PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Time to change firmware

QMax
04-04-2007, 18:43
Ok guys, I'm moving from original Asus to Oleg's WL500gP firmware.
I'd like to know if is possible to use an USB stick (size ?) as storage for programs and swap, and an USB HDD as media content (I'd like to build a Media Server with WIZD or MediaTomb) and downloaded files storage.
Can it be done ? Sometimes I need to remove the HDD so the USB Stick will still there with the software. Do I have to umount HDD eveytime I need to remove it, an reconnecting it later to my Asus, automount will work ?

Is there somewhere an How-To for this configuration ?

Many thanks, Max

QMax
10-04-2007, 20:57
I have just update to Oleg's firmware version 1.9.2.7-7f, all works fine now, no more disconnections or slow transfer over my LAN. Just one question: how can I change my telnet prompt to show actual full pathname (pwd) ?
If I'm now wrong it should be in /etc/profile, a w instead of a W, but I don't know how, i changed profile, flashed and rebooted, but after i have again the old prompt.

Thanks

Max

al37919
11-04-2007, 05:23
I use
export PS1="\u@\h,\w> "
in /tmp/local/root/.profile , which is homedir for root.
If you wish to change something in /etc/profile don't forget to add line /etc/profile to /tmp/local/.files . It will add this file to those stored in flashfs.

One more thing --- if you use 1.9.2.7-7g which was released just couple days ago you have a some extra sweet features. You can set a /tmp/local/sbin/ez-setup script to perform something while pushing a red button on the back of the router (e.g. unmount usb storage), and it is claimed to have support for /etc/fstab which should improve flexibility of self-mounting of the usb devices.

QMax
11-04-2007, 18:53
Wow... 1.9.2.7-7g, I've just done a forum search but there're no posts in english...
Hope someone could post some infos about, and maybe how to install it on top of 1.9.2.7-7f without reinstall the entire sets of applications (if possible).

Max

al37919
11-04-2007, 21:13
it was posted on 6/04 so may be Oleg just had no time, or what is more likely he prefers to collect some initial feedback before making this release "worldwide available", as the Russian forum seems to be the most active side. :)

The new firmware is available at http://oleg.wl500g.info/1.9.2.7-7g/ ;
Russian changelog is here http://wl500g.info/showpost.php?p=51576&postcount=7
I just want to clarify my slightly incorrect info above that /usr/local/sbin/ez-setup will be executed after keeping the red button pushed for longer than 3 sec :)

I can share my own experience of painless upgrading. To be on the safe side I did 'flashfs save'. This command created /tmp/flash.tar.gz (or something like this). This file contains the content of /tmp/local directory and files mentioned in /tmp/local/.files file. Then I copied it to outside, flashed g-firmware, copied back to the same place, executed 'flashfs commit && flashfs enable', and rebooted afterwards. Everything went OK. However, afterwards I've read Oleg's comment in response to someone's request, that it is not needed to explitly save the content of the flashfs. It is enough just to execute 'flashfs enable' after flashing of the new firmware.

Don't forget that during first boot after reflashing you have to connect by telnet as ssh will be disabled.