PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : DHCP renewal difficulties and connection drops

Thorz
29-08-2004, 08:51
After passing for several problems including the infamous "WAN port dies" issue which I fixed with setting manually the WAN port to 100full, I am having a new and weird problem here. This is not triggered by high traffic or anything like that and is reproducible all the time. Here is what happens:

I came to the main PC this morning and find the yellow dialog "LAN is now connected". This means that at some point in the night it has been disconnected. After checking XP logs (Event viewer) I find these messages in a regular basis (every time that my DHCP lease expires), here I transcribe the error sequence:

Category: SYSTEM

28.08.04@20:24:27:
Type: Warning
Source: DHCP
Event ID: 1003
Description: Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 000C6E2F3990. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

29.08.04@1:36:49:
Type: Error
Source: DHCP
Event ID: 1002
Description: The IP address lease 192.168.74.10 for the Network Card with network address 000C6E2F3990 has been denied by the DHCP server 0.0.0.0 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

29.08.04@1:36:49:
Type: Error
Source: IpNATHLP
Event ID: 32003
Description: The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.

At the end it gets an IP and re-establish communication normally.

I also get the following situation that is really weird and don't know if it is related to the one above, this one is not all the time but I have noticed it pretty often during the last days:

I have a command window open with a ping command (ping www.vg.no -t) and suddenly I notice periods of lost pings but they come back to normal. When I check task manager networking tab I can see that I am losing contact during some short periods (they can be from 5 to 30 seconds) but the connection comes back to normal. These periods are shown in the network chart as dead valleys without anything going in or out. It gets fixed power cycling the router.

I am using Oleg's 1.7.5.9(v.3) and I am using the command for setting the WAN port to 100full (nvram command).

I appreciate your help with these 2 problems.

Antiloop
29-08-2004, 14:14
increase your DHCP lease time settings:
IPConfig>DHCP Server>Lease time

probably the current value is 86400 which is one day

enter 31536000 which stands for 365 days which should be enough currently

for the rebooting router issue.. it looks so... try turning of your wl500g for 10 minutes..

Thorz
06-09-2004, 11:54
increase your DHCP lease time settings:
IPConfig>DHCP Server>Lease time

probably the current value is 86400 which is one day

enter 31536000 which stands for 365 days which should be enough currently

for the rebooting router issue.. it looks so... try turning of your wl500g for 10 minutes..
Thanks m8, both things worked like a charm. No more dead valleys in my logs, and the dhcp issue was solved too. Extrange this about the "rebooting" issue, how the heck turning the roouter off (disconnecting it) helped fixing this? I am totally lost in that one, but very happy that it got fixed.

Thorz
15-10-2004, 11:20

The "rebooting" router issue came back :(. I have tried turning off the router for 1 hour without success this time. My logs are showing sporadic dead spots in the connection traffic.
Netlimiter reports between 230 and 330 concurrent connections during the dead periods, the application that is running is Azureus 2.1.0.4 (last official one) with 4 torrents files active (leech/seeds 2/2).

Router has Oleg's firmware 1.7.5.9-5 and the only Flashfs-boot command that I am using is for fixing the WAN speed to 100full.

Does anybody have any idea about how to improve this situation?
Is it recommended to upgrade firmware to the 1.8.x series? I have seen in Asus site that they are now oficial.

Thank you.

lbeuchat
11-01-2005, 12:51
The "rebooting" router issue came back :(. I have tried turning off the router for 1 hour without success this time. My logs are showing sporadic dead spots in the connection traffic.
Netlimiter reports between 230 and 330 concurrent connections during the dead periods, the application that is running is Azureus 2.1.0.4 (last official one) with 4 torrents files active (leech/seeds 2/2).

Router has Oleg's firmware 1.7.5.9-5 and the only Flashfs-boot command that I am using is for fixing the WAN speed to 100full.

Does anybody have any idea about how to improve this situation?
Is it recommended to upgrade firmware to the 1.8.x series? I have seen in Asus site that they are now oficial.

Thank you.

hi
i have same troubles with azureus
do you find any solutions ?

router : wl-500g
Firmware : 1.9.2.7

Thorz
11-01-2005, 19:51
Yeah m8, I sold the Asus and bought a Linksys WRT54GS. All these probs are now a thing from the past, and have even not upgraded the firmware, I am running the one that came with it. It works ok for what I want. I can run bittorrent and eMule on this baby day in, day out without a hick, even at wireless, 2 machines same time.

Sorry for not been very helpful with the Asus, it gave me a great service but I got tired with the problems and gave up.