PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Duplicate packets

birdman
24-03-2007, 12:59
I have 1.9.2.7-7f running on a wl-500gx.

It's running in Station mode. I'm really just running it as a small system - I don't want any WiFi clients to talk to it directly (although I do, of course, want it to talk to my actual AP, and I do want the Ethernet ports to work also, so that I can talk to it without relying on wireless when changing/testing things).

If I ping it from a wired system on my network (so going via my AP) all is well.

If I ping it from a wireless laptop (Linux) all ping packets are duplicated. If I look at network traffic with wireshark I see lots of duplicate packets for normal traffic (such as a telnet connexion) too.

I'm wondering whether, for some reason, it is seeing packets directly from the laptop, and via the AP (the interfaces have all been made promiscuous...).

Has anyone else seen this? Do I need to set some specific interface options on the Asus?

Antiloop
24-03-2007, 16:30
I've seen this behaviour at my place too

situation was as following:

Internet > WL500g > 1 pc connected via Wire, rest of them notebooks wireless

then WL500gx connected via Wireless to the WL500g,
connected via wire to the WL500gx - linux server (voip) and networklaserjet

Linksys SPA962 wireless connected to the WL500g

when pinging the SPA962 from the Linux, all packets where duplicate
also communication was not possible as sound got distorted

haven't found out why it behaved like this as this was a temporary solution a month ago

birdman
26-03-2007, 22:54
Some more info on this. The number of DUP packets decreases (slightly) the greater the distance between the Asus and the laptop. When my laptop is next to my desktop system (on) the DUP packets go away. At that point it's about 1.5m from my AP and 7m (through a wall) to the Asus. But once it is about 0.5m from the desktop the high DUP rate comes back.

birdman
27-03-2007, 20:35
If I ping it from a wireless laptop (Linux) all ping packets are duplicated. If I look at network traffic with wireshark I see lots of duplicate packets for normal traffic (such as a telnet connexion) too.Well, I can get rid of the DUPs in ping if I switch off promiscuous mode on the Asus wireless ("wl promisc 0"): I don't need it as I'm in station mode. This also greatly cuts down greatly the CP usage by the ksoftirqd_CPU0 process when ftpd_topfield is working (from ca. 40% each to ca. 60%/12%). (And I can still use the wired ports for emergency config connexions)
Mind you - wireshark still sees my laptop sending duplicate packets for normal traffic. So some more work to do.