PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : WL500gP - Brick that I cant unbrick

Hakan
31-12-2006, 15:59
I thought I go back to DD-WRT because OpenWRT and I didn't fit me. I ran some non working flashing times with clean, recover and then dd-wrt .trx files. One time i ran clean.tex file the system locked up at the same time because of a hard drive soon to be replaced. Now the router is a brick. No responding to pinging or anything.

I have tried the pin 9 trick (Chips leg and unused resistor spot to the side of the power connector and GND at UART a couple of times. 5 to 30 secs.) to reset the flash but it hasn't work. The weird thing is that when in recovery mode (The power led don't flash if not put to recovery mode with reset button) the ping response is different. To a not used IP the response is "Destination host unreachable" but to 192.168.0.1 (the unit had that IP before with OpenWRT) the response is "Request timed out".

So I'm sitting here, with a brick and don't know how to unbrick the brick. Any tips or tricks up in any sleeve?

jugax
07-01-2007, 00:21
Any luck on this?

Hakan
07-01-2007, 12:21
Any luck on this?
No... I have tried every solution but haven't had any luck. I will try some more times with pin 9 trick. Feels like I have bricked a router with flashing that cant be bricked with flashing, what I have read.

EDIT!
Around the same problem I have but no answer: http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=7282

jespren
09-01-2007, 20:29
Which LAN card do you use on your pc?
Problem is that some Nvidia adapters and Intel gigabit....and so,
don't respond on ping when unit is bricked.
Try with some usual 3com or Realtek PCI card, or some old
PC with lan adapter.:D

Have a nice 007 year:cool:

Hakan
13-01-2007, 12:02
I have a integrated Nvidia something in a nForce 2 motherboard. I have now tried it with two D-Link DSL 530TX, rev A and C, and a old Winbond with the same result. The LED flashes as it is working, holding reset button under boot = flashing power LED. The unit doesn't ask my DHCP server for IP if i plug in the unit in my local network to its WAN port. It's dead.

sivan_ms
13-01-2007, 21:32
I have a integrated Nvidia something in a nForce 2 motherboard. I have now tried it with two D-Link DSL 530TX, rev A and C, and a old Winbond with the same result. The LED flashes as it is working, holding reset button under boot = flashing power LED. The unit doesn't ask my DHCP server for IP if i plug in the unit in my local network to its WAN port. It's dead.

Did you tried asus frimware recowery tool and configrated your lan card manual to 192.168.1.2
(no DHCP)
and then flashed with recouvery flash files ??

Hakan
13-01-2007, 22:48
Did you tried asus frimware recowery tool and configrated your lan card manual to 192.168.1.2
(no DHCP)
and then flashed with recouvery flash files ??
Asus Firmware Recovery Tool never have worked for me. Even the first time i flashed from Asus to DD-WRT. (Then to OpenWRT and then tried to flash back to DD-WRT and this mess started.)

As above I get different ping responses if i ping 192.168.0.1 or any other IP then the router online. Don't remember if it's always like that or only in recovery mode. 192.168.0.1 was the IP of the router before it was bricked.

My networks I now use is configured so my temp router (m0n0wall) uses 192.168.0.2 and DHCP clients not the IP 192.168.0.1. So its just plugging in the router and start pinging and trying. No manual configuration or anything.

Can try one more time manual configuration of the Windows machine and try some more with pinging with "new" (other) network card and pin 9 trick.

EDIT!
I have now tried pinging the router with the other network cards in a own local network. No luck... I even tested to change the waiting time out time for the pinging. From normal ~5secs(?) to 60 secs with the same result.

sivan_ms
14-01-2007, 19:17
I dont andrestand what you are saying just make it easy make a link like this computer <-------------->router-LAN1 port
but in wl-500gP Quck Start Guide i can see Default IP adress is 192.168.1.1 and then :

i did så manuel in windows computer 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
then conected like this : computer <-------------->router-LAN1 port i cant ping the router ,no answer , it dos not ask DHCP for ip . it is dead!

then i run Firmware Restoration and choose WL500gp-1.9.2.7-7f.trx i downloaded that from http://oleg.wl500g.info/1.9.2.7-7f/WL500gp-1.9.2.7-7f.zip

and then clicked at upload .... 1 min later my router is alive !
one time, long time ago i had used two files to make my flash clean using Firmware Restoration :
wl500g-clear-nvram.trx
wl500g-recover.trx
try this too
and then flashed by oleg using Firmware Restoration and last oleg frimware . try that

Hakan
14-01-2007, 21:17
I know what my problem was with the pinging. I was so locked on to 192.168.0.1 because it gave different respond when the router was offline or online (In it's recovery mode). When I read sivan_ms (Swedish?) last message I tried with IP 192.168.1.3 on Windows machine and tested pinging 192.168.1.1 and it worked.

PS: I thought it worked to have IP 192.168.0.x on Windows to have contact with 192.168.1.x. But not... Ahh, its the netmask the does the thing.

Well, now to the flashing hell. Asus Firmware Restoration only say "Invalid IP address" when I have chosen a firmware to flash the unit with. When flashing with tftp the unit always goes back to recovery mode. I have tried flashing the unit with clear -> recover -> dd-wrt, with no luck. Tried flashing with dd-wrt over ten times in a row with no luck. Tried asus and oleg with no luck. tftp says that the upload was complete but rebooting the unit and it jumps back to recovery mode. I have even tried to wait 0 (speedy version), 5, 10, 20, 30 secs between every steep. start to recovery mode and led flashes -> WAIT -> flash -> WAIT -> shut down -> WAIT -> boot ... and the unit jumps in to recovery mode.

The router has always been hard for me to flash but this time it feels like it's more then hard.

Why is it so hard to flash the router?

EDIT!
I thought about that invalid IP address thing and thought that: I give it a shot with flresh Windows installation. In with spare drive and then installed Windows, in with drivers for the system and then flashing. Asus flash program with DD-WRT V23 SP2, and it worked! This feels a little weird. Network works fine at that old Windows installation but something was weirdly wrong. Windows is Windows and it sometimes behaves weird.

The two things that was wrong in this case:
1. I used 192.168.0.x on firmware upload machine but 255.255.255.x makes so 192.168.0.x cant connect to 192.168.1.x. (Stupidity from my side)
2. Windows... AUGH!!!1 :) (A little abnormal problem in Windows.)

Thanks for all the help. I hope I have left some details that can help someone ells.

I had a hard time finding information about the pin 9 trick. I searched and searched and didn't find it but then stumbled over it. Pointing to it now: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2507

mistersticky
15-10-2011, 04:27
I just wanted to say thank you to Hakan and everyone on the forums.

I have spent a week and many hours trying to revive my dead WL-500GP V2. From suspecting a bad power supply to ripping the router apart and threatening to short pins and many MANY reset attempts it turns out my issue was as well with windows. Even when i tried on a few different windows 7 systems it did not work, i had to fire up an old win2k3 server i had burried in the basement and install the asus utility -and VOILA!

It finally uploaded the stock firmware so i can now try a copy of Tomato DualWAN on it.

WOOHOO!

Cheers,
Ian