PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Anyway to get the 700G to collect email?

TechnoBill
04-01-2007, 23:26
Hi I am interested in getting this router as I hate leaving PC's on when I am not home. I mainly want it to setup a web cam, or to occassionly remotely instructing it to download stuff so it is there when I get home. I also like the idea of just using it as a media drive for the other pc's too.

One requirement I would really like is to be able to somehow get it to download emails from my hosted site at siteground. I have a problem due to much spam that if I dont regularly collect my emails, the email server starts bouncing legit emails as it gets full. I would love to be able to get the router to collect the mail too (greedy huh?)

Has anybody looked into this at all?

d3viant
05-01-2007, 19:25
It should be possible - there are a fair few options if you install a custom firmware.

The obvious program is probably getmail - you can type your pop3/imap server settings into this programs config and it'll periodically grab the emails from that server.

You could even then have a local-side pop server for other pc's on your home network to grab those emails! (overkill I think though :) )

The only problem is if your external email server uses some weird mail protocol (ie not pop or imap)

TechnoBill
07-01-2007, 00:06
Aah, so from what I gather if you install the custom firmware you can then install other linux apps?

I worry a little about the security siide of things if I install custom firmware, but it sounds promising.

Actually your second suggestion of setting it up as a pop server is the way I would probably go. I use Choicemail to collect my email that automatically challenges senders not on my whitelist to help reduce spammers so I would like to keep using that.

I'll do a bit more reading about installing customer firmware

Thanks for the reply