PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : qmail?

benjerry
06-09-2004, 16:26
Hi there.
Would it be possible to run some mailservice like qmail? I'm afraid that I'm a total nobody concerning linux.
With a pop3 and a www server added I would be completely satisfied. :D

Oleg
06-09-2004, 16:46
Buy a PC, install whatever you need. :D Really.

benjerry
06-09-2004, 16:50
fuck. that's what I was trying to avoid. :(

monnier
06-09-2004, 18:09
Would it be possible to run some mailservice like qmail?

I'm sure it's possible, but I'm not sure it would work well enough to be desirable. One problem among others is the lack of stable storage. You'd need an external disk (connected via USB) to store the email messages. Flashfs is out because it's much too small and should not be modified too often (you can only write to a given flash block up to about 100000 times before it goes bad).

benjerry
06-09-2004, 20:12
I'm sure it's possible, but I'm not sure it would work well enough to be desirable. One problem among others is the lack of stable storage. You'd need an external disk (connected via USB) to store the email messages.

Yes, I was thinking of using an USB drive for that purpose.

Problem is that I don't have a Linux install, so it's probably going to be difficult to develop anything (beside that I don't know anything of Linux :rolleyes: ).

I installed Cygwin under W2k and I succeeded to do a trial compile/install until it came to creating a directory structure. Total size of all(66) executable files is 844K.