PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Airport Express and the 500g

Nikko1965
23-08-2004, 11:50
Afternoon all,

I've been trying to get the Airport Express working with the 500g all weekend but it's not looking good. I've searched here but I can find no information. The 500g seems to support WDS but clearly it's not the same WDS as Apple. I'm running 1.8.1.7 (which is constantly asking me to login but that's another issue) and it's in Home Gateway mode (I think that's what it's called, top option of Operational Settings page). I've tried WDS only (no good at all - lose contact to outside world) and Hybrid (No different to AP mode). So I'm wondering if I'm perhaps doing something wrong and someone has got the 500g and APex working together (extend current network + music streaming) or am I fighting a losing battle?

Cheers

WlanMan
23-08-2004, 12:46
Hmm, Asus talks only about Hardware from themself when it comes to WDS, so there is a good chance that it only works in between Asus APīs, but since i dont know how WDS is implemented inside the AP so i cant tell you more ...

Somewhere i read that the APex from Apple are slightly modified APīs from another vendor with a hardly modified firmware, maybe you try to install this other firmware ?

Antiloop
23-08-2004, 13:17
Afternoon all,

I've been trying to get the Airport Express working with the 500g all weekend but it's not looking good. I've searched here but I can find no information. The 500g seems to support WDS but clearly it's not the same WDS as Apple. I'm running 1.8.1.7 (which is constantly asking me to login but that's another issue) and it's in Home Gateway mode (I think that's what it's called, top option of Operational Settings page). I've tried WDS only (no good at all - lose contact to outside world) and Hybrid (No different to AP mode). So I'm wondering if I'm perhaps doing something wrong and someone has got the 500g and APex working together (extend current network + music streaming) or am I fighting a losing battle?

Cheers
do the devices work both correctly anyway because you are stating you are asked to login everytime ?

Nikko1965
23-08-2004, 14:25
do the devices work both correctly anyway because you are stating you are asked to login everytime ?

The Express is working fine, I can set up a wireless network with it to stream iTunes, but I can't get it to join my existing Asus AP network and do the same. Consequently I can access the net OR stream tunes, not both.

I upgraded the 500g firmware last Saturday using the latest release on the Asus site and since then it's asking me to login everytime I click on another link from http://192.168.1.1 and this didn't happen with 1.6.x.x that it came with. Even though I click on "Remember My Password" it continues to ask me. Pretty annoying.

Nikko1965
02-09-2004, 10:44
Well I tried and tried but it just wouldn't work so I bought a second Airport Express and now I have what I need: an efficient 802.11g network which can be used to browse the web from the laptop while streaming music to my amp while someone plays with the PS2 online. And it's a printserver as well.

As such my 500g is now sat idle which is a shame as it's a good little unit but if anyone out there in the Amsterdam area is looking for a good as new 500g with all packaging for a fair price, let me know.

Cheers,

Nick