PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : flashfs - required?

patrickquek
20-03-2007, 09:35
Hi,

I noticed that the use of "flashfs" was indicated as required in the forum for the WL-500g's in order that the changes are committed to flash.

flashfs save && flashfs commit && flashfs enable && reboot

However i didn't find any mention of it in the WL-700ge forum. I assume this is not required then? If not, is there a reason why? I assumed the 500 & 700 are relatively similar devices except for the harddisk, CPU speed and flash size.

Thanks!
Patrick

back2basic
20-03-2007, 15:51
Hi,

I noticed that the use of "flashfs" was indicated as required in the forum for the WL-500g's in order that the changes are committed to flash.

flashfs save && flashfs commit && flashfs enable && reboot

However i didn't find any mention of it in the WL-700ge forum. I assume this is not required then? If not, is there a reason why? I assumed the 500 & 700 are relatively similar devices except for the harddisk, CPU speed and flash size.

Thanks!
Patrick

So complete other devices :) wl700 has a diffrent broadcom chip inside & other wifi and has 64MB ram
on asus firmware it is using nvram and on openwrt it use config-files

grtzz

patrickquek
20-03-2007, 16:48
So complete other devices :) wl700 has a diffrent broadcom chip inside & other wifi and has 64MB ram
on asus firmware it is using nvram and on openwrt it use config-files

grtzz

Nod nod, thanks for the info but i'm not sure if you answered my question, or maybe i didn't understand you :-)

So is it required to use flashfs on the 700ge to commit changes?

Thanks!
Patrick

kfurge
21-03-2007, 00:34
I'm not really sure what you're getting at either...

All of the wl700ge configuration settings are stored in nvram (non-volatile RAM) not flash. Only the bootloader and kernel are stored in flash. All other applications are stored on a read-only cramfs.

From what I understand, OpenWRT used to use nvram also to store configuration information, but has since switched to configuration files since not all supported routers/chipsets have nvram for storage.

- K.C.