prefer the first way, as it is more general (it is easier to obtain info on linux user management, than on specific ftp server UM).

JyEMBass
03-05-2007, 14:04
My router arrives tommorrow :D

JyEMBass
05-05-2007, 11:35
I ppl! :)

Speedtouch Modem -- > WAN -- > Asus -- > Wireless --> PC

I'm using my Asus with an official firmware version (the last one). And there's something real strange!

When I connect to the router the speed of access (to webpages and to the config webpage [192.168.1.1]) is normal. After some minutes of use internet conection becomes slower and slower. The access to the config webpage becames slower too!

I tried with two diferent Wireless "receptors" and the problem stills here!

Any ideas?