PDA

Bekijk de volledige versie : Transfer alternatives !

calebz
06-12-2006, 20:49
Hey

Since all the leet stuff is working the BIGGEST problem imho is the speed that you get from your Routers HDD to you computer.
Im looking for some alternavie way to transfer files where removing it from the USB Enclosure is out of the question since its not the "lazy" way of doing it.

On USB connection:
Ive tried some ext2 driver for XP with little sucess. The drive was present at the list but I couldnt acess it.
Ive also tried some explored for ext2 but that didnt give the desired speeds.

Please post what you did to get proper transfers or suggest and alternative and easy way of doing it.

40mins per DVD isnt exacly 2007.

EddieZ
06-12-2006, 23:41
Perhaps it is very 2007. Take more time, take it easy, relax.

Asus is really into this new trend :)

calebz
07-12-2006, 10:28
Any chance of using NTFS ? Maybe that would work normally when plugged to PC ?

Check this out http://www.ntfs-3g.org/index.html

calebz
07-12-2006, 11:56
Ok Ive tried this http://ext2fsd.sourceforge.net/ via USB
However I only got 600mb of stuff in target dir.
The result is pretty strange because the speed starts at around 2mb/sec then after a couple of 15mb rars passed it starts to accelerate up to 15mb then I ran out of stuff to copy. If I try to copy it again right after it finished 1st time again it starts at 2mb/sec and goes up after a moment.

Also ive notived that unplugging the HDD while the router is working/leeching torrents crashes it with no other alternative then hard reset. Webpage admin wont work neither will putty connect to it.
Bypassing the fact of constant lurking behind the computer to plug the HDD in
I think 15mb isnt that bad.

PS. Trying to copy stuff in work dir ends up with constant 2mb/sec but Im gonna wait to test some 6gb file when its done.

oleo
07-12-2006, 15:23
Also ive notived that unplugging the HDD while the router is working/leeching torrents crashes it with no other alternative then hard reset. Webpage admin wont work neither will putty connect to it.

You have swap partition on hard disk and wondering why unplugging disk causes hung up?

Modify Pause button to stop all daemons on disk, politely unmount all partitions and issue swapoff on partition. And reverse procedure too! with ext2fsk

I remember that there were instructions in space capsule how to open the dors. The only problem was that instructions were written on it and that pressing relief button blown away all instructions too. This should be a lesson to you when investigating deep space. Don't cut off the branch that you are sitting on!

calebz
07-12-2006, 20:40
umm ok i get the umount part and swapoff
but how do I know which daemons run atm ? any way of listing them ?
I assume XXX stop is the command ?
What about cron and running the daemons while the hdd is out ?
What do you mean adding to pause ? doesnt it already pause the downloads ?

calebz
08-12-2006, 16:49
Ummm I get 4mb/sec when the drive is plugged directly to PC with SATA:S
wtf?

oleo
08-12-2006, 22:14
My rough testing with ext2fs on winXP and USB2 PATA disk is 1GB/min.
Direct copy from PATA 200GB to SATA 320GB disk today was 43MB/s average.

If you have all software run on disk then you should umount /opt and swappoff. You cannot do this unless you unroll all daemons and closes open files.
You can write a CGI script to do this via web interface. The easiest way is to tailor /opt/etc/init.d scripts to handle stop argument and then call each one after another like starting. All modern unix system handle starting/stopping in this way.

calebz
09-12-2006, 10:13
They are pretty unstable once I get poop once it goes 20mb very strange...
Have you looked on the NTFS driver link I posted above ?

oleo
09-12-2006, 22:48
"cleanly" umount the drive ? Script?

killall smbd
killall stupid-ftpd
kill `cat /opt/var/run/transmission.pid`
killall busybox_httpd
sleep 10
umount /opt
swapoff /dev/disk/disk0/lun0/part2

But the simplest way for you is to press reset button for 5 seconds. This will halt the router. Unplug. Reconnect power for reboot.
When adding disk back. Just cycle power.

Linux caches disk writes if enough memory. 32MB is not very helpfull. Bu I can tell that after more than a year of burn in operation it still works w/o a problem. Just take care of proper cooling and that's it.

NTFS wont solve the speed problems on router. Rather it will make more speed drop. And this is kernel topic. I am sure that no one is willing to port the kernel patches. Do you?

calebz
12-12-2006, 16:20
Ok so Im using ext2fsd. Im plugging the HDD directly to the PC and
Copy of the files that were downloaded by the router still takes ages.
When trying to copy from PC to HDD i get 35mb/sec the same goes for downloading the file that was uploaded by PC.
So only the router downloaded files go 2-4mb/sec.

Maybe there is some problem with ext3 used by the router ?

calebz
27-02-2007, 23:09
Has any1 tried this - Linksys Network Attached Storage - NSLU2-EU.

Im gettin kinda annoyed by the speeds I get from the HDD attached to the router maybe this thing would solve the problem ?
Think it would be possible to mount the drive on 500gp via Ethernet?

wrom
28-02-2007, 10:13
Ok so Im using ext2fsd. Im plugging the HDD directly to the PC and
Copy of the files that were downloaded by the router still takes ages.
When trying to copy from PC to HDD i get 35mb/sec the same goes for downloading the file that was uploaded by PC.
So only the router downloaded files go 2-4mb/sec.

Maybe there is some problem with ext3 used by the router ?

That's not the "problem", it's just hardware limits, if you are hurry you have to buy quicker hw.
Maybe kernel patches can gain some speed-ups, but imo nothing dramatic.