PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Upgrade harddisc with a larger one

fvds
27-02-2007, 08:04
Hi All,

I would like to upgrade the original internal drive (160 Gb) by a larger harddisc. How can I do this and is it possible to copy the original contents of the 160 GB to the new larger harddisc.

Thanks in advance, Frank

n00ben
27-02-2007, 09:18
you copy everything from the original harddrive to your stationary pc through lan, then replace the drive, setup the router and copy the content back

/regards
Henrik

fvds
27-02-2007, 12:48
Nooben, thanks for your answer. But when I build in an empty harddisc, the router isn't functioning anymore. I hear the harddisc start spinning, my PC gets an IP address from the router but further nothing happens. The configuration screen is not reachable etc..

Must I press some buttons on the router for a certain time :confused:

Frank

gratitude182
27-02-2007, 13:13
try to install the firmware aslike there is written (steps 1-12)

http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=6266

grat182

kfurge
28-02-2007, 03:58
For sure you'll have to upload the firmware image to the router.

The .nas file from Asus contains both a flash component (which you don't need) and a HDD filesystem component (which you do need).

There are two small partitions at beginning of the drive which store all of the router's "firmware". Obviously they're not present on a new HDD.

- K.C.

fvds
28-02-2007, 20:21
I installed the new harddisc, and tried to upload a new image but could not succeed (tried the kfurge 2a version and orginal asus 1.0.4.6). But both result in the Firmware Restoration tool with the errormessage:
ERROR: Transfer failed: 10054

Any Idea what is causing the above transfer failure. The flash-part of the firmware should be fine (when installing the old hd the router runs fine again), so is it maybe possible to format and/or program the filesystem only?

Thanks again for all the support, Frank

kfurge
02-03-2007, 03:03
I'll try installing a new HDD in a router with a serial console attached this weekend and let you know what I find. I know from reading this forum that others have installed larger HDDs, maybe they'll chime in.

- K.C.

back2basic
02-03-2007, 10:08
When I started testing with Openwrt I replace my hdd with anothor one. when I went back to the asus firmware because I f*cked up I deleted all partitions on the hdd then I flashed the .trx image over tftp after that I rebooted and flashed the frmware 1.0.4.2.nas the wl700ge then builds the new system make sure nothing is attached to usb when doing this
the images to flash can be found here http://back2basic.shacknet.nu/WL700Ge/drupal/?q=node/54
I think the asus firmware is programmed to build a new system if it is not refeirs

kfurge
09-03-2007, 02:39
Just to close the loop, putting in a new HDD was as easy as:

1) Remove and replace HDD
2) Turn on router
3) Reflash router
4) Done

Took all of 10 minutes from start to finish.

- K.C.