PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : how do i defragment the drive

chlubb
13-12-2006, 16:30
the windows defrag and other programs i have dont give me the option to defrag the hd on the asus.
any ideas?
chris

fireflash
13-12-2006, 23:41
You don't. It's file system is less prone to fragmentation unlike NTFS in Windows.

chlubb
14-12-2006, 15:27
NTFS. Mine says it in the properties that it is an NTFS network drive.

I have tried some other programs but none will recognize it.

fireflash
14-12-2006, 23:09
NTFS. Mine says it in the properties that it is an NTFS network drive.

I have tried some other programs but none will recognize it.

It's not NTFS, the filesystem on the hard drive is reiserfs. Windows is probably saying its an NFS network drive. Big difference from NTFS. NFS is kind of a generic filesystem interface for network storage. The host filesystem (what is really on the router) is completely different.

chlubb
15-12-2006, 02:05
Please look at my screen shot. It clearly says NTFS, not NFS, I do know the difference.
http://www.melaniawines.com/help/wl700ge.jpg

fireflash
15-12-2006, 04:25
Mine says the same thing, but it's not NTFS. Trust me. Besides, would you really want to try and defrag a hard drive over a network? That would be painfully slow.

It says right here:

/dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 on / type cramfs (rw)
/dev on /dev type devfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
ramfs on /tmp type ramfs (rw)
ramfs on /shares type ramfs (rw)
ramfs on /foreign_shares type ramfs (rw)
/dev/se/2 on /shares/MYVOLUME1 type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
/dev/se/2 on /opt type reiserfs (rw,noatime,nodiratime)

Don't always trust what Windows says. The router doesn't run Windows, it runs an embedded form of Linux. NTFS is incredibly difficult to write to (thanks to Microsoft), and it's not a native *nix filesystem.

chlubb
15-12-2006, 13:06
the part that confused me was when you were telling me it was saying NFS and not NTFS when i was sitting in front of it. It clearly does say NTFS but as you say, who knows why.
I guess there is no recourse for this idea.
Thanks for your help.

fireflash
15-12-2006, 22:44
the part that confused me was when you were telling me it was saying NFS and not NTFS when i was sitting in front of it. It clearly does say NTFS but as you say, who knows why.
I guess there is no recourse for this idea.
Thanks for your help.

Yeah sorry about that. I wasn't sitting in front of Windows when I typed that so I was kinda guessing.