PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Would like to run a different musicserver on my WL-700gE ... possible ?

i.car
04-01-2007, 09:45
Because the musicserver which comes with the WL-700gE is not really convenient (only go thru, no search allowed, no ID-TAG's support, only playlists) and want to ask if it is possible to install a 3rd party musicserver like Firefly, Twonky, etc. direct on the unit .......

Is it ?

Thanks

n00ben
04-01-2007, 09:51
yes, you can use mt-daapd or the newer (unstable) firefly, for mt-daapd just type in 'ipkg install mt-daapd'

for firefly read up on
http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=5302

/regards
Henrik

i.car
04-01-2007, 10:02
Thank you Sir, but question:

How do I do that ?

Where and how do I have to type in 'ipkg install mt-daapd' ??

and should I have loaded firefly software into the wl-700 hdd ?

Imagine I manage to do that, does it mean that all features I know (browse by ID Tag's, by Titles, by Autors, etc.) will run without using firefly and my notebook too ?

Thanks again

n00ben
04-01-2007, 10:07
well first of all you need to install the custom firmware. Follow all the instructions and then you will have access to your box with putty or whatever you want to use.

see my guide at:
http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=7742,

mt-daapd is a little outdated compared to the newer firefly builds, but start out with that and upgrade when you are a little more comfortable on the box.

Imagine I manage to do that, does it mean that all features I know (browse by ID Tag's, by Titles, by Autors, etc.) will run without using firefly and my notebook too ?

what?!

/regards
Henrik

EDIT:
http://www.wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=7109
this is the custom firmware thread, read it all. There's a lot of info.

i.car
04-01-2007, 10:16

what?!

well, for the time being I had to run my notebook to hear music from the soundbridge because it is more convenient (browse thru titles, keywords, etc.). I want to get the cd-database on my new wl-700 and get it from that instead of having to run the notebook .... the point is that the musicserver which comes with the wl-700ge doesnt allow to browse thur the cd database ....

well, your proposal sounds like linux and so on ..... I will try my best ... anyway thanks for great help ....

i.car
04-01-2007, 14:32
Hi -

I went thru all the threads and documents and had to realize that for someone who isn#t used in changing confs and ini-files and things like that everything you wrote actually sounds very strange ..... so I will havce to wait for a different and easier way (something like type: setup.exe and it works .....)

thanks anyway .....

d3viant
04-01-2007, 15:10
Unfortunately, it'll never be quite that easy :(

Probably the best thing to do is try out a Linux live-cd before playing round with your router. Get the ubuntu 6.10 install cd from www.ubuntu.com if you put this into your pc on boot, it will load the cd in "live mode" this means that it isnt actually installed. This gives you a chance to play around with linux before you look at your router.

It is harder to use Linux - but I have found it gives you much more control over what happens with your pc/router (once you know how to use it that is :) )

There are a fair few people with some Linux experience on this forum, so if you get stuck, just ask for some help