PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : How add a user, change (root password), etc?

Fatboysec
05-01-2007, 09:24
Hello,

Very simple question but I don't get it right: how can I set the password for the root account?

Also: how do I add a new useraccount ? I use the Password Based access. Otherwise the magnificent photo album doesn't work.

I want to setup dropbear but what if my laptop crashes and I loose the key? Or do I just need to keep it on a cd for example once I've generated it through puttygen ?

Thanks in advance,

Bart

MoD
05-01-2007, 09:34
Hello,

Very simple question but I don't get it right: how can I set the password for the root account?

Also: how do I add a new useraccount ? I use the Password Based access. Otherwise the magnificent photo album doesn't work.

I want to setup dropbear but what if my laptop crashes and I loose the key? Or do I just need to keep it on a cd for example once I've generated it through puttygen ?

Thanks in advance,

Bart

edit or add users in /tmp/passwd file

d3viant
05-01-2007, 19:34
On the ssh key front, as long as you keep your private key safe and backed up, it shouldn't be a problem (I keep mine on my USB flashdrive in my pocket)

Hacksaw
20-04-2007, 19:56

1. I created a new user through the web GUI:
- enable "User Based Share Access" under the "Share Management - Window Setup".
- Create the new user under the "Share Management - User Management" and assign it the password you want to use for root.

2. Now telnet/ssh into your WL-700gE as the root user.

3. Use vi to edit the /etc/passwd (/tmp/passwd) file. You will see an entry for the root user and for the new user you have created. Copy the encrypted password from the new user's entry into the root user's entry. The standard format for a user entry is the following:

Name:Password:UserID:PrincipleGroup:Gecos: HomeDirectory:Shell

Make sure you copy the entire password otherwise you won't be able to log in :-)

4. Save and close the file.

5. Remain logged in through your current shell until you have verified you can login using the newly protected root account. If you can't login then you need to verify that the entire password was copy. Last resort is to return the root entry to have no password.

Hacksaw.

tiwag
01-09-2007, 16:26
i can change the password for the root user without problems
using the methods as already posted above, login works and everything

but there is another serious problem:
the WL700g cannot reboot when the root user has got a password!
it starts continuously rebooting until i do a loong reset and the system
changed back to PBSA.
then i have to restore the original passwd file without root password and
and my router feels fine again with using UBSA.

anybody who had the same problem ?
any workarounds known / possible ?

thx & brgds

anieln
01-09-2007, 23:43
You could check the last two entries..
In my setup user root didn't had a valid home directory and the router also kept on rebooting. For root I use "/" as home.

root:adAfZCARWFPR6:0:42000:root:/:/bin/sh

tiwag
02-09-2007, 14:17
You could check the last two entries..
In my setup user root didn't had a valid home directory and the router also kept on rebooting. For root I use "/" as home.

root:adAfZCARWFPR6:0:42000:root:/:/bin/sh

seems to be you are right,
i did change the home directory too, when i did add the root password.

it works so far with the root password, but i didn't try rebooting till now ...
i assume, it works for you without any other troubles.

brgds

anieln
02-09-2007, 17:31
After the change the continuous rebooting was over..
Have fun!

azizzarazel
12-09-2007, 22:53
Hi
Reading your post with interest as I have the same issue. Telneted to the device but it doesn't seems to have vi as a command. Is this something specific with my box, anyone can help me please. thanks. :confused: